Advice - Service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TomQ2711

Car
C220 Bluetec Sport Saloon
Hi guys,

I had Mercedes call me today to book in my annual service. I thought it was going to be the 'B' service but turns out it's the 'A' which is a relief. My dilemma is getting my mate to service and MOT the car for a lot less (he's always done my cars) or getting Mercedes to do it for £317.89 plus VAT plus MOT of £54.85.

What would you guys do?

How long are you going to keep the car? Some buyers prefer a stealer history, if you are keeping car long term I would go with your mate but keep a record of materials (filters, oils etc) to demonstrate to a new buyer that you have maintained the car properly, it all depends on how and when you will dispose of the car eventually.

Private buyer will just want good history, dealer might just put it to auction so not interested in fsh

T
How long are you going to keep the car? Some buyers prefer a stealer history, if you are keeping car long term I would go with your mate but keep a record of materials (filters, oils etc) to demonstrate to a new buyer that you have maintained the car properly, it all depends on how and when you will dispose of the car eventually.

Private buyer will just want good history, dealer might just put it to auction so not interested in fsh

Thanks for the response. I'll probs have it for a maximum of 2 more years so not too long. Reckon go dealer for that length?

You don't have to MOT at dealer. I get MOT done for £40 in London. I just have service A0 done on E63 for £353.47 including VAT, which is cheaper that your quote somehow. Do shop around. Personally I would prefer to keep car history intact, but I don't know if it adds to resale value of your car.

If you trade car into stealer he will probably auction car due to age so history will not be relevant.

If you sell to a dealer he will not be interested either, just make more on selling price of car with fsh

If you sell privately new owner might prefer fsh but if you can demonstrate good servicing by Indy they are more likely to buy

Only you can decide what you are likely to do in two years time :)

You don't have to MOT at dealer. I get MOT done for £40 in London. I just have service A0 done on E63 for £353.47 including VAT, which is cheaper that your quote somehow. Do shop around. Personally I would prefer to keep car history intact, but I don't know if it adds to resale value of your car.
Ok thanks for the info. May get service done at Merc and MOT at my mates garage then.

If you trade car into stealer he will probably auction car due to age so history will not be relevant.

If you sell to a dealer he will not be interested either, just make more on selling price of car with fsh

If you sell privately new owner might prefer fsh but if you can demonstrate good servicing by Indy they are more likely to buy

Only you can decide what you are likely to do in two years time :)
Yeah very true...easier but more expensive at the dealer, cheaper but more of a pain at my mates. Tough one

Do you own the car or is it on on finance / PCP?

Mercedes do an MOT warranty up to £750 on cars maintained and MOT'd by them which may be worth considering when making a choice. It doesn't cover wear and tear items such as tyres and brake pads etc so not really sure how it works.

Mercedes do an MOT warranty up to £750 on cars maintained and MOT'd by them which may be worth considering when making a choice. It doesn't cover wear and tear items such as tyres and brake pads etc so not really sure how.
Ah ok, that's good to know. Thanks for that

Warranty ends on 14th August. Reckon book it in before that?
If you intend to get it serviced at the dealer, then yes bring it in before the warranty expires in case they find any issues.

Another thing to consider when getting a service done at a main dealer is that your mobilo breakdown cover is renewed for another year.

I suspect most MoT failure items are due to wear and tear.
I claimed on the policy in may for a failed door mirror indicator.
Dealer service adviser claimed to not know of the policy at first.

Used it a couple of years ago when my w211 E class broke a front Spring about 180 miles from home.
Car recovered to nearest dealer MB Chester. Took 2 days to repair it ( expensive as they replaced both fronts and found and fixed an oil leak ! ) But was brought a new C class estate to my mother's address, 25 miles away, within 2 hours, offered an Eclass if I would wait 4 hrs, car supplied by Europcar. Drove home to Carmarthen and two days later car arrived at my house on back of a breakdown truck having been delivered from Chrster dealers.
No charge except if I remember a cost of under £20 for some extra insurance which I requested.
It was worth paying the extra £ 250 compared with the local MB Indi who would have needed 2 days to get the parts and fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom