Advice saught from pavier!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisHGTV

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E250 Avantgarde Estate, Alfa GTV V6, Vespa, Ducati, many bicycles...
Hello learned collective!

I could do with some advice if anyone is able? I’ve got a bit of patio next to the house where the Alfa normally sleeps, see below. And although they have now been taken down some trees next door have caused a couple of the slabs to loosen and the mortar to crack. I think the mortar is the resin type stuff. I want to fix it asap so water doesn’t go down the cracks and wash away whatever base there is ( I haven’t lifted any of the slabs yet so not sure)

So just wondering what the best option might be to fix it? I was thinking is there some kind of resin based filler I could use?

Apologies for the photos, they always seem to rotate when using the iPad!

cheers!

58A48443-2D19-4E78-93BE-3D46290C8DC0.jpeg4A6E05C9-15F0-48C7-9236-E9E721E2D13D.jpeg

If you want same stuff "Geo Fix" Grind out the joints and apply the product and ram it in hard as can be with anything thin to hand. Ideally a mastic trowel

If you want same stuff "Geo Fix" Grind out the joints and apply the product and ram it in hard as can be with anything thin to hand. Ideally a mastic trowel
Ah perfect thanks! Just the info I needed! 👍 Ive got a de Walt multi tool I used to grind out the kitchen tile grout so hopefully that should work.

+1 for the above used it quite alot for the Indian paving also comes in different colours 😉

Just using the SIKA jointing compound (Magic sand) from Screwfix on mine.

Simple and easy and works if you struggle to get hold of the other stuff mentioned above

Read the instructions, once open the bag sets up, no saving for later.

Most of the epoxy based stuff...which is all I use as its so easy to use........can be stored for later use as long as its covered by at least two inches of water in the container. Geo fix isn't one of them which is why I use Easyjoint!

I’ve been using Sika FastFix All Weather Jointing Compound which seems to do the job without too much effort.
What do others use to remove Black Spot from Indian Sandstone?

I get that....never found a way to gently remove it...I just jet wash it regularly so the spots don't build up too much. Once a year I have it done professionally....with a much more powerful jet wash....The I re-grout all the bits he blasts out!
Tried various cleaning chemical and others that claim to stop the black marks forming.....nothing worked. This is about half the area I have to clean....the rest is a mix of Indian sandstone and block paving bricks......It's about 6 years old now and due a clean.....
IMG_20220515_183154_copy_2080x1560.jpg

A gentler way, at least in the physical sense, is to use hypochlorite from a farm supplier. This is essentially bleach but 3 times stronger than the domestic variety. This will keep on top of black spot if used every year. I buy a 20L drum which is enough to do the block pave drive and a very large patio of stone slabs. I did a lot of damage years ago using an industrial power washer and now prefer the the chemical approach which doesn't damage the joints. Bleach naturally neutralises in use outdoors so there is no serious concern about the environmental impact.

I get that....never found a way to gently remove it...I just jet wash it regularly so the spots don't build up too much. Once a year I have it done professionally....with a much more powerful jet wash....The I re-grout all the bits he blasts out!
Tried various cleaning chemical and others that claim to stop the black marks forming.....nothing worked. This is about half the area I have to clean....the rest is a mix of Indian sandstone and block paving bricks......It's about 6 years old now and due a clean.....
View attachment 127011
View attachment 127011
Thanks, that’s much the way I treat it except I’m gradually losing out over time. Must be the sea air (seems we are both in Bognor) or it’s helped by the seagulls!

A gentler way, at least in the physical sense, is to use hypochlorite from a farm supplier. This is essentially bleach but 3 times stronger than the domestic variety. This will keep on top of black spot if used every year. I buy a 20L drum which is enough to do the block pave drive and a very large patio of stone slabs. I did a lot of damage years ago using an industrial power washer and now prefer the the chemical approach which doesn't damage the joints. Bleach naturally neutralises in use outdoors so there is no serious concern about the environmental impact.
Thanks. I’ve always worried that bleach will stain the sandstone

Bu££er Bognor!
I did ny post-grad there.
Thanks, that’s much the way I treat it except I’m gradually losing out over time. Must be the sea air (seems we are both in Bognor) or it’s helped by the seagulls!

I was warning about bleach type products damaging the sandstone too.....but it sounds like its ok according to above.

Oh and I actually live in PAGHAM....very different class of place!! I put Bognor on my avatar as no ones heard of Pagham!!

Well ive ordered some Geo Fix - the buff colour seems closest to what i have now. I did actually use some of the Sika stuff before as an emergency but the colour was quite different.

Actually found a good deal from solseal.co.uk.

I'll let you know how i get on - thanks for all the advice!

I was warning about bleach type products damaging the sandstone too.....but it sounds like its ok according to above.

Oh and I actually live in PAGHAM....very different class of place!! I put Bognor on my avatar as no ones heard of Pagham!!
I stay in Pagham when I go to the Goodwood revival. 😁

Inglenook Hotel?

Weak solution of water and brick acid do the trick?

I cleaned up my slabs before we moved house with a very weak solution of brick acid, brushed in with a stiff brush then jet washed off.

Church farm holiday park......
Literally a few hundred yards from my house! I walk through there most Friday afternoons (my day off) as there is a public footpath through there to the harbour.....which is a beautiful place for a wander......good for a bit of bass fishing too. Enjoy your stay!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom