Advice would be appreciated

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sammy140913

Car
c270
Hi everyone im new to the site so hope ive posted in the rite section . Im going to view a 2004 mercedes c270 avantgarde it has 190 odd k on the clock and has full sevice history should i avoid this or would it be ok if so what do i look out for asvice would be appreciated
thank you .

Mileage is high, but it depends on the price, and proof of servicing with receipts if possible, not just stamps in the book.
Ask if the inlet manifold has been replaced, or if it has not then check for signs of oil leak on passenger side of engine block, as this will be an expensive repair.
Check for rust in the wheel arches.

2004 should be galvanised and possibly nano paint, so rust should not be as much of an issue as on earlier 203's. Check for clunks from the front suspension, sign that ARB, bushes (centre bush is bonded to ARB so whole thing has to be replaced) and maybe rose joints need replacing. Also check service record for ATF/filter change - if it's not been done (MB claim the 203 auto transmission is sealed for life, but an ATF change is worthwhile, had mine doen at about 70k) it's probably worth doing.

Also check that engine will rev above 3k and kickdown works - if not, MAF is goosed and needs replacing - happened with mine within a month of getting it, luckily covered under warranty.

270 is a good engine - it was the journo's pick of the bunch when the 203 first came out - which is why I bought one! Plenty of grunt when needed, yet also pretty frugal, I'd get 45mpg on normal local runs and 50+ on a long run.

Its a 6 speed maual not auto sorry i should of put that on there and it only has 1 owner from new

That's a rare beast - and traditional wisdom is that it not as desirable (and thus valuable) as the auto, although to a few folk it would be more desirable (I can immediately think of a member on MBOA who only likes maual MB's!).

1 owner and full service history - you could be onto a nice one here if the history (invoices, not just stamps in a book) and price are right! Good luck.

£1990 the price is full black leather all in good condition o test drove it about a hour gearbox smooth engine smooth and pulls like a train when the turbo kicks in .... and all sevices were done at mercedes and he has all receipts for sevice and any work the car has had done

The main issue with the 270cdi is the manifold, the swirl flaps wear and start to leak oil down the block, and the motor that opens/closes the swirl flaps sits under where they leak and it goes into limp mode.

You can remove the manifold, blank the flaps and put a resistor across the motor, they are not needed. However, this is an 8-12 hour job so can get pricey.

I like the 270cdi engine, but I wouldn't buy another due to this unless I knew it had been done already.
Look down the engine block and see if there is any trace of oil down there, if there is walk, if there isn't then I would at least unplug the motor and put the resistor on it. It will run fine with the flaps constantly open.

Now im having 2nd thoughts lol how much would it cost to repair roughly ?

It is all labour, who I used saw the 'how to' online and set a max of 8 hours, it took him 14 hours in the end.

So cost me £520.

That was me supplying an already modified manifold. That would have taken another 2 hours at least to clean out the old one and then plug the flaps.

Don't let it put you off, just be aware.

I did have a look at the engine and it looked pretty clean but oviously didnt want to rake the cover off on the passenger side there was a pipe and it looked like it had a bit of old dried oil on it but i thought its what to expect the car pulled verry well and was smooth but for a 2004 c270 cdi advangarde with full mecedes service history with all reciepts of service and work carried out on it £1990 wasnt a bad price 200k didnt phase me when i saw all.the paperwork is there anything else i should be aware of ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom