Advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter3579

Car
C class
Hi
I haven't been on here for a few years so have had to re-join.
I had a W209 for 10 years and then replaced it with a W204 in 2012 which I still drive.
I've recently had a service and MOT carried out at a main dealer and there were a couple of advisories.
1. Rear pads down to 1.5mm and rear discs corroded. I guess these need replacing soon?
2. Thrust arm bearings showing signs of wear which the dealer has translated to saying the front training arm needs replacement.
3. Foot handbrake needs adjustment.

Is all the above necessary? I've recently moved to Surrey and will probably use an independent.

Thanks
Peter

I'd change the rear pads and ask the indie to give his opnion on the discs. Depends if it's just light surface corrosion or it's gone deeper.
Also the parking brake isn't going to cost megabux to adjust.
Again, get your indie to check thrust bearings. Advisories for this sort of thing can go on for years before they fail.
As well as the MOT tester your dealer technician should have picked up on these items and at least suggested park brake adjustment and pads there and then. So what was on the service report?

Thanks for this.
I asked for prices but they said I would have to contact them following day. Parking brake adjustment was quoted at "about" £100 so I've done nothing yet.
Service report is saying replace discs and pads and also front training arm.
I would rate the staff as having little commercial acumen. Other dealers I have used in the past would have been on the phone when the car was with them and suggested doing it there and then.
I will find a local indie and at least sort out the brakes.

Some main dealers have been known to exaggerate wear on brake parts so the owner will just accept their advice and go ahead and let them with a repair.

Find yourself a good indy and let them do your work in future.Once out of warranty it makes so much sense with labour costs alone up to 50% of main dealer.

In your location, I'd take a run down the A3 to Olly at PCS in Horndean and get honest servicing at a great price.
https://www.prestigecarservice.co.uk/

Thanks Alex. Good to know you are still around.
Will sort it out in the next few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom