Advice with possible damage at a dealers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Storm

I took my car in for a multipoint inspection yesterday, in order to sign up for service plus (this story is a whole other can of worms so I'll try and avoid going into it here). I took it to my nearest MB dealer who ran the checks and everything came back fine except that there was an issue with a hinge for my convertable roof (I've got an A209/CLK Cabrio).

Ok, so I can deal with that - I'm hoping to avoid the bill here as my car should've been covered seamlessly from the end of the warranty into the ServicePlus agreement, but it wasn't actioned in time due to them losing one copy of my contract and then failing to contact me when they received the second contact. Not my fault the agreement wasn't in place, so I shouldn't pay for any repairs, IMO. Opps, looks like I DID go into it!:rolleyes:

The really issue here is that I receive the report of the damage to the roof hinge and then the next time I got in my car I noticed that the roof lining was all hanging off (basically the inner layer of the roof, that matches the interior has come off at the sides. It looks like it's falling apart and certainly wasn't like this when I took the car in. :mad:

Of course I've contacted the dealer, and they claim that they've not removed/touched it and that they'd have no reason to. Where does one normally stand when it's your word against the dealer? They've said they're willing to take a look, but I'd like to know where I stand before I pay them a visit.

Gah! Cars aren't fun.

I had my car damaged while it was in for a service , there was a small dent in the tailgate , at the time the service rep was too busy to talk about!!!

They did send a "dentmaster" type guy out in the end but it was a pretty unpleasant experience as they claimed i was lying etc etc

I've had a couple of people complain that they were too busy to talk to me. But talk to me (or their manager!) they did on each occasion. It is the one thing which makes my blood boil!

In line with government policy that the tax payer is never right, the policy of the customer is right or even treated with courtesy seems to have gone.

David

That hinge they are talking about is no-where near the roof lining of a cab CLK. I very much doubt they touched it. It may be just co-incidence???

The hinge is a very common fault too BTW

Its quite commom for cars to get damaged in Stealership custody. Had a wheel kerbed and they to denied it and blamed me and only offererd to have the face of the wheel painted (not even a proper refurb) - took two attempts to get it satisfactory (still was not perfect) but in the end I managed to get a brand new wheel under warranty from else where as the touched up wheel started to corrode...;) :bannana:

Would not surprise me if they did cause your roof lining to become like that. Kick up a fuss and ask them for a copy of the pre inspection sheet first (they never normally check the interior) and use that against them once you have the copy and they will back down!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom