Advice Please: 3.2CDI not reving over 3K

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boggie

Hi All,

Our W210 320CDI has developed a strange intermittent fault. Whilst driving up the motorway at about 50MPH on Friday night I noticed that if I tried to accelerate to overtake, the car did not drop down a gear. If I put my foot down the revs did not rise immediately as normal, they only gradually increased as the car slowly accelerated in top gear. Kickdown was not working either. So I tried manually changing down a gear and accelerating but the car did not respond, the revs just stayed at 3000. with my foot on the floor. Next I tried dropping the car into neutral and put my foot down but again, the engine hit 3K and no more.

Apart from that the car was driving ok so I continued my journey. After about 100 miles I stopped for fuel, this meant the car was switched off for about 5 minutes. When I started off again the car was back to how it should be. I could kickdown a gear and the engine would rev strongly, right through the range. However after a while the problem came back again and I could not rev past 3K. If I stop the car for a few minutes and set of again the problem goes away but always returns after a while.

Any of you tech gurus out there know what may be wrong? I have a service coming up so would appreciate any advice and possible reasons before I go.

Many thanks!

Probably a sticky EGR valve causing the ECU to adopt limp home mode.

Seconeded.

Or the inlet port shut off flaps are not connected anymore.

Hi mate,

Sounds like it has gone into limp mode for whatever reason , stopping and starting sometimes will reset it if it isn't a major fault , but it will return ( as you have seen ) , get to a garage and get the fault codes read , then you will know where to start.

Best wishes

H

Probably a sticky EGR valve causing the ECU to adopt limp home mode.

Interesting, thanks. Where is it please and is it possible to remove and unstick-it?

You really need it plugged in first to see if that is the problem, otherwise you maybe wasting your time.

Thanks Guys,

Turned out to be a faulty air mass sensor. Replaced it and all is now well.

Boggie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom