Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That Rolex is really nice!

Reactions: 219
There are no savings to be made as there is no stock globally of any of the desirable models, its waiting on a list if indeed you can get on a list.

Having bought a Rolex Oyster date Just a few years ago, I would not entertain buying another. I already owned an Omega and must say the build quality of the strap alone was far ahead of the Rolex and as already been stated it was not the best timekeeper. 9EEF2C1C-A2C2-4A1A-B529-A895765538E3_1_105_c.jpeg68FEB816-9D93-4050-A59C-336B90AB0F7C_1_105_c.jpeg

I'm going to be in the market for a non date steel submariner in the near future.

My Dad left me a gold oyster perpetual similar to ponto's, his was a 1958 which be swapped for an engagement ring that was thrown back at him by a jilted fiancee.

Anyway, Mum died last month and I have a reasonable amount of surplus jewellery to sell and I thought that it would be a nice idea to buy another Rolex as an inheritance to remember her by. No such luck it seems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to be in the market for a non date steel submariner in the near future.

My Dad left me a gold oyster perpetual similar to ponto's, his was a 1958 which be swapped for an engagement ring that was thrown back at him by a jilted fiancee.

Anyway, Mum died last month and I have a reasonable amount of surplus jewellery to sell and I thought that it would be a nice idea to buy another Rolex as an inheritance to remember her by. No such luck it seems.

I found a jeweller that took my diamond engagement ring off me against a Rolex when I divorced my ex and wanted rid
I didn't realise they need winding up. I never get it out of the box.

Anyway, Mum dies last month and I have a reasonable amount of surplus jewellery to sell and I thought that it would be a nice idea to buy another Rolex as an inheritance to remember her by. No such luck it seems.
No waiting list for used watches. Not such a huge price difference at the moment with the lack of supply of new but does mean with a little research you can get examples from significant years in the model history.
Also, obviously if you prefer the non date then that is what you should get but in general the more complications the better.
I bought my Rolex to remember my grandfather by, hope you find what you want and in my opinion there isn't a better way to do it.

No waiting list for used watches. Not such a huge price difference at the moment with the lack of supply of new but does mean with a little research you can get examples from significant years in the model history.
Also, obviously if you prefer the non date then that is what you should get but in general the more complications the better.
I bought my Rolex to remember my grandfather by, hope you find what you want and in my opinion there isn't a better way to do it.
I hear what you re saying but I'm too scared of buying a fake so would prefer an authorised dealer plus I love new shiny stuff and peeling the plastic off.

As above used is the way to go, the classic 14060 (ND Sub) is a classy watch, i have 1,now 31 years old and looks like new.

I found a jeweller that took my diamond engagement ring off me against a Rolex when I divorced my ex and wanted rid
Don't need winding if you wear them....

23 years old,never taken off for the first 20 years of ownership, had a big service 2 years ago and it still looks good!
19B2558D-11F8-44B7-9FA5-F59E78D3A135_1_201_a.jpeg

Some are manual wind , some are perpetual/kinetic/call it what you will - would by a pendulum weight inside which operates by movement of your wrist .

Having bought a Rolex Oyster date Just a few years ago, I would not entertain buying another. I already owned an Omega and must say the build quality of the strap alone was far ahead of the Rolex and as already been stated it was not the best timekeeper. View attachment 99897View attachment 99898
I remember looking at Rolex watches very similar in appearance to that one when my dad was buying for my 18th birthday ; I ended up choosing the Omega because I liked the tuning fork movement which was high tech at the time . Both were around the same price £130-ish from memory . Watches are a lot more expensive now than they were in the seventies , and both now worth considerably more than when they were new .

I remember looking at Rolex watches very similar in appearance to that one when my dad was buying for my 18th birthday ; I ended up choosing the Omega because I liked the tuning fork movement which was high tech at the time . Both were around the same price £130-ish from memory . Watches are a lot more expensive now than they were in the seventies , and both now worth considerably more than when they were new .

I had one of these (but with the original blue strap). My dad gave it to me when I was ~18 (early 70s) but it was stolen in a burglary in the late 1980s. Designed to be easier to use when worn inside the wrist while using the stop watch!

omega.jpg

Like Pontoneer, I have my father's Rolex: Model 67488 bought in 1991 it, too, is unfashionably small - at 31mm considered now as unisex - laydees, even. But, I would no more wear one of those modern giant timepieces than I would a gold medallion on my silver-haired chest!

1595512179618.png

I have the box, numbers and evidence of a service in 2009 so when I wandered into the Edinburgh agent a couple of years ago, they offered me £5k immediately - about the same as the original purchase price. Even a high class pawnbroker offered £4.7k.

Apparently the identical model sells for over £6k.

It does keep very accurate time - if not to a quartz standard - but will run down in a day if not worn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom