Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ToughMudder

Car
Subaru
Hi all

Firstly new to forum so please point me to correct area if posted incorrectly.

I'm currently looking at C63 AMG's and have seen an 08 plate within my budget at dealers with 57k miles on the clock.

Couple of quick questions for those with greater knowledge in the Merc scene -

1. Anything I need to look out for with one on this type of mileage or are they normally pretty reliable for going into the high mileage bracket?

2. Is the 08 a good version or has anything radical happened with newer versions which you would advice me to avoid the 08 year?

3. I'm getting 1 year merc warranty and 2 year servicing - what's the typical cost to continue the warranty after this period. As an example the bmw M5 is approx £90 per month and you need to ensure its taken out before 60k miles (or it increases significantly) is there anything like this I need to watch out for with the c63 and merc deals?

Thanks for any advice folks.

There has been known issues with noisy tappets, head bolts failing on earlier C63's but if you are getting it from a dealer under warranty then if you do get any of these issues get them replaced.

Like most performance cars they are very heavy on rear tyres and the usual consumables such as brakes so have a good look over them and haggle replacements as part of the deal.

The drivers seat wears its pretty much bound to happen no matter what size you are all I would say is that if the previous owners have been lazy and rubbed against the bolster the Nappa leather does not seem to hold up well to this.

Other then that you are looking at usual C Class issues, so the odd rattle may be present behind the dash which is pretty common.

If your budget could stretch to a Post 2011 model you do get a slightly more updated gearbox, and a much nicer dash/facelift. Other then that enjoy it, budget for a LSD and then a remap to release some more power!

In terms of continuing the MB warranty from memory it is around £1200 a year

I brought mine private on a 58 with slightly higher mileage than the one your looking at. I don't use mine as a daily drive so wasn't particularly worried about the mileage. I've now owned it for around 3 years and have had no problems. I just keep the services on schedule even tho sometimes it barely does 200 miles between services. I've read on here of members brand new cars having rattles behind the dash, squeaky seats along with other teething probs. Haven't had any issues like this with mine.

Not sure on your budget? But I brought the pre facelift. A. Due to cost and B. I think the pre facelift looks a lot meaner ( my opinion )

The facelift does have a nicer interior than the pre but that's understandable being a newer model.

Mines a PP model. So on the pre this means alcantara steering wheel, different front discs and harder/stiffer suspension. The latter is something I wouldn't want for a daily drive. It bloody bumpy!!

Depending on what your going for? Don't take sellers word for it if they say it's equipped with LSD. A pre facelift or a facelift come to that have not got a LSD if they're a PP or the later PPP. It was an option. Saying that!! A few early 08 c63 did come with LSD.

The PP ( pre facelift ) = what I've mentioned above.
PPP ( facelift ) = as PP but with calipers in red and extra bhp and forged internals. Everyone on here will tell you. A PPP is not worth going for as a non PPP with a map gets just as much power.

If I remember correct??? To check if a car has LSD it's option 471 on the options list.
Mine being pre facelift I have adaptive brake lights, rear motorised blind, rear side window blinds and xenon headlights and intelligent lights. I think these are optional with the pre.

The one thing that some of the facelifts have got that I like is the intelligent light feature that auto dips main beam when cars approach.

Hope this helps a bit??

Lastly welcome to the forum. And excuse my spelling. I'm well known on here only for my bad spelling lol.

Even though it comes from a Delear, verify the mileage.... check the MOT mileage online, and ask for service history printout to see that the service mileage agrees with the MOT mileage. These cars can be clocked.

Thanks for the welcome and excellent so comments which will help me when I go tomorrow for the test drive.

The C63 along with a Jag XFR supercharged and M5 are the cars on my list.

I took out a stunning looking XFR last week but for some reason the drive didn't capture me at all, and I know the C63 will be tail happy also but the Jag simply wouldn't let you get any real power down.......and that was at low pace in straight road - I'm hoping the C63 lets you get some of its power down as they sound incredible even just ticking over :).

Veilage - what mileage are you getting out rear tyres (with standard driving)...........12k?

Feistmiester - my budget is around 24k. I'd spend more but fortunate enough to have had a lovely daughter join our family recently & want to stay within reasonable buying budget :). I'll find out tomorrow re:LSD -mega issue if it doesn't and deal breaker or just a good add to really have? BTW your spelling looks more than fine to me, and if not who cares as I read yours as I would write so we can both be wrong :thumb:

Markjay - thanks, but worrying that a Merc Authorised Dealer would potentially do this especially when they highly advertise on thier web site that this is an 'additional feature' that all cars sold by them go through these stringent tests and they can 100% confirm as part of thier used approved fleet.

I'll report back tomorrow with how things developed all :thumb:

...Markjay - thanks, but worrying that a Merc Authorised Dealer would potentially do this especially when they highly advertise on thier web site that this is an 'additional feature' that all cars sold by them go through these stringent tests and they can 100% confirm as part of thier used approved fleet...

Sadly, not so.... :(

Welcome to the wonderful world of MB Dealers (and MB-Approved cars) :D

My advice would be - don't take anything for granted. Check everything yourself. Check, check, and check again... do not rely on the car having been inspected etc etc. A quick search on this forum will reveal why.

I am not trying to put you off buying an MB Approved car, just to say that you should treat this purchase in the same way that you would have done if buying form any other dealer. Assume nothing, believe nothing, and above all trust non-one... ;)

Good luck with your new C63 :thumb:

LSD is desirable to 95% of people who buy amg's. Weather they need it or not depends on how theye drive I guess. At the end of the day it's a good selling point from sellers point of view. After all a petrol head can tell another petrol head his new cars got LSD!!

Before buying mine I done a lot of reading up on loads of forums. I knew exactly what spec I wanted and I for my own reasons had to have a PP. LSD was a must for me and this was the hardest thing. Finding one with LSD was a nightmare!! I looked at loads that was advertised as a PP with LSD but none of them actually had it. Even some of the main dealers will tell you if a cars a PP then it has LSD. Not the case. There's probably hundreds of people out there that own a pre facelift c63 PP that think they have LSD but haven't.

There's probably hundreds of people out there that own a pre facelift c63 PP that think they have LSD but haven't.

that goes for PP/PPP cars too! Infuriating how many garages spout out the same rubbish to big up the car they're selling.

I've seen that on approved used website and with an MB warranty it's a steal!!!!

Hi guys

Took the car out a test drive today so thought I'd check in, especially for those that were kind enough to assist me yesterday with thier comments.

Firstly, I'm coming from a very high powered AWD and having taken a Jag VFR Supercharged out in test drive last week my first thoughts were 'am I going to struggle to enjoy a rwd with similair power almost to the Jag'. Well let's just say the AMG was much better at holding the road than its Jag counterpart, and I felt very confident in its ability on the road/bends.

The AMG is a lovely car to drive overall and it certainly stays on my 'want list' for possible purchase very soon.

I've advised the garage I'll consider the potential car purchase over the next week or so and once I've taken out an M5 - which is being brought in for me to test drive at other premises.

For info - The car has PP and also LSD so I'm guessing that's 2 big positives?

Couple of parts that did surprise and disappoint me today - despite booking the test drive on Thursday for today and receiving a phone call earlier today to confirm the time of my arrival and if still planning on attending I was pretty embarrassed and disappointed for the garage to turn up and no petrol at all in car, car very dirty and not been washed for some time, inside dirty but worst of all one fully flat tyre (also alloy wheels in very poor condition for show even though they'd be corrected for purchased). Sadly I'm disappointed by this as I would certainly expect much better for MB large garage - young salesperson was decent enough wee guy and welcome chat without over-pressure but surely a more professional display for potential buyers as this really disappointed me today.

Hi guys

Took the car out a test drive today so thought I'd check in, especially for those that were kind enough to assist me yesterday with thier comments.

Firstly, I'm coming from a very high powered AWD and having taken a Jag VFR Supercharged out in test drive last week my first thoughts were 'am I going to struggle to enjoy a rwd with similair power almost to the Jag'. Well let's just say the AMG was much better at holding the road than its Jag counterpart, and I felt very confident in its ability on the road/bends.

The AMG is a lovely car to drive overall and it certainly stays on my 'want list' for possible purchase very soon.

I've advised the garage I'll consider the potential car purchase over the next week or so and once I've taken out an M5 - which is being brought in for me to test drive at other premises.

For info - The car has PP and also LSD so I'm guessing that's 2 big positives?

Couple of parts that did surprise and disappoint me today - despite booking the test drive on Thursday for today and receiving a phone call earlier today to confirm the time of my arrival and if still planning on attending I was pretty embarrassed and disappointed for the garage to turn up and no petrol at all in car, car very dirty and not been washed for some time, inside dirty but worst of all one fully flat tyre (also alloy wheels in very poor condition for show even though they'd be corrected for purchased). Sadly I'm disappointed by this as I would certainly expect much better for MB large garage - young salesperson was decent enough wee guy and welcome chat without over-pressure but surely a more professional display for potential buyers as this really disappointed me today.

Not acceptable. I know some people seem to accept low standards. But I'd write to the dealer principal, detailing these matters, and asking if he considers this to be acceptable, explaining that it is not in my view, and makes me reluctant to put my faith in his dealership in handling my business.

Agreed, very surprised with this poor level of presentation to new potential customer and the lack of preparation.

Your first sighting of potential new car should be the one that captures you and you think "I must have this" it shouldn't be "I wonder what it would look like clean and with all tyres inflated".

The hunt continues folks........

this one?

Approved Used 2008 MERCEDES-BENZ C63 AMG for sale

The question is, if the car is right for you and within budget, is it worth sacrificing for poor show on the dealers behalf?

Its a tough call, especially with the ££ involved - you should and are not being unreasonable by expecting better standards

this one?

Approved Used 2008 MERCEDES-BENZ C63 AMG for sale

The question is, if the car is right for you and within budget, is it worth sacrificing for poor show on the dealers behalf?

Its a tough call, especially with the ££ involved - you should and are not being unreasonable by expecting better standards

They won't refurb wheels until it's bought as its older/high mileage for a main dealer. If it doesn't sell they will auction it.

I'll swap my 18's for your 19's :D

PPP can be facelift OR pre-facelift.

3. I'm getting 1 year merc warranty and 2 year servicing - what's the typical cost to continue the warranty after this period. As an example the bmw M5 is approx £90 per month and you need to ensure its taken out before 60k miles (or it increases significantly) is there anything like this I need to watch out for with the c63 and merc deals?

Thanks for any advice folks.

We used to extend the warranty on our 63 and Tier 1 cover was close to the Approved Used a Warranty in terms of cover and exclusions.

When our 63 ticked over 60,000 mile threshold, the warranty cost doubled. From memory this meant going up from ~£1200 to ~£2400.

Mercedes do a monthly option but it costs more, again from memory it was ~10-15% more to pay monthly.

Last but not least Mercedes have less comprehensive policies than Tier 1 these days, but the saving didn't seem enough to justify it IMHO.

I hope this helps.

PS Your dealer should be able provide a quote for an extended warranty, or get a quote online: https://www.mercedes-benzwarranty.co.uk/Start

Please note that I entered details for a quote Using the actual mileage which was less than 60,000 miles, and I then generated another quote with what I thought the mileage might be the following year which would be more than 60,000 miles. This told me that the price doubled.

Be warned though, if anyone reading this thread does the same as I did:

The system used by the telephone sales and online service remembered the higher mileage, and wouldn't then provide a quote based upon the actual mileage, and it took a while and a conversation with a supervisor to get them to honour the lower price!

Fortunately I had generated a quote first with the correct mileage, and a Mercedes dealer had serviced the car a few weeks before, both of which helped me to tip the balance in my favour but it was a bit of a struggle!

It can munch through the rears in as little as 4000 miles or less but expect them to last around 6-8000 it depends on right foot, tyres etc....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom