Advice please re gas supplier

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeighW

Car
'06 Jaguar XJ, '00 Obsidian black CLK320 Avantgarde, '05 Mitsi Colt, '96 GMC Safari
Ok, apologies in advance for the long post, but here goes.

I moved into my house last May, and as is the norm, tried to sort out my utility supplies and set up direct debits. The previous owners left me meter readings etc, and told me that the electricity and gas were supplied by npower. However, when I contacted npower by telephone, they informed me that they were not the supplier to my property. I then telephoned transco and quoted my MPAN number, so that they could tell me who was supplying my gas. They told me that my MPAN number didn't exist, and that my address was not on their database. Confused, I then contacted my house's previous owners to ask them. They said that they had been in the process of changing from npower to british gas before they sold the house, but had no paperwork left, apart from an npower statement dated March 06. Armed with this statement, I then contacted npower again, who told me that they stopped supplying my property in March 06, but could not tell me who the current supplier was.

After many futile telephone calls to transco, and all the utility suppliers I could think of, i still drew a blank. They all insisted that my property didn't exist (!). I pointed out that my house was on a development built in 2001, and was half way along a road of 60 or 70 houses, but no-one could help. At this point, I must admit to giving up.

Then in August, out of the blue, I received a letter from scottish power welcoming me to my new home! They said they were my electricity suplier. I rang them, and they then informed me that they were also my gas supplier. 'Great' I thought, problem solved. I arranged for them to send me a direct debit mandate and up to date bill. I then had another letter from them saying that in fact they were not my gas supplier after all! They did however, sort out my electricity account, and confirm my MPAN number for my gas.
So, back on the phone to transco, armed with my MPAN number, which was correct all along. Transco were actually of some use this time, and said that my gas wasn't actually piped by them, it was a private pipeline company called quadrant pipelines. I then called quadrant pipelines who informed me that my gas supplier was in fact british gas. (Are you getting bored yet? There's more... :D )
I then telephoned british gas, and told him the situation. He said categorically that they were not my gas supplier, and that neither my address nor MPAN number existed on their database. I said there must be some mistake, and that the previous owners had moved to them from npower. He was quite helpful, and said that what had probably happened was that the account was 'lost' somewhere during the change over. He also said that it was therefore quite likely that I would never get billed for any gas!!! I asked him to confirm in writing to me that they were not my gas supplier, as I wanted to cover my back. Guess what, I received nothing. I have since emailed british gas twice (copies and a log of all this has been kept) asking them to tell me if they are, or if they are not, my gas supplier. I have had no response whatsoever.

So this is where I currently am, quadrant pipelines insist british gas is my supplier, british gas say they are not. I cannot 'sign up' to any other supplier without being able to tell them who my current supplier is, furthermore they all insist my address and MPAN number don't exist. I am also limited to who can supply my gas, as it it not piped by transco. I have not paid for any gas since I moved into this house last May, and am unable to do so. What should I do? I don't like the thought of a huge gas bill dropping unexpectedly on my doormat! Can i write to british gas, and say that unless they respond within 'X' number of days, that I will not pay for any outstanding bills? Surely there is something that I can do to sort this mess? :crazy:

Any advice would be gratefully received! :)

Last edited:
Stuff em all! I would do nothing and save what I would normally spend on gas every month. If you ever get a bill then at least you can pay it! Making sure you take monthly meter readings of course. If no-one wants your money then just what the heck are you supposed to do???

There must be someone with a legal background out there that could clear this up.

I think that you have done all that you can but I would keep a record of all your calls and correspondence. You prolly have so my apologies.

OK, I used to work for BG before the industry as a whole went into such turmoil but where you stand legally, assuming you have not signed ANY contracts with ANY other suppliers, is that you have notional contract with whoever supplied gas to the property before, ie to the last owner. I forget the legal term for this, 'assumed' or 'assigned' or something similar.

Sooner or later the penny might will drop with 'a supplier' and either; you will get a bill for the gas used and therefore you will find out who your supplier is or, someone, (usually the last known supplier), will turn up and remove the meter because of percieved non usage. Eventually though, about six months after the meter has gone, someone will turn up, (typically TRANSCO), and remove the actual gas supply / service itself.

Other than at point one, (and thats with 28 days notice), you will be free to choose another supplier.

I think that all makes sense.

Portzy.

Last edited:
The line sounds like it was probably not owned by BGT which is why your MPR & MPAN was not registered? is it a new build? Your gas supply should have an MPR not MPAN, does your number start with 74 > by any chance? if so this would explain a lot as lines that are registered with a 74 or above number are not owned by transco iirc.

You can nominate a supplier, you need to speak to your preffered supplier and ask them to apply for the site using your MPR, not MPAN and as portzy says, the 28 day notice stands but this is the time they take getting the transfer ready. The MPAN which abbreviates for meter point access number is for electric and MPR is meter point referance number and is for gas, if you were using your MPAN with transco, this maybe why they were unable to find your details. Check your meter and take the serial number and phone transco or who claims to now supply you and ask them if they have the meter serial number on record.

You could always contact the regulator and ask them to step in on your behalf, they could clear things up for you and the back dated charges will be paid at your discretion :cool: and based on your AVERAGE usage if you get my drift:cool: once AGREED between you and the supplier who has ballsed up, as far as you are concerned, you have made contact on numerous occasions to register your supply and have had no joy to date. They cannot charge you obviously but as a gesture of goodwill can contribute to what is owed... and the time to pay must also reflect this...

The line sounds like it was probably not owned by BGT which is why your MPR & MPAN was not registered? is it a new build? Your gas supply should have an MPR not MPAN, does your number start with 74 > by any chance? if so this would explain a lot as lines that are registered with a 74 or above number are not owned by transco iirc.

You can nominate a supplier, you need to speak to your preffered supplier and ask them to apply for the site using your MPR, not MPAN and as portzy says, the 28 day notice stands but this is the time they take getting the transfer ready. The MPAN which abbreviates for meter point access number is for electric and MPR is meter point referance number and is for gas, if you were using your MPAN with transco, this maybe why they were unable to find your details. Check your meter and take the serial number and phone transco or who claims to now supply you and ask them if they have the meter serial number on record.

You could always contact the regulator and ask them to step in on your behalf, they could clear things up for you and the back dated charges will be paid at your discretion :cool: and based on your AVERAGE usage if you get my drift:cool: once AGREED between you and the supplier who has ballsed up, as far as you are concerned, you have made contact on numerous occasions to register your supply and have had no joy to date. They cannot charge you obviously but as a gesture of goodwill can contribute to what is owed... and the time to pay must also reflect this...

Thanks for the replies. :) The house was built in 2001, it was initially one of the developer's showhomes, then had one other owner before me. I meant MPR, not MPAN, sorry, I had that many phonecalls, letters etc that the terms are forever muddles in my head, hehe. :D
I definately used the correct terms and numbers during my correspondence
etc, which I have kept copies of. It just annoys me that they could potentially drop a bill for hundreds of pounds through my door at any time. I am putting an amount each month aside which should cover it though, but that's not the point. A friend of mine had the same situation at his old house, he tried desperately to sort it out (it was british gas again!), but ended up selling the house after more than two years and was never billed for any gas.
I don't see why I should continue to rack up phone bills calling these useless utility firms, sitting on hold for 20-30 minutes only to get nowhere. Maybe I should contact the regulator as you say, it's just not good enough, not by a long way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom