Advice requested - W210s at dealers, anything concerning about these two?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martin#30

Car
BMW 740
Afternoon all,

I am searching for a perfect, late S211 7-seater at the moment, but as I am being hugely fussy about colours and options, this search is taking time.

I am tempted to buy a W210 (is the estate an S210 perhaps) 7-seater to run whilst I wait for the perfect S211, so I am looking to find a nice W/S210 7-seater that with luck, will not require much maintenance or depreciate too much whilst I search.

There are two at 'dealers' that appeal right now, but both are 3 hour drives for me so just wondering if anyone can spot anything negative about either car?

Neither has parking sensors or sunroof that I would really like, but these do seem fairly rare on the 210.

It has been 20 years since I had an MB, so I am still learning what to look for.

Thanks,

Martin

Mercedes-Benz E Class E320 CDi Avantgarde 5dr Tip Auto Diesel Estate 3.2 2003

Mercedes-Benz E Class E320 CDI AVANTGARDE 5DR TIP AUTO 7 SEATER/XENONS 3.2 2002

If you are contemplating buying a go-between car, look no further than my lovely S211; http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/clas...2004-s211-e320-cdi-avantgarde-%A34-500-a.html
Like you, I originally bought it as an 'inbetweener' and meant to sell it a while ago but it's such a brilliant all-rounder that I've kept it longer than I've needed to, in all honesty.

In my ownership it's had a new auxiliary battery, front brakes and thermostat.

Looking at the prices of those S210's, we wouldn't be a million miles out in working a price out.

A 210 doesn't have SBC, so no worries there. However, their worst enemy is rust and you'd be very lucky to find one that's not affected. The IL6 engines are very solid, as are the 5g gearboxes. As long as servicing has been regularly carried out, you'll have few mechanical worries.

Thank you for the replies gents, very helpful.

@SPX, you car looks like a whole lot of vehicle for the money but the miles are too high for me to contemplate on a go-between car, I think it will make my life harder when it comes time to swap for the 211.

If you are right GT about no SBC in the 210s, that really helps me focus my attention on a late 210.

Cheers,

Martin.

Martin#30 said:
Thank you for the replies gents, very helpful.

@SPX, you car looks like a whole lot of vehicle for the money but the miles are too high for me to contemplate on a go-between car, I think it will make my life harder when it comes time to swap for the 211.

If you are right GT about no SBC in the 210s, that really helps me focus my attention on a late 210.

Cheers,

Martin.

SPX's car is a 211?

For the 210 I much prefer a petrol over the diesel, much less chance of thing to go wrong, a 320 petrol is one of the best engine Mercedes has ever built.

Last edited:
SPX's car is a 211?

Indeed, looks a nice one too, but I am focussing my search on a late 210 whilst I wait for my absolutely perfect colour/spec 08-ish 211 appear for sale.

I figure a nice 210 stands more chance of letting me run it for 6 months, and then sell for not much of a loss. It also gives me a chance to see how much I would actually use the 7-seater in practice, as my desire for 7 seats is limiting my 211 search.

Martin.

Just over £4k for SPX car seems a better bet than just under £4k for one of the 210s you quote.

Your two choices are way over priced for a 210 IMO. £2500 should get you something decent.

On older cars, I much prefer buying from private than dealers, as you can find out more about how's the current owner is treating the car.

Where are you? I am selling my 210 soon, but if you want to see one in the flesh and have a run out to see how they should be, you are welcome. I'm in South Bucks.

Where are you? I am selling my 210 soon, but if you want to see one in the flesh and have a run out to see how they should be, you are welcome. I'm in South Bucks.

Charles,

Kind offer, thank you. I would love to speak with someone who knows them well. I did see your post on another thread about putting yours up for sale, it could be perfect for me if it is a 7 seater?

I live in Wiltshire (between Swindon and Bath) but bike into work in Paddington and Hayes at least twice a week, so work locations are fairly close to you.

Martin.

Just over £4k for SPX car seems a better bet than just under £4k for one of the 210s you quote.

In terms of immediate, showroom type appeal, you are right for sure. I just wonder about the potential SBC spend, and the potential electrical reliability problems on an early, high mileage S211.

For me personally, £3,500 worth of nice late 210 or £16,000 worth of my perfect late-ish 211 makes sense. i.e. decent stop-gap, or long term perfection. Somewhere in between does not have a lot of appeal to me.

Thanks for the thoughts,

Martin.

Charles,

Kind offer, thank you. I would love to speak with someone who knows them well. I did see your post on another thread about putting yours up for sale, it could be perfect for me if it is a 7 seater?

I live in Wiltshire (between Swindon and Bath) but bike into work in Paddington and Hayes at least twice a week, so work locations are fairly close to you.

Martin.

I'm not far from J5 of the M4, just over 5 minutes. I can't currently private message you or vice versa as you lack the post count - you need 30 to do so, but if you contact the moderators (at bottom of home page) they might enable if for you, otherwise we'll work something out! If you have an old BMW car rather than bike, I am a great fan of 70s ones.

I'm not far from J5 of the M4, just over 5 minutes. I can't currently private message you or vice versa as you lack the post count - you need 30 to do so, but if you contact the moderators (at bottom of home page) they might enable if for you, otherwise we'll work something out! If you have an old BMW car rather than bike, I am a great fan of 70s ones.

Charles,

I just wanted to say a belated thank you for your offer of help.

Alas, in a shining example of impatience and changing desires, I have bought a Saab. One of the current generation ones with known parts supply problems too.

Sure sign of mental illness, so keeping me away from your home may be wise ;)

Martin.

Charles,

I just wanted to say a belated thank you for your offer of help.

Alas, in a shining example of impatience and changing desires, I have bought a Saab. One of the current generation ones with known parts supply problems too.

Sure sign of mental illness, so keeping me away from your home may be wise ;)

Martin.

Well the last time I asked for help on buying an S class here, I bought an Alpina. The previous time asking about an economical runaround, I bought a 190E.

I approve! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom