Advice please - selling private registration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hgb

Car
E220d Estate
When I sold my last car I put the private plate on retention. I haven't transferred it onto my current car and am considering selling it. There are lots of companies offering to value and advertise but many look dodgy /useless.
Has anyone got any experience of selling a private plate and recommendations on good, trustworthy companies vs DIY?
Thanks

I’d think the companies would charge a fee for selling it through them. Have you had a valuation? Regtransfers will give you an approximate of what it’s worth, but I’d ask how desperate you are to get rid. What’s the plate?

Have purchased and sold many cherished numbers via websites and diy. Websites do not charge you anything for selling them, you request them to advertise it for your desired amount, they will add their commission/mark up and advertise it for sale. Reg transfers normally put a 20% mark up at least.

You can obv advertise it on gumtree/eBay etc, and sell it yourself if you feel comfortable doing so. I appreciate some people are not comfortable doing it diy, in the same way some people don't like to purchase cars from private sellers and prfer to purchase from garages/dealers.

You could always post it on here?

If you do advertise it yourself, make sure ALL the details (in particular your ref number) apart from the reg number are obscured.

Have purchased and sold many cherished numbers via websites and diy. Websites do not charge you anything for selling them, you request them to advertise it for your desired amount, they will add their commission/mark up and advertise it for sale. Reg transfers normally put a 20% mark up at least.

You can obv advertise it on gumtree/eBay etc, and sell it yourself if you feel comfortable doing so. I appreciate some people are not comfortable doing it diy, in the same way some people don't like to purchase cars from private sellers and prfer to purchase from garages/dealers.

If you do advertise it yourself, make sure ALL the details (in particular your ref number) apart from the reg number are obscured.
That last point ^^^ is very important; there was a thread recently ( may or may mot have been on here) where somebody managed to transfer a plare that they didn't own as they had access to ref numbers etc from a private advert. The owner eventually managed to get it reinstated by DVLA but it was a lot of hassle.

Thanks for the advice so far. Reg is A1HYE and, unless I chance across Mr Alan Hye on my travels, I don't think I will retire on the proceeds. I'll check out reg transfers to get an idea of value.
I'm not desperate to get rid but I am surprisingly ambivalent about putting it on the car so perhaps it's time for it to go

Thanks for the advice so far. Reg is A1HYE and, unless I chance across Mr Alan Hye on my travels, I don't think I will retire on the proceeds. I'll check out reg transfers to get an idea of value.
I'm not desperate to get rid but I am surprisingly ambivalent about putting it on the car so perhaps it's time for it to go
An A1 plate should have a good value.

An A1 plate should have a good value.
Now that is subjective and depends on your view of good value. To the right buyer of course, however I think you would be doing well to achieve around the £800-£1k mark. Plenty of dateless plates (3x3) for £1K.

When I sold my last car I put the private plate on retention. I haven't transferred it onto my current car and am considering selling it. There are lots of companies offering to value and advertise but many look dodgy /useless.
Has anyone got any experience of selling a private plate and recommendations on good, trustworthy companies vs DIY?
Thanks
I haven’t sold a registration number for some time, but if I was doing it now I would probably do what I did last time. Contact a few registration number companies and ask them to value it, and then decide how much I would like to get for it.

As long as there’s nothing in the terms & conditions which prevents you selling it directly then I would list it on eBay too. If there is a restriction, try listing it on eBay for a few months before committing to a registration number company.

Remember to factor in charges and fees when setting your price, especially with registration number companies, although they usually add their margin on top of your asking price to come up with the advertised price you’ll see on their website.

I’ve bought and sold a few registration numbers on eBay and found it to be the best process for me, because I was in control. When selling I could change price, I knew I would receive every enquiry/offer (without being filtered) - it worked for me.

I sold my private plate on Facebook Marketplace as there are no fees on Marketplace as opposed to Ebay. I started the price high (just in case) then gradually brought the price down. As the price slowly started coming down I got more and more messages so I realised the price was then around the right ballpark figure. I then kept it at this figure (a figure still higher than what I felt the plate was worth) and sold it to a person who wanted it for his father. As mentioned minimal details were revealed until full payment was made.

I have a plate to sell, it might be worth something to the right person but how to market to the right person.

It could appeal to somebody who lives in or near Walthamstow - Niche or what?

Ebay is a good Advertising platform, full of chances but you never no ,it doesn't cost anything to advertise only when you sell it you get fee's 😉

Spot on. Good advise.
Bare in mind that obviously websites need to sell, so can tend to undervalue your plate.
Nevertheless you need to be realistic. A lot of prices out there are plainly ridiculous.

Thanks
I buy and sell a fair few and I only use dan at boldreg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom