Advice please on Network Backup and Storage Home Office

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveatpipex

Car
CLK 270 and BMW Z4 with a VFR750 sadly off the road
I have previously been using a Netgear SC101 network storage for backup but want to replace it because it is so unreliable.
My requirement is just to automatically back up from my Desktop and laptop in a home office network across a 10/100 network. I have looked at the Netgear ReadyNAS Duo and the Buffalo Linkstation duo, (both around £210). The size of storage is not that important, but reliability is (The SC101 were noted for poor reliability especially if having to reformat Windows etc and mine has been problematic)
I like the idea of being able to access the storage from elsewhere via the web, but this is not critical, and i like the idea of having the 2 hard drive bays in the device in case 1 breaks (RAID??).
Anybody got any suggestions about possible kit, or experience of either of the two i mention above?

Running two Buffalo Terastations.
Easy to manage, and 100% reliability so far (2 years)

I have two Terastations at my place too (one approaching 3 years old), although one is on loan while I attempt an upgrade to the other :)

The company I currently work for also run rackmount terastations as cheap, easy storage for backups alongside tape.

Thanks guys. I'm favouring the Buffalo after my experience with the SC101, you have confirmed it for me:)

the Netgear ReadyNAS Duo and the Buffalo Linkstation duo, (both around £210). The size of storage is not that important,

I've used a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo for about 16 months for nearline backup.

We had two hangups in that period (physical reboot of the unit required). It's been OK for the last few months since the latest firmware upgrade.

I'm currently neutral on it. It's not a bad piece of kit but not a fantastic one either. It's quiet and unobtrusive. It can be configured to power up on schedule. But no Wakeup-on-LAN option. It doesn't feel very sophisticated. And it's not that cheap.

I have a 'Drobo' & 'Droboshare'. It gives drive failure protection with a 'RAID-less' array. The Drobo is available in 4 drive or 10 drive versions. Haven't used much else, but it seems pretty good to me, fwiw

I have 2 Buffalo drives both of which are outstanding. 100% reliable, quiet and fast. Before, I had 2 Iomega drive, both failed twice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom