Advice please on w124

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Boss

MB Enthusiast
Car
private!
hello

i came back from honeymoon last weekend, and went to get the 124 cabrio out of the garage.

few problems.. please advise if possible

1. i got in, and moved car out of the garage. the seat belt arms projected out, and then would not stop and continued to move fwd. to the point the drivers door arm came out of its sliding socket and is now hanging down. When attempting to push it back, it met resistance.

2. i went to the passenger side, and the same happened and now both arms are hanging down off the sliding rail.

the motors do not seem to stop and seem to both be continually be powering the arms no matter if the belt is clipped in or not, or if the doors are open or closed..

3. i have removed 2 fuses from the front, and this stopped the arms from powering up, but also the mirrors have stopped working.. and i have also noticed the central locking is not functioning now.

4. i found a bottle of water in the back, behind the drivers seat, and some water had spilt out and the carpet was a little wet.

has this got anything to do with it?

any advice appreciated

thanks

Dillan

Last edited:
UPDATE.

Today pulled out the rear seat, had a look at base.

On the drivers side, when i removed the base of the seat, the lining under had a wet patch.

On removing the bottom lining, there were a few module boxes, one which was recessed in the corner next to the side panel.

This appeared damp, and beneath it in a cavity space appeared the reflection of water.

I did not remove the module, but i could see some still water , perhaps a cm or two deep.

i am conclusive that the water is the cause of the fault, but my main question is, how did it get there??

the seat base appeared totally dry, and i think the water, as ridiculous as it may sound, has come from underneath :(

any pointers would be much appreciated!

wasnt it garaged?

Has someone been driving it in the rain while you were away honeymooning?

If not then perhaps your initial bottle of water theory is correct.

Check the rubber bung underneath and behind the rear wheel set into the rear most under panel of the car is -

A) Present. If its not, water get into that space driven there by the rear wheel.
B) If the bung is there check it is not blocked it should have 3 holes in it. This lets water escape from that area should it get in there through a dodgy book seal.

I could be wrong but others will correct me if I am.

car not driven, yes it was garaged, and the only water i can think of was the water from the bottle.. as the rear drivers side carpet is wet to the touch.

But this water i found today was higher up, not at floor level, but seat level, and i can not see how water got in.

interestingly, with that module that i mentioned finding, located in that recess, it has a mounting bracket, with two screws positioned, however, one of the screws was missing??? dunno if that could cause water to get in... but im just concerned something is not right.. i have had various problems with the 124 after leaving my car for 2-3 weeks with a garage to get the window regulator and motors sorted earlier in the year... hmmm

car not driven, yes it was garaged, and the only water i can think of was the water from the bottle.. as the rear drivers side carpet is wet to the touch.

But this water i found today was higher up, not at floor level, but seat level, and i can not see how water got in.

interestingly, with that module that i mentioned finding, located in that recess, it has a mounting bracket, with two screws positioned, however, one of the screws was missing??? dunno if that could cause water to get in... but im just concerned something is not right.. i have had various problems with the 124 after leaving my car for 2-3 weeks with a garage to get the window regulator and motors sorted earlier in the year... hmmm

Possibly some clues?

Is that module covered in foam....??

That's the convenience module that controls most of the units you described that's almost certainly the source of your problem. Disconnect the battery - remove the unit by disconnecting the 2/3? plugs and try to dry it and the plugs out with a hair dryer maybe stick it in an airing cupboard for a couple of days. With a bit of luck the water may have only shorted out the plugs not the internal electronic board. fingers crossed. Leaking water from the bottle may have "wicked up" from the carpet and may have undergone a series of vaporisation steps followed by condensation on the control module. Other possibility is you have an on going roof/ window leak which has accumulated in the space below the seat. piccy

Last edited:
I wonder if they left the car outside with the window down when they were fixing it for two weeks.....??

So a W124 cabriolet with faults.

That's got to be worth about £3k then...

My goodness you Brits never give up do you - I was thinking £2k

weird that you should say this mr boss man

on the w124 coupe that i use the passenger window regulator is nackered so it is occasionally left partially open when others use my car so rain gets in but i just wipe the seat down and get on with it and tell them to manually pull the window shut the last 2"

but the passenger seatbelt thingy was doing what yours does but we just got primeval with it and showed it who was boss when it started playing up but thats the side where the rain got in

seems thats my problem too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom