Advice please 2009 A W169

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scot22

Car
mercedes a class 2012
I have seen a petrol 2009 Elegance 1700 with 62,000 miles on the clock. Is there anything costly due to come up ? Should I look for a later W169 say the last at 2012 ?

If it's a CVT, then ATF should have been done at 37k (service 20).
I believe this is the priciest one of all the additional items.

Other than that:

Service 4 - Brake fluid: every 2yrs
Service 6 - Dust filter: every 25k / 2yrs
Service 8 - Air filter: every 50k / 4yrs
Service 11 - Fuel filter: every 155k / 15yrs
Service 12 - Spark plugs (M266 except 266.980): every 31k-43k / 4yrs
Service 13 - Coolant: every 155k / 15yrs

At least that's what I have for my 2006 A200 Petrol CVT, the service schedule might have changed for 2009 MY.

Very much appreciated GLK - exactly what I needed. Any possible (crystal ball needed) non planned maintenance problems ?

Apart from looking after the CVT, as in having ATF changed every 35k or so, and not shifting into gear, until the engine warms up a bit (RPMs drop below 1k), I am not aware of any specific problem ...

Obviously helps, if the car has been taken care of by previous owner(s).

As to the transmission oil change - if there's any doubt it's been done, as scheduled, I'd do it right away. In fact, at 62k I'd do it regardless, even it it was done on time.

Olly at PCS offers a fantastic deal (well, he did ;) ) on ATF change and you can be 110% sure it'll be done properly.

The 2009 A169 will be a facelift model, and will have revised door seams. On some earlier examples there were reports of the seams rusting; MB changed them and resolved the issue.

Only other item over and above that already mentioned would be the auxilliary drive belt. I would change it if not already done, but it is not a service item, just 'check visible part'.

Other than that, nothing particular for these. If not a full MB history, check that the plugs were changed as whilst not difficult, access is a bit awkward, and thus takes a bit longer, due to engine being canted over. Some general garages might not bother.

CVT is a matter of personal preference. I would suggest a decent test drive to ensure that it suits if not familiar.

These posts are very much appreciated. Another complication has arisen. Just seen a W169 2011 Avantgarde 2000 diesel but only 31,000 miles on the clock. I am concerned with this lowish mileage the DPF may be in a poor way along with other engine problems.
I do around 10,000 miles a year, rarely motorway : not slow but steady driver.
Pricewise it works out O.K. however, now wondering which is the better option. Maintenance costs and noise difference are two considerations.
Not started new thread - I think sufficiently linked.

Can't say anything about the diesel version, as I've never owned a diesel, and unlikely to now, seeing where the political wind is blowing these days ...

Anyway, maintenance cost and, importantly - predictability was/is important for me too, that's why my cars have been on MB Service Care plans for the last five years. It's been discussed many times recently, so not going to repeat it - main advantages for me - is knowing exactly how much it will cost me (£30 a month), and the fact that, all the extra items due (e.g. as listed above) are included. Free MB Roadside Assistance is great too.

Bought a 2011 W169 180cdi for my wife when it was 6 months old. 4 years and 50,000 miles later it hasn't put a foot wrong. Manual version and serviced at MB , it's now due for front discs and pads at 56,000 miles .
Has been used on the school run for 3 years, lot of stop starts , but no problems.

One of the best things about the car is how deceptively roomy it is , I call it the "Tardis", legroom back & front is great.The boot is very square in that there are no suspension intrusions, and a child's buggy fits in easily. Went to Belgium , four up , with luggage last year - plenty of room.
On two occasions someone's managed to hit the wing mirrors so that they were literally hanging by the wires , it's so well built that I simply had to clip them back into place - no cracks or marks.
One small problem , it's got parking sensors and very early into ownership a stone hit one of the sensors and you have to remove the bumper to refit it , MB quoted about £500 , not had it done yet.

Re the diesel / dpf, you can't really conclude anything from the mileage. Even on a low mileage car it might still primarily be used on long runs and, if not, might still have had regular extended drives to clear the dpf.

The diesels feel heavier on the front end and IMHO, the petrol feels smoother (wife has had both diesel and petrol for past 12 years).

The petrols are reasonably economical in normal use, diesels more so. Depends how important mpg is.
10,000 miles pa probably means that you get decent trips in. Diesels are, or certainly were,slightly more expensive to service, primarily due to more frequent fuel filter change, but, from memory, it's only every 4 years, so not a huge difference.

The detailed information is invaluable. I am grateful to everyone who has provided support for my decision making. Looks like getting the best deal and going for it. W169 it is.

If it's a CVT run for the hills shocking gearbox ours was serviced all as should be by still failed leading to a worthless car sold for parts shamefull engineering the car was perfect in all other departments quoted many thousand to repai
Last Mercedes for me so hello and goodbye

Mine's a 2010 petrol manual and unfailingly reliable. I thought about changing it recently,but have now decided to keep it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom