Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Frankw88

Car
W212 e350
Hi all

I have an e350 w212 facelift
Just hit 51000 miles

I know the interval for oil changes is every 17500 miles but was wondering if it worth changing the oil every 10000 miles instead as I’m doing 3000 miles a month and wanna pro long the life of the car

Also I cold started it up the other day with the drivers door open and could smell smoke coming from the exhaust it lasted about 5 seconds nothing was visible just the smell fuel filter was changed about 20000 miles ago

And another thing
The 9g gearbox is quite lumpy in the morning on a cold start one driving but about 10 minutes in once it’s warmed up it’s fine
U can fell it change from 1st to 2nd
Then really noticible from 3rd to 2nd
Gearbox oil was changed at 45000 miles

Thanks
For any help

You've asked the "When to change the oil question". You will get a range of opinions now from 3000 miles upwards. Personally , as you are doing long distances presumably, and using the right spec oil, I'd stick with the advised serviced schedule.

know the interval for oil changes is every 17500 miles
It's not. It's 15,500 miles or annually.
Personally , as you are doing long distances presumably, and using the right spec oil, I'd stick with the advised serviced schedule.
^ This.

The oil in your car, doing 3,000 miles a month, is suffering much less degradation than the oil in a car that's used to drive to the railway station that's 5 miles away and back again daily.

Is it a diesel ? The smell might be the car doing a dpf regen ?

Yes it’s a diesel
Doing a regen on a cold start?

keep to the schedule - just keep an eye on oil level like any good car owner.

Re the gearbox.

They can be lumpy when cold.

There was a software update available. It may be worth checking if your vehicle has had it applied.

Ok I’ll have a look peeps
Is they’re a way I can check the gearbox oil level my self?
Thanks

Ok I’ll have a look peeps
Is they’re a way I can check the gearbox oil level my self?
Thanks
Not really , it’s a fill from below via the gearbox sump drain plug . It is possible but it’s not quick and easy

Not really , it’s a fill from below via the gearbox sump drain plug . It is possible but it’s not quick and easy
It also needs to be checked with the gearbox fluid at a particular temperature. 👍

I change my oil somewhere between 10,000 and the stated 16,000 miles and still runs like a dream with 344,000 on it (when there aren’t other issues). It may be worth putting decent fuel in if possible to keep things running as clean as possible though. I tend to put a tank of V Power every other or third tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom