Advice Requested!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anchak99

HI Buddies!!

This is my very first post on this forum. I need the best advice from you experts out there as I am on the hunt for an economy Benz with the following conditions as a pre-requisite:

1. 1991-1995 model
2. Low Mileage.
3. Automatic Transmission.
4. Compact size (Not too long)

I’ve had a look at the 1994 and 1995 C220s but couldn't decide. Do these meet the requirements above? Please suggest any other models which satisfy my requirements.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Chak

Welcome to theforum . Lets look at the problem the otherway around, how much can you afford to spend on this car and then we can see what is available for you :)

anchak99 said:
HI Buddies!!

This is my very first post on this forum. I need the best advice from you experts out there as I am on the hunt for an economy Benz with the following conditions as a pre-requisite:

1. 1991-1995 model
2. Low Mileage.
3. Automatic Transmission.
4. Compact size (Not too long)

I’ve had a look at the 1994 and 1995 C220s but couldn't decide. Do these meet the requirements above? Please suggest any other models which satisfy my requirements.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Chak

Hi R2D2,

Thanks for your consideration. I live here in the Emirates close to Dubai. I intend to buy a used car (Japan Import) and a C220 1994 would cost around 25000 Emirates Dirhams (6800 US Dollars) here. This is pretty much my maximum budget.

I am unaware of the mileage and post-purchase costs for this car though some ppl tell me this is quite a good and economy car. However, I need to verify that from the experts here .

But then again i would request from more inputs about other models in this price range.

Cheers,
Chak

You should also consider the 190e. They should be in plentiful supply over there - therefore a good selection and parts should be easily available.

And a good price too - certainly well within your price and age range, with mostly autos to choose from (over there anyway).

The only partial concern may be air-con. Whilst it is rare to get a 190 with a/c here in the UK - it may have been standard fit over there.

K

I would look at either a W201 190E as Kinky suggested, or perhaps a W124 saloon.

Build quality on these two is absolutely top-notch. Regarding the mileage, don't be put off by a prejudiced view on what is 'high'. Most cars are tired at 100-150K miles, but on a Mercedes it is totally different. A W201 or W124 with 150K should drive pretty much like it did at 100K, and the interior and paintwork should ideally be nearly perfect.

Not too aware of what the prices are around your area, but a very nice W124 or 190E can be picked up here for much less than your budget, and would be the perfect introduction to Mercedes-Benz ownership.

My advice would be to look at a few, and this way you will spot a really clean car in the end. Try and source one with full service history, nice options (such as leather/air con or whatever you like :) ) and lower mileage if possible. Typically the price difference between a perfect car and an average car will be less than what you would end up spending in maintenance costs anyway. ;)

Good Luck,

Will

I'll echo what the others have said, the W124 is virtually bomb and idiot proof. Looked after they'll last forever - ours has done over 200,000 miles and still drives better than many new cars.

The build quality is much higher than the more recent models and I've seen more rust on 5 year old cars than you can find on most W124s

Andy

Just out of interest, does anyone think there is much between it in terms of build quality of a W201 compared to a W124?

I've never actually owned a W124 (know a few and have driven some!), but have owned and known a fair few 190Es

I've gotta say that they have all been excellent. As a matter of interest, I have not personally experienced any failed engines/gearboxes/diffs/clutches/auto boxes etc on any Mercedes ever! And some have been pretty leggy (but not 200K like Andy's one). I think Andy and Ian both demonstrate what we mean about build quality. Over 200K is good going in my book! :cool:

Will

Sorry to say that the difference is massive :(

Other than my 129 and the other SLs' I drove while looking for it:

I have driven an L reg 124 3.0 diesel with 220K on the clock and it was beyond tight , and the ride was smooth as silk :cool:

I have driven a new C270 CDI and that was very nice :) and I even got hold of a new CLK 3?? CDI and again that was very nice. But the difference is that in 200 K miles I would not bet on either of the newer mercs being anywhere near the standard of the 124 or my 129 :(

I like the looks of the new mercs but when it came down to me spending £25K on my last car the choice was a shiny new C or CLK or a 5 year old SL...

But at the end of the day you pay you money and take your choice :)

peterchurch said:
Sorry to say that the difference is massive :(

Do you really mean between the W124 and W201? :confused:

Will

Will said:
Do you really mean between the W124 and W201? :confused:

Will

No I am lumping all cars that were designed pre merger against the cars that DC have produced since then... and before I start a holy war I think its fair to say that both periods have their pros and cons :) Most notible would be the fact that:

While the newer cars are lighter and more nimble they lack the over engineered pampered feel of the old skool ...

peterchurch said:
No I am lumping all cars that were designed pre merger against the cars that DC have produced since then... and before I start a holy war I think its fair to say that both periods have their pros and cons :) Most notible would be the fact that:

While the newer cars are lighter and more nimble they lack the over engineered pampered feel of the old skool ...

You got it! :)

Cheers,

Will

I drove my W124 into an RSJ last year. Luckily only hitting the wheel full on. Burst the tyre, damaged the rim, bent the wishbone. Cost of repair inclusive tyre £300. I think if I had driven any other car into that RSJ I would have removed the wheel station therefore making the car a write off (depending on age) or having a really big bill. All I can sat is that the 124 series are really strong cars, engineered to last, comfy to drive, easy to maintain at home and a pleasure to own.

I agree that the 124 is a well built car but my local dealer told me that the 210 is the most reliable car they deal with.

Buy any pre CDi diesel and you will enjoy 100s of thousands of reliable miles.

Dieselman said:
Buy any pre CDi diesel and you will enjoy 100s of thousands of reliable miles.

CDi engines no good then?? I ask 'cos I'm working out when I can afford to get and E or S class with such an engine.

What about the 300TD diesel fitted to W210's?

Dieselman said:
I agree that the 124 is a well built car but my local dealer told me that the 210 is the most reliable car they deal with.

possibly but does that reflect that by now most W124s are out of the dealer network?

Andy

Buy a W124 but avoid any Merc built between 1993 & 1995. During these years Mercedes changed the wiring to a biodegradable type. The problem is the wires break down too soon with heat. It is worst on the engine loom but could affect others with the temperatures in Dubai. If you do buy one between these years make sure the engine loom has already been changed because they aren't cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom