(advice please) Going to change Dizzy cap on my R107SL

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Timper

Car
Merc
Following on from this thread...

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/143641-whats-wrong-my-r107sl.html

the problem actually went away over the warmer months so i didnt do anything about it.

However, it is back with a vengance!

Can has been parked for long periods in the cold / damp and now, it starts up but doesnt want to go! when you accelerate it sounds like you are strangling it.

So, few questions, hope you can help.

Do i HAVE to buy the original cap from Mercedes Benz main dealer @ £110 OR can i get away with a BERU unit supplied by GSF? (it is a lot cheaper, less than half the price of main dealer). Surely they are just as good?

Should I replace rotor arm at the same time?

Any helpful hints and tips to make the job easy as possible in the dark and so i can do it without creating another job would be most appreciated too.

Thanks in advance.

I was always of the opinion that if you fit a new dizzy cap, then you should fit a new rotor arm at the same time. Sorry, can't help about the Beru one, but surely worth a try? If it doesn't work, you can always return it.

I would certainly replace the rotor arm at the same time as well.

I see from the other thread that your's is a 300. When I replaced mine (on a V8) I used an aftermarket one (can't recall the make, it was years ago) and had no problems with it.

Looking on google, Beru appears to be part of BorgWarner. The other thread suggested that the 300 has a seal on the cap, so I would also replace that for the extra couple of £.

Dizzie caps and rotor arms are critical components.
Don't fit cheap ones.
Beru are a good make.
I would give them a try.
Change one thing at a time, then you can analyse what difference each component makes.

Thanks guys. I think I will buy the BERU unit from GSF and ask about a rotor arm at the same time and if they do the seal fine, other wise buy that from MBUK. Let's hope it's all the problem.

In my experience, BERU ignition parts are of excellent quality. They are an OE supplier to MB and make ignition parts for several models :)

Thank you to all the advice given on here.

Managed to get all three Allen bolts off. Then bottom one is a real bugger!

Here's the old cap and rotor arm... What a horrible mess!

Ps forgot to say, very happy with the quality and feel of the BERU pars supplied by GS&F.

Just took the car for a short run and pleased to report all 6 cylinders firing in silly smooth order and the car feels lovely. Just like a Merc should. Thanks again for the tips and pointers on here to everyone.

NExt time you do this job, replace the rubber O ring that seals the dizzy cap, essential on the 6 cylinder models.

Thanks jay. I remember you saying it on the other thread. I was gonna change it but today I had the cap and arm and I just wanted to get the job done. I think might just order it from Merc and fit it. IIRC They are around £20ish quid yes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom