Advice re temporary touch up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
Someone hit my daughter's car outside her house. Luckily the other driver has given my daughter the cash to get fixed (it is more a scrape than a bang) For one reason and another she can't get it sorted at the moment and says there is one very small area of exposed metal which she's painted with clear nail varnish as was told that would keep rust at bay for the moment. I have ordered a Kurust pen for her - can she paint over the nail varnish or will that need rubbing back to bare metal? Lives some distance away so I can't go sort it for her

At the very least I think it will need a very careful wipe over with nail polish remover, so the Kurust can reach the metal?

What car is it? If it’s a modern car there shouldn’t be any issues?

I'd give the bare metal a thin coating of Vaseline or similar clear grease until the repair can be made good.

As above.

Unless the repair involves a full panel respray, then anything applied to the scratch (other than grease or WD40 etc) will simply make the repair more difficult.

Hopefully the varnish can be removed by a chemical (mild nail varnish remover?) that won't damage the paintwork around the scratch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom