Advice wanted from W251 R Class / X164 GL owners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My thought process is partly because of your post showing the GL that got me thinking about them. I've had the R in mind for a while, but the change in circumstances (job location & car allowance etc) seem to make it feel like it may work for me ;)

I've now also managed to get hold of the brochures for both the GL & the R.

Does anyone have access to a price list for either model for any year from 2006 to 2008?

haha, sorry for implanting expensive thoughts into your mind :doh::D:devil:

You definitely need a long drive in one in various environments to appreciate them properly I think. From wafting in and out of a multistory without a sound or tremor making it through to the cabin, airmatic on 'comfort', to making good progress on 'sport' down a nice A road. Plus the sheer functionality it offers in terms of space and go anywhereness.

Tread carefully through what's on offer, as you'd want the ones with the later COMAND fitted, around '09 onwards and then soon after they get the sexy rear end with the fitted defuser exhausts. Then there's a 2 year gap until the 265hp 350 upgrade in 2011.

haha, sorry for implanting expensive thoughts into your mind :doh::D:devil:

You definitely need a long drive in one in various environments to appreciate them properly I think. From wafting in and out of a multistory without a sound or tremor making it through to the cabin, airmatic on 'comfort', to making good progress on 'sport' down a nice A road. Plus the sheer functionality it offers in terms of space and go anywhereness.

Tread carefully through what's on offer, as you'd want the ones with the later COMAND fitted, around '09 onwards and then soon after they get the sexy rear end with the fitted defuser exhausts. Then there's a 2 year gap until the 265hp 350 upgrade in 2011.

By later COMAND do you mean the one with the SD card slot (NTG 2.5?) If so, that's a pretty easy retrofit I believe? Budget wise from what I've seen so far it looks like it's going to be a pre-2009 :(

I've also found out about the GL facelift in / around 2010? With the DRL's and the LED rear lights...

By later COMAND do you mean the one with the SD card slot (NTG 2.5?) If so, that's a pretty easy retrofit I believe? Budget wise from what I've seen so far it looks like it's going to be a pre-2009 :(

I've also found out about the GL facelift in / around 2010? With the DRL's and the LED rear lights...

Yes, thats what I clumsily referred to as 'the bit later' part of my post. Facelift also included a different steering wheel and I think the addition of a fitted/hidden towbar that you can lower into position by a lever under the boot floor.

Is NGT 2.5 an easy retrofit? I wasn't aware of that :dk::doh:

I rang about this one today as I was in the area:

Lilly & Constable - Mercedes-Benz GL Class Diesel Station Wagon GL420 CDI 5dr Tip Auto

When I asked to come and view, the dealer was completly honest and said "it's got a suspension problem at the moment and an airbag fault, I wouldn't want you seeing it like this". He went onto say that he thinks (based on a google search they did) that the suspension may be a common fault on GL's. I couldn't tell if this one has air suspension. They're going to fix it and said they'll let me know - he also said he's probably going to de-list the car from their site this evening.

Is Airmatic failure an issue on the GL in the way it was on the W220's? I was hoping not!

Afaik all GL's have air suspension.

Thanks SPX, you're absolutely right, I just checked the brochure I have. There is an option (in the off-road pack) that offers some additional ride height settings.

Hmm, will check some of the US forums to see if I can find out anything about Airmatic issues.

Hi, is anyone able to check what price a particular vehcile has fetched at a BCA auction?

There's a 2006 GL320 going through Blackbushe today - can provide details via PM - intrigued to know what it may fetch.

Watch it go through the block via live stream?

Ooh, didn't know you could do that - is that possible with a standard account (i.e. non trader?)

could be a bargain

That's what I figured, alarm bells are ringing though as it's been entered by Mercedes Retail. I know it's old but I'm pretty sure they've marketed cars older than that.

The BCA appraisal of it didn't look too bad - think it's a Grade 2 - it also has the wood / leather wheel.

That's what I figured, alarm bells are ringing though as it's been entered by Mercedes Retail. I know it's old but I'm pretty sure they've marketed cars older than that.

The BCA appraisal of it didn't look too bad - think it's a Grade 2 - it also has the wood / leather wheel.

My guess is that its too old to go on a forecourt for Mercedes with the potential of it hanging around for a while, easier to punt it immediately through BCA

Had a GL 420CDI until quite recently. Kept it for nearly 5 years and about 60Kmiles with very few problems. Had a suspension component ( described as a damper I think)replaced under warranty at about 20k miles because it was ‘misting’ fluid. Other than that only a couple of injectors ( warranty) which the dealer said was v unusual.

Gave about 20mpg running around locally, 22 on a long fast ( as in 100+ in Germany) and around 26 keeping to 70 in the UK.

Air suspension standard on all models as is I’m pretty sure the off road pack ( adjustable suspension height, low range, locking rwear and centre diffs).
Leather standard on 420 not on 320. Bi Xenon not standard on either.
Fixed (non opening) sun roof over third row seats, front roof extra.

Brilliant car. Very quiet and comfortable over long distances and, at least in 420 guise fast enough to surprise quite a few drivers. ) Zero to sixty in 7 sec and zero to 100mph in 20secs according to Autocar.

Had a GL 420CDI until quite recently. Kept it for nearly 5 years and about 60Kmiles with very few problems. Had a suspension component ( described as a damper I think)replaced under warranty at about 20k miles because it was ‘misting’ fluid. Other than that only a couple of injectors ( warranty) which the dealer said was v unusual.

Thanks, that's good to hear more positive news on reliability too.

Out of interest - have you replaced it with anything else yet? Are you buying another one or something else?

Yes, Airmatic is standard on all GL's as posted above. As you've also stated - the optional off-road pack provides some other suspension settings too.

Went to look at one at the weekend but the dealer was shut by the time we arrived (I blame it on the kids). My misses was coming round to the idea of the GL (she preferes the R Class), in fact she said 'I saw one of those GL's this morning let's go and look at one then'

At least we got to see one properly in the flesh. Although she's now concerned it's too big :eek: I can see her concern and have assured her that she'd be fine driving it & reminded her that it's supposed to be my car! I'm sure she'll come round when we get to take one out for a test drive.

Thanks, that's good to hear more positive news on reliability too.

Out of interest - have you replaced it with anything else yet? Are you buying another one or something else?

Yes, Airmatic is standard on all GL's as posted above. As you've also stated - the optional off-road pack provides some other suspension settings too.

Went to look at one at the weekend but the dealer was shut by the time we arrived (I blame it on the kids). My misses was coming round to the idea of the GL (she preferes the R Class), in fact she said 'I saw one of those GL's this morning let's go and look at one then'

At least we got to see one properly in the flesh. Although she's now concerned it's too big :eek: I can see her concern and have assured her that she'd be fine driving it & reminded her that it's supposed to be my car! I'm sure she'll come round when we get to take one out for a test drive.

Specs might change according to model year but I'm pretty sure the 'off road' pack is standard. Mine was a 2007 and it was standard then. Markets vary things standard in UK are options in , e.g. the US and Germany.

Yes it's big, but the height of the thing makes it look bigger than it is. It's broadly the same width as an Eclass.

In my opinion there is a big difference between the 320 and 420s. I drove them back to back when I bought the car and the 420 is so much smoooooother and delivers it's huge torque from just above tick-over. In comparison the 320 felt rough and you had to work the engine to extract the performance. Later 320 /350 have more power. Just the driver or 4 people and luggage the 420 just delivers effortless performance.

Sold mine a few weeks ago ( silver, you wouldn't have liked it!) and replaced it with, (hesitates at this point) a BMW 535D Touring. Not as comfortable as the GL, but the performance is something else.

Specs might change according to model year but I'm pretty sure the 'off road' pack is standard. Mine was a 2007 and it was standard then. Markets vary things standard in UK are options in , e.g. the US and Germany.

Yes it's big, but the height of the thing makes it look bigger than it is. It's broadly the same width as an Eclass.

In my opinion there is a big difference between the 320 and 420s. I drove them back to back when I bought the car and the 420 is so much smoooooother and delivers it's huge torque from just above tick-over. In comparison the 320 felt rough and you had to work the engine to extract the performance. Later 320 /350 have more power. Just the driver or 4 people and luggage the 420 just delivers effortless performance.

That's what I need to do, my heart is saying GL420 - they also generally seem to be better specified too (both as standard and with options).

I've come across a nice Black GL320 but it's odd that it doesn't seem to have heated seats. Again I thought that was standard, need to study the brochure a bit more!

Like you say specs very from market to market as well as by model year.

raymont said:
Sold mine a few weeks ago ( silver, you wouldn't have liked it!) and replaced it with, (hesitates at this point) a BMW 535D Touring. Not as comfortable as the GL, but the performance is something else.

I'm actually warming to Silver (it would also match our W203!). In a way I think Silver actually softens the look of the GL. My preference of Black makes it look really menacing / imposing.

As for the BMW thing, they're also great cars (ducks head!). I'm moving from one (albeit a lowly 520d). Is your BM an E60/61 (previous model) or an F10/11 (current) variant?

It's an F11. Seems very small after the GL.

Good job, so it shouldn't be susceptible to the current security flaw then!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom