Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ClubberL

SUPPORTER
Car
MB C63 AMG 507 Coupe
I know times are hard for some, but my wife and I have work all through lockdown. I'm looking for a once in a life time purchase of a Rolex. I have a daily Omega, but this will be a piece that will be handed down to my son. All websites which sell, all have the same price. Do any do discount? Or is the price set?

Make 'em an offer and find out...

High Street jewellers will probably offer a discount or accept an offer, and I suspect those sat with stock will be more willing than ever to do a deal.

With a Rolex though, much depends upon the model. On some the waiting list is so long that there’s no need for discounts. I assume you’re talking about buying new?

High Street jewellers will probably offer a discount or accept an offer, and I suspect those sat with stock will be more willing than ever to do a deal.

With a Rolex though, much depends upon the model. On some the waiting list is so long that there’s no need for discounts. I assume you’re talking about buying new?

Yes, purchasing new

The Rolex you may get a discount on are discounted for a reason, i dont know of a gents model that a retailer would currently discount, Rolex have been shut with zero production for some time, stock is low,
Any gents steel rolex you will be lucky to get one in 5 years if you have a relationship with an AD and he does not want you to buy 5k in tat to prop up his figures and sweeten the deal, desireable models are available now from watchfinder and Chrono24 on the grey market at substancial over list pricing.
Some gaudy two tone blue face models may be discounted but precious metal models are horrendous on the eye.

I know times are hard for some, but my wife and I have work all through lockdown. I'm looking for a once in a life time purchase of a Rolex. I have a daily Omega, but this will be a piece that will be handed down to my son. All websites which sell, all have the same price. Do any do discount? Or is the price set?

Rolex dealers are not allowed to discount!

Bear in mind that Rolex are not the best of all watches - however between my son and our wives we have 6 in the family (he has 3). I purchased my first in 1982 & wore and abused it daily until I gave it to my son in 1998 as a graduation / birthday gift. He recently had it serviced and it looks like new. In 1997 I bought a 2 tone sub-mariner which I never took of my wrist (including showering, sleeping etc ) until I retired a few years ago. I had it serviced and it now looks like new.

As said, they are not the best of the best but certainly robust and can take abuse.

Be very careful about where you buy one, there are many, many excellent fakes around.

Without being to nosey, what is your budget?

Rolex range from c£6k to £50k+....

I don't know the answer to this , but just another thought ...

I'm guessing the OP has only been looking at suppliers in the UK - are there savings to be made looking at different markets ? Other European countries , USA , Hong Kong .... duty free shops in major airports abroad ?

Would there be warranty issues if buying from an authorised dealer in a different country ; I know with camera gear , for example , kit can be so much cheaper to buy in the US that even with postage and import duties there is still a saving . With a watch , one could fly out and return wearing it without attracting attention , and the empty boxes could be posted back to a friend or relative .

If you haven't had a Rolex perpetual and buy one don't expect it to keep very accurate time. ;)

How accurate do people realistically need a watch to be? I can live with a minute or two a month & I have to set the date (28, 29 & 30 day months) every now and then & reset the time when I do so. :) ;)

I don't know the answer to this , but just another thought ...

I'm guessing the OP has only been looking at suppliers in the UK - are there savings to be made looking at different markets ? Other European countries , USA , Hong Kong .... duty free shops in major airports abroad ?

Would there be warranty issues if buying from an authorised dealer in a different country ; I know with camera gear , for example , kit can be so much cheaper to buy in the US that even with postage and import duties there is still a saving . With a watch , one could fly out and return wearing it without attracting attention , and the empty boxes could be posted back to a friend or relative .

I don't think there is a warranty issue with Rolex however the possibility of anything going wrong in the warranty period is very remote. Electronics are a different matter and many companies (AFAIK) will not cover "grey market" goods or goods not purchased through their distribution network.

Back when I purchased my sub-mariner I was working 6&2 in Kazakstan (1997). I was able to negotiate a good deal with a guy in Amsterdam (where I lived at the time) by paying him with cash & I wore the watch out on my next rotation to site and got my VAT refund with a result that I got a pretty good deal on my watch. However, I think that it is a lot harder to do these days.

Reactions: 219
How accurate do people realistically need a watch to be? I can live with a minute or two a month & I have to set the date (28, 29 & 30 day months) every now and then & reset the time when I do so. :) ;)

I know a lot of folks that expect them to be very accurate like a quartz battery watch, doesn't bother me or setting the date.

I'll check mine now, time on watch is 09:55, actual time is 09:46, date is 20th (on watch).
Just set time and date, not been set in ages. ;)

I know a lot of folks that expect them to be very accurate like a quartz battery watch, doesn't bother me or setting the date.

I'll check mine now, time on watch is 09:55, actual time is 09:46, date is 20th (on watch).
Just set time and date, not been set in ages. ;)
I still have my dad's 1956 Rolex ( it was his wedding gift from my mum ) which I inherited after he passed away in 1983 . It mostly sits in a drawer since for many years I wore my Omega everyday , and latterly I wore a Pulsar which was a Christmas gift from my partner , for everyday use , since the Omega was picking up too many scuff marks etc , then I got an Apple watch , which I consider a junk watch but always shows the correct time .

The Rolex rarely gets wound up , and I can't remember when I last wore it , but I do remember that when it was my dad's everyday watch , it was very accurate and I can't recall him correcting it . It is a lovely compact and delicate thing , unlike the huge watches which are fashionable today ; even makes my Omega f300 look huge , and it would be considered small nowadays .

The Rolex is of great sentimental value , I have no idea of its monetary value and I would never think of selling it , nor my grandfather's Oris , which I also have ; these will be passed on to my son .

I still have my dad's 1956 Rolex ( it was his wedding gift from my mum ) which I inherited after he passed away in 1983 . It mostly sits in a drawer since for many years I wore my Omega everyday , and latterly I wore a Pulsar which was a Christmas gift from my partner , for everyday use , since the Omega was picking up too many scuff marks etc , then I got an Apple watch , which I consider a junk watch but always shows the correct time .

The Rolex rarely gets wound up , and I can't remember when I last wore it , but I do remember that when it was my dad's everyday watch , it was very accurate and I can't recall him correcting it . It is a lovely compact and delicate thing , unlike the huge watches which are fashionable today ; even makes my Omega f300 look huge , and it would be considered small nowadays .

The Rolex is of great sentimental value , I have no idea of its monetary value and I would never think of selling it , nor my grandfather's Oris , which I also have ; these will be passed on to my son .

How about a pic of the Rolex? Some are getting very collectable!

When I bought my two-tone submariner, I was working in some pretty odd places and always thought of it as a way of getting some fast cash if I needed to!

I did not think that you could buy a new Rolex on line??
As has already been said there are so many fakes about. I personally would go to an authorised dealer with "one in stock" and bid a small discount with them.
Heard of a non reputable jeweller in London who was offering excellent prices on servicing Rolex's, he was actually swapping the original innards with fakes. many people did not find out until years later
I got my Daytona from Goldsmiths in Brighton back in 1993 and got a discount of 7%. Love the watch but regret it has not got the date (did not realise how often you need the date) and because it had diamond hour marks you did not know what time it is in the night!!!
Would not change it though!!!

Servicing at Rolex in Kent is not a cheap hobby though!!!!
kc

How about a pic of the Rolex? Some are getting very collectable!

When I bought my two-tone submariner, I was working in some pretty odd places and always thought of it as a way of getting some fast cash if I needed to!
Here are a few of my various watches ; just to show the Rolex alongside some others , to give an idea how small it is .

Here it is on my wrist , flanked by my 42mm Apple watch , and the Pulsar

20IMG_4011.jpg

And here are some of the others ; L-R Oris , Rolex , Omega , Pulsar , Apple

16IMG_4005.jpg

My grandfather's Oris , alas missing its winder

10IMG_3998.jpg

the Rolex

11IMG_3999.jpg

and side on , showing how slim it is

6IMG_3993.jpg

My Omega f300 Geneve Chronometer , with ESA tuning fork movement , similar to Bulova Accutron - a 'hummer' This was my 18th birthday present from my dad .

12IMG_4001.jpg

The Pulsar

14IMG_4003.jpg

And the ubiquitous Apple watch , first generation

15IMG_4004.jpg

And , finally , a gratuitous shot of my old schoolboy Timex , which I had growing up in the 1960s , I think just about every schoolboy had one , most of my classmates had them . I recently found this when clearing out my mum's garage , hence it being in this condition now , and also missing its winder

19IMG_4010.jpg

Attachments

• 10IMG_3998.jpg
    10IMG_3998.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom