Advice wanted - buying an old SLK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have you ever driven a manual slk230? How do you know my car is 'just rubbish'?

RH
I've driven SLKs, both manual and auto. That is why i own an auto.

btw- I think it was Honest John who listed one of the SLK auto's bad points as gear changes mid-bend when they were very much unwelcome.

It's not a complaint I've seen in these parts - and not something that I've noticed with any MB auto I've driven to date.

Okay, I am making progress, thanks for the help. It is thirteen years since I last bought a vehicle and I don't want to get it wrong.

I rang this 2004 MERCEDES-BENZ SLK 230K 2dr Tip Auto Roadster Special Editions, because it seemed good value, the car is a Cat D, the guy selling it said it had a busted wing.

Is a Cat D purchase daffy?

I realise I might be pushing it a bit here.#:)

Thank you.

btw- I think it was Honest John who listed one of the SLK auto's bad points as gear changes mid-bend when they were very much unwelcome.

Depends how you drive it, not if you are in Manual Tip mode, not in my car anyway :thumb:

Okay, I am making progress, thanks for the help. It is thirteen years since I last bought a vehicle and I don't want to get it wrong.

I rang this 2004 MERCEDES-BENZ SLK 230K 2dr Tip Auto Roadster Special Editions, because it seemed good value, the car is a Cat D, the guy selling it said it had a busted wing.

Is a Cat D purchase daffy?

I realise I might be pushing it a bit here.#:)

Depends on what the damage was. Ask the seller if they know or even better if they have any photo's pre-repair.

Thank you.

I'd be amazed if was any different on a car like this.

?

Popular is NOT the same as better.

The argument about lower selling price is countered by the lower buying price- depreciation works in your favour here when buying a used car.

RH

OK, so you like your MANUAL SLK!! This is a forum and most of us prefer Auto's because we consider them better!

Give it a rest and let the OP make his (and Mrs OP's) mind up!
:D

Some insurance companies can be funny about it.

RH

True. Also 'just a busted wing' is worthy of much further digging. Generally not a good idea, unless you are very sure of the history and the price reflects it - at least 25% below 'list'.

True. Also 'just a busted wing' is worthy of much further digging. Generally not a good idea, unless you are very sure of the history and the price reflects it - at least 25% below 'list'.

If the car has been written off (CAT D) the n it can be repaired, however before it is allowed to be put back on the road it has to undergo a vehicle inspection before being granted a certificate of road worthiness. If it has that then I wouldn't let the fact it's been through some kind of calamity put you off, though I’d like to see a Full Service History with it.

As a final thought I agree with the 25% under list, (id bid lower than that if it were me), but remember while you can buy it cheaper as colin says, it will remain cheap come resell time for the very same reason.:)

Last edited:

We are too old and boring nowadays to take much of a punt, hence the choice of MB :D

If the cat D had been nicely documented it would be different. I like a voluminous technical case study.:eek:

We are too old and boring nowadays to take much of a punt, hence the choice of MB :D

If the cat D had been nicely documented it would be different. I like a voluminous technical case study.:eek:

I'd say you are right. There are plenty of them that haven't been allocated a dodgy history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom