Advice Wanted: E500 offered

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ManJ

Car
E270 CDI(54), CLK270 CDI(03), S320 CDI(03), Smart Passion CDI (2011)
Guys
Just as the title says, I know someone who has a 2002 (52) E500 Avantgarde in Black with full beige leather. The car has done 90,000 miles and has just had a £1700 service last month.

He is selling as its being wasted sitting around.
It has:
Black paintwork
Beige leather
Airmatic suspension
Avantgarde spec
Front and rear parking sensors
Telephone pre-wiring
Electric memory seats

Only things it needs is:
One hell of a deep clean (in and out)
Two doors have been damaged when some idiot decided to key it

He is letting me have the car at £6000

Thoughts?
Any comments welcome...

Last edited:
£6000 (on the face of it) doesn't sound bad to me. Get a quote for a repair for the doors as it may be quite expensive. 2002 is a very early 211. Glojo will point out there are some nice features on this car that aren't on later cars, but the general concensus was that the newer ones were better.

the doors are only lightly keyed so will not cost too much. The cheapest one I could see on Autotrader is £8000!

Reckon he's gettin rid before something even more expensive needs doing...

Sounds okay, depends upon the conditon. Is there any leeway on the price at all? Does it have 12 months TAX / MOT, good tyres etc??? Everything counts!!!

Any other spec? Does it have a sunroof or COMAND?

I think all of the E500's have luxury (digital) climate but I may be wrong.

What was done for £1700 at the last service?

Sounds cheap on the face of it?

would airmatic / 90K cause problems?

Being a 500 they are generally quite high spec, any additional stuff to what you have listed?

Reckon he's gettin rid before something even more expensive needs doing...

I wouldnt say he is, he i strapped for cash and a good friend of mine so would sell me a dog...

Sounds okay, depends upon the conditon. Is there any leeway on the price at all? Does it have 12 months TAX / MOT, good tyres etc??? Everything counts!!!

Any other spec? Does it have a sunroof or COMAND?

I think all of the E500's have luxury (digital) climate but I may be wrong.

Your right, it has 6 months tax, and 6 months MOT, tyres are all good. Sunroof and command are the only things missing.

Your right it does have digital climate control :)

What was done for £1700 at the last service?

Will check on Friday and get back to you, my mate at Mercedes is having a fine look over it on Friday and a little trick on the Star as well :thumb:

I wouldnt say he is, he i strapped for cash and a good friend of mine so would sell me a dog...

Not implying he would sell you something knowing that the car is wrong but if I put out £1700 on a car I would not sell it after about a month.

Unless I "feared" that the spend was the tip of the iceberg...

I think the only worry with owning this car would be AIRmatic problems with the front struts , they cost well over €1000 each and the early cars where prone to failing due to cheap components being used .

I think the only worry with owning this car would be AIRmatic problems with the front struts , they cost well over €1000 each and the early cars where prone to failing due to cheap components being used .

Still, you could have one with real springs.....probably its second set by now:devil:

The E500 all came with AIRmatic as standard

I have just had one fail on me, apparently as a result of hitting a pot hole.

Repair bill £1200 and they are on back order, its been a month now and I am still waiting.

Have the struts been redesigned now or will this new one still be the same poor quality?

My mechanic should look over this on Friday and tell me of any problems, and will also get a little drive of it at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom