Advice re buying a W208 CLK & Rust

Discussion in 'Bodywork' started by Vila, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Vila

Vila New Member

Being in need of a car I've been giving a lot of thought to buying a W208 CLK 320 coupe.

Last weekend I went to view 3 all of which where suffering from rust around the arches. The 2 that I expected to be in better condition ( high mileage but 1 owner and newer 2000 / 01 spec) where actually in terribly condition with interior damage, warning lights on the dash and damaged xenon lights.

The older 98 sport spec model with 5 previous owners was in suprisingly good condition with low mileage. But obviously has the rust issue around the arches and boot lock. The garge dealer (independant) at the time said if I paid a deposit on the car he would have a company like chips away repair the rust and also refurb the alloys. He has since rung me back to check my interest and offered me quite a good price of £4200.

However I'm still unsure if this is a good deal or if Im buying trouble - are all W208 at around the £5k price suffering from rust? Is this type of repair likely to last and look decent?

2. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler MB Club Veteran

Car:
    ML AMG-line Black Series
    Welcome to the forum.

Banishing rust for more than a momentary pause is tricky and expensive at the best of times.

I may be unfair saying this as the ChipsAway agent concerned may have a bodyshop, but I doubt the repair would last long at all.

Might be worth holding out for a mint example.

Another thought is that a last of the line W208 might still be eligible for MB to offer a goodwill gesture to repair the rusted areas. You'd normally need FMBSH and have owned the car for 6 months or more.

Good luck with your purchase.

3. hotchyboy

hotchyboy Member

w208 rust

My clk 320 has rust. Everyone I see has rust. Wheel arches, boot lock, also check bottom of doors and front panel at top line of bumper.

I had MB "fix" rust on wheel arches two years ago and it is back.

I do not think there are any/many mints out there. I would prefer the feacelift model and would think that for not much more than £4200, you could get one.

I've been quoted £600 for a few stone chips and wheel arch respray.

Mechanically not had any issues. Check air con and check discs.

4. AndyS

AndyS Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK 320 Elegance '99
    £4200 isn't an exceptional deal for a '98 CLK with rust imo..

There are plenty around, my advice would be to keep shopping until you find a lowish mile model with full MB History and no existing faults including rust.. i would advise patience - in todays market you should be able to find a really top notch 320 for reasonable money. I paid 6k for mine at the end of last year, with the way things are going it's probably worth no more realistically than 4k now. Its a '98 77k miles with full MB History and no rust and even though i have lost money i am still very happy with the car and feel that the extra dosh was well worth getting a car in such good nick. Just keep checking ebay, auto-trader, piston heads etc and try to be ruled by brain not heart when looking! :)

5. OP
    OP
    Vila

Vila New Member

Thanks for the advice,

I dont think Ive seen any W209's around the £5k mark yet, (plus I have to say the tax implications also put me off.) I will keep looking for a W208 without rust - or possibly re think my purchase - its quite difficult getting to view cars at the moment as my previous car was stolen and written off.

6. karlefr

karlefr Member

Car:
    '01 W210 200K Elegance '98 W208 200 Elegance
    Hi,
    my wives 98' CLK has no rust whatsoever!

Just wait and look around, there are plenty of rustless CLK's for less money!

7. flango

flango MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171
    Welcome to the forum, I went through the same dilema as you and must have looked at more than 50 cars before deciding on a pre facelift model it was a 1998 had a Brabus K1 conversion one owner and full MB history however it did come with some rust on the boot lock and boot trim, got these sorted for £230 at a very good local body shop, it also had an Intermittent Supercharger problem (Mine a 230K) this has now just been sorted with the help of Brabus, worth noting MB changed the paint spec on face lift models and from my experience and that of co owners it does not appear to stand up as well as the earlier models, £4200 is not that good a deal would suggest you want another £300 - £400 off this, there some pictures of my CLK in the Gallery and if you PM me I'll tell you what I paid for it in Comparison it has only done 70,000 miles hope that heps and welcome on board

8. andyshore

andyshore Member

Car:
    CLK 320 Convertible Avantgarde
    Hiya Vila and welcome,
    I have a CLK 320 Nov. 2000, the first of the facelift models.
    It has now done 95K and the bodywork is excellent apart from around the bootlock and number plate trim (obviously commonplace) but about to be addressed.
    Definitely shop around and you will get what you are looking for at a good price. It is an excellent buyers market out there with present climate.
    Good look with the hunt.

9. OP
    OP
    Vila

Vila New Member

Well thats encouraging, thanks.

Flanaia, your car looks excellent and very interesting with the Brabus upgrade - I'd be very interested to hear what you paid but don't seem to be able to PM on these forums. Fwiw the car I was looking at also had MBFSH and had done a very low 50k miles but I'd now agree with the rust issues its probably above its true value.

10. flango

flango MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171
    Sorry my fault you can't PM unless you have 30 posts so I'll tell you in open forum but no doubt I'll get shot down for paying too much for a car with faults, I paid £4275 but got them down a lot due to the bit of paint on the boot, a faulty SC and some minor interior trim damaged, all this has now been sorted (inc SC problem see other post) otherwise car was excellent, low mileage and leather like new

Hope this helps but the W208 is an excellent car and I have no regrets still think I got a good deal hope you find one and I'm sure you'll enjoy every second of it

1 person likes this.
  11. wemorgan

wemorgan MB Club Veteran

Car:
    A205 C220d
    As another benchmark I paid £4k in April this year, for my CLK320 1998 with 89k miles. It has leather and parktronic, but no Command. The interior is in excellent condition, but the exterior is fair-average with slight rust on rear wheel arches and stone chips on bonnet leading edge.
    So in todays's market I would expect to pay £4k for a lower mileage example with no rust.

12. un1l

un1l Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK 230K
    I bought my CLK 230k in Feb this year it is 1 of the first facelifts being a Nov '99.
    I did look at quite a few but tbh i wanted a manual and this was the first manual i saw.
    It does have a fair bit of rust for which MB have now rejected and it is going in the bodyshop next month the bonnet, wings, arches and boot will all be seen to in this.
    I paid £4600 without tax and the car had 83k with a full dealer history, IMO i got lucky finding a facelift with less than 90k on for that much.
    My advice to you would be definetely get facelift as the colour coded skirts look a LOT better, also look for 2001+ with a dealer history as you will fall in the 8 year barrier of rust repair service. It is however not 100% that they will pay out. But surprisingly quite a few ppl on this forum (bar me) have been granted repair work by them.
    I'm not sure for a 320 but i know 200 + 230K's (facelift) can be picked up 5-6k. and some for less:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=130247910604&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=003

Anyway, best of luck!

13. aka$h

aka$h Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Anything with a 3 Pointed Star!
    My Mums got a CLK200K on a 01 Y, 60k on the clock and no rust to be found. So they are out there, just keep looking a good one will turn up.

14. Yojik

Yojik New Member

Car:
    Mercedes-benz E240
    Hello to all

This is my first post in this forum.
    I really like the information and experience you are sharing.

Please can you advise what are the main weak points except rust of CLK320 W208 1999 model (its not facelift).

15. CKLclive

CKLclive Banned

Car:
    CLK 430
    W208's are one of the best shape and only bad traits are rust plus ATF fluid changes
    as they are not sealed for life so make ***** it has been changed.
    I have a W208 99 CLK 230 K which I have now had for 4 years done 230,000 miles
    and no rust

16. sirswift93

sirswift93 New Member

Car:
    CLK 320 2001 Cabrio
    Where is the bootlock?

17. spike60

spike60 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    500 SEC, E320 cdi estate, BMW Z3 2.8, Porsche 944 2.7
    The thing under the the rear number plate you can put your key in?

1 person likes this.
  18. HB

HB Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C63 , E350 CDI, C320 CDI, SQ7
    You are kidding right ?

1 person likes this.