advice required

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave E

i have just put a deposit on a 2003 C180k advantgarde estate with sports pack. Have i done the right thing? and what can go wrong and what should i look for before i hand over the balance.

Folks will probably need just a bit more info to help you on this - how much is the car, what mileage, is it a private purchase, from a dealer, does it have FMBSH etc etc.

btw - welcome!

i have just put a deposit on a 2003 C180k advantgarde estate with sports pack. Have i done the right thing? and what can go wrong and what should i look for before i hand over the balance.

Welcome!

I'll be first to say it... I would spend a bit more and get facelifted 2004MY or later. It has a much better interior and various external/mechanical/electrical improvements which make it a much sounder proposition.

thanks for the welcome. its got full FMBSH with 81K and i am paying £7K

Worth reading this if you haven't already - general review is good, though the later (post 2004) car is a better drive.

£7k appears to be in the ballpark though perhaps a touch high given the mileage (dependent on spec of course - leather and COMAND would add value) - but having said that there's a lot in favour of finding a clean good-feeling car with FMBSH, especially at 5 years old, when quite a few have left the dealer network.

Hello. I have a 2003 C180K (built Nov 2003) Avantgarde estate. Bought it new with my own cash. Full MB history. It now has 50K miles. This is a summary of the warranty work it has had not in any particular order.

1. New exahust due to chronic corrosion.
2. Rain sensor failure.
3. CAN bus errors - tiptronic box would not shift.
4. Complete new front suspension - new wishbones, new roll bar, bearings, bushes, track rod bits and bobs. Car was fitted with a modified wishbone kit. Front suspension is a known W203 weak spot on 2003 and earlier models.
5. Wheel bearing failure.
6. Driver's door electric window failure.
7. Corrosion on underside of front wing.
8. Other front suspension issues - car leaning 3 ins lower than pass side.
9. Rear discs badly scored - replaced as goodwill by MB.
10. Lacquer defects from new.

Good bits: Engine is bomb proof. C180K is the best in the range - glass smooth and good economy.

4th year B service was £980.

You MUST get a warranty :eek: You will need it.

Good luck.

Last edited:
thanks, you have really scared me now!

why would you ask if you have already put the deposit on the car!!!

i think you should ask before the deposit is put down.

But i think u'll find you will love the car...

Hello. I have a 2003 C180K (built Nov 2003) Avantgarde estate. Bought it new with my own cash. Full MB history. It now has 50K miles. This is a summary of the warranty work it has had not in any particular order.

1. New exahust due to chronic corrosion.
2. Rain sensor failure.
3. CAN bus errors - tiptronic box would not shift.
4. Complete new front suspension - new wishbones, new roll bar, bearings, bushes, track rod bits and bobs. Car was fitted with a modified wishbone kit. Front suspension is a known W203 weak spot on 2003 and earlier models.
5. Wheel bearing failure.
6. Driver's door electric window failure.
7. Corrosion on underside of front wing.
8. Other front suspension issues - car leaning 3 ins lower than pass side.
9. Rear discs badly scored - replaced as goodwill by MB.
10. Lacquer defects from new.

Good bits: Engine is bomb proof. C180K is the best in the range - glass smooth and good economy.

4th year B service was £980.

You MUST get a warranty :eek: You will need it.

Good luck.

Sounds like you have had some real bad luck with your C. Mine is march 03 with 57K on clock C230 coupe. Only had minor problem with radio RDS not retuning-warranty change, plus replaced front track rod. All else fine.

i have seen the car again and its really nice, 17 inch alloys drilled discs up raytd suspension full sports interior. its got a full MB service history and its just pased its MOT. so i am pretty pleased.
thanks for all your advice. i am picking it up next wednesday so i will diecide if its better than my 2002 series BMW

Sounds like a very nice car, let us know how you get on

so i will decide if its better than my 2002 series BMW

You mean the proper old skool 2002 turbo series BMW ? Like this ?

0210_15zoom+1972_bmw_2002_turbo_coupe+left.jpg

They rule :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom