Advice please on calipers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tudu

MB Enthusiast
Car
05 C200K Sport Edition (Kleemann)
Hi all, the guy who is fitting my new discs and pads, says i should really get my calipers shotblasted professionally before painting. A local company has offered to blast and paint the calipers for £100.00 (£50 per hour) as they reckon its a 2 hour job. Is this worth it in the longer term? or am i about to be ripped off.

It would guarentee a good surface to paint, but whether it's really worth the aggro as opposed to just cleaning an dpainting is another issue.

It probably depends on the colour, black just paint, silver maybe shot blast.

Shot blasting or bead blasting is argumentative in that it can peen over rust and corrosion and leave it under the surface to re appear at a later stage.

Very good results can be had with many of the products on the home market

I've always had excellent results with a jet wash, a wire brush, some alloy wheel cleaner, another jet wash and then a coat of hammerite myself. I'd can't say I'd go to the bother of shot blasting, unless you've got the equipment already available it'd probably be cheaper to buy exchange calipers tbh.

I've always had excellent results with a jet wash, a wire brush, some alloy wheel cleaner, another jet wash and then a coat of hammerite myself. I'd can't say I'd go to the bother of shot blasting, unless you've got the equipment already available it'd probably be cheaper to buy exchange calipers tbh.

Thats the way to do it, as above

Thanks for really useful comments. Will clean, wire brush and paint as they will be black, and of course save the money for another mod.

When are you having the discs fitted Tudu ?

I have been really busy with another week of meetings in Bristol and other parts of the south west. I have decided to take my car of the road on Friday 22nd so the discs, pads and calipers can be done. The following week i loose my car for 2 days as it's in having the front bumper removed and resprayed due to time i spend driving on motorway's stone chips have taken their toll and i really need to get it done. Hopefully, my carbon fibre AMG front bumper lip should have arrived by then which i can get fitted at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom