Advice with paypal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Felstmiester

MB Enthusiast
Car
Range rover sport
Put a iphone on gumtree and someone has emailed asking what I'd take for it. I mailed em back saying I'd take £475 for it and I've just got a email back saying he'll give £500 if I post it and to go on paypal and request the £500 from his paypal account also going on if I haven't got a paypal account how I would get one, then ending the message with please do this ASAP.

Sound a bit scammy to me or am I being over cautious. Is this safe??

Do not post until you have the funds in your account.
Sounds like a scam and I'd avoid like the plague.

I reckon scam.

What will happen is they'll either fake a paypal email, or send you the funds using a stolen card, or otherwise reverse the transaction after you sent it.

You could reply saying that you can use paypal, but will need to wait for the funds to clear to your bank account (i.e. out of paypal's hands), then unlink paypal from your account before sending...
M.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5...ive/CHARGEBACK-SCAM-SELLERS-BEWARE/td-p/27035

With something this expensive I would insist on payment on collection, too many things to go wrong here.

Sounds like a scam, insist on a bank transfer - simple and safe.

Yeah reckon he's a scammer. Mailed him back saying I'd rather have cash on collection or bank transfer. He mailed me strait back saying he thinks paypal is the safest option and explaining that your covered up to £2000 and can I send request ASAP. I then mailed him back and said there's to many scams going on with paypal so I wouldn't use it. Ain't heard nothing since lol.

Felstmiester said:
Yeah reckon he's a scammer. Mailed him back saying I'd rather have cash on collection or bank transfer. He mailed me strait back saying he thinks paypal is the safest option and explaining that your covered up to £2000 and can I send request ASAP. I then mailed him back and said there's to many scams going on with paypal so I wouldn't use it. Ain't heard nothing since lol.

Bullet dodged ;)

I used to sell a lot of high value items on Ebay, and thought Paypal was safe. About five years ago I sold an Omega watch for £2800 and the buyer insisted on using Paypal. I checked and verified the account, and the money was paid and I transferred it into my bank account. I sent the watch three days later. About 4-5 weeks later Paypal took the money back from my account stating that stolen credit card details were used on the Paypal account, and the credit card holder had only realised when his statment was recd. Despite all my efforts I did not have a leg to stand on and Paypal did not want to know and washed their hands of the matter telling me I should have been more diligent!

Now after several more scammers attempting to defraud me I do not bother selling with either Ebay or Paypal

Ebay insist you use Paypal which they own for payments, then if anyone is going to be out of pocket you can be dead sure it ain't Ebay.

When did anyone hear of someone offering to pay more for something?

Bargepole mode!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom