Advise for dianostic software

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chesusin

Car
MB E220 CDI W211 (2003
Hi,
my car is MB W211 E220 CDI 2002. I do have an ELM327 Bluethooth OBDII interface, and wonder what software i need to be able to read error codes etc?
Is ELM327 limited to only engine module? I would like to scan the car for error codes.

Thank you very much in advance!

Last edited:
Any obd reader will read engine codes.

It's the live data that you need. Most generic code readers are pointless.

The Autel Maxidiag eu702 will perform a live reading (and clear most dash lights) but check that it will work on your model before you buy one (if you decide you want one) but it should do.

Keith

The Autel Maxidiag eu702 will perform a live reading (and clear most dash lights) but check that it will work on your model before you buy one (if you decide you want one) but it should do.

Keith

As above - I have one of these.

In a addition to standard engine and transmission ODBII, it does MB-specific ABS/ESP and Airbag/SRS faults. And it also does (some) live data. Cost is £150-£200.

Last edited:
Oh, and the word you are looking for is "advice".

Hi,
my car is MB W211 E220 CDI 2002. I do have an ELM327 Bluethooth OBDII interface, and wonder what software i need to be able to read error codes etc?
Is ELM327 limited to only engine module? I would like to scan the car for error codes.

to read the odb2 codes properly you will need IDS software, for mecedes, rangerover, mazda this is the software used in the workshop, it also include workshop manuals, and job times for costing jobs, I am not so sure that it will work with elm327 as I had the wired version of this and the software managed to to blow the elm327 interface, this software runs on standard pc, it is a large prog about 3gig if memory severs, but it is able interigate the tcm where outher cant and is also able to reset, the snap on interface works with this software

Depending on your phone, you can download an app which will read the engine codes and give you some live data.
I have used torque on my android phone with a bluetooth elm327 obd interface.
It does a simple job but is not a patch on a decent reader.
May be worth a try as it is free or very cheap compared to other options. You dont have much to lose.

Thank you all for the replies! (Yes i managed to write with typo in a hurry)
But Autel Maxidiag eu702 looks very interesting, i've found a shop in UK (Code Readers Scanners, Diagnostic Cables items in Beat the Garage store on eBay!) selling it and hope they can ship to Norway.
It looks like there is a new version which covers cars up to 2012 (Autel MD702 Elite Engine ABS Airbag Transmission OBDII Diagnostic Scan Tool | eBay
I think it's good to have that option in case i wanna help others :)

And yes, i do have an Android phone and i've used Torque with ELM327 on my X VW Passat. I need to test that out on my current E220 CDI :)

Is there no VAG-COM alike software in the Mercedes world? I could virtually do everything with VAG-COM and VW/Audi cars!

maxcell: i didn't get your points. What is an IDS software? Is it something like VAG-COM (which i've used for many years and still love it!)

I see that it is Newcastle Diagnostics that are selling that Reader. They are a very good company and I buy all my stuff from them as their after sales support is the best I have come across to date and they should post to Norway.

Keith

Is there no VAG-COM alike software in the Mercedes world? I could virtually do everything with VAG-COM and VW/Audi cars!

Oh yes there is, some info about Star diagnosis:
http://www.mercupgrades.com/star diagnosis information-article-24.html

prices are 200€-20000€(+ annual fee) depending are you using genuine software + harware + allowing entry to MB database, or cheep chinese clone device with your laptop...

Do you mean Autel Maxidiag eu702 is sold by Newcastle Diagnostics ?

I see that it is Newcastle Diagnostics that are selling that Reader. They are a very good company and I buy all my stuff from them as their after sales support is the best I have come across to date and they should post to Norway.

Keith

mersum1es: oh, that's pretty expensive. Have you tested that software?

Yes they sell them and I have owned one for over 18 months and it works a treat.

Keith

oh, that's pretty expensive. Have you tested that software?

Yes, I have a cheap chinese version in use. It's not supporting very newest models (2010--> or so), and I dare not do some software updates via device (let them to official dealer), but in addition I have that 'developer mode' option which all indies/dealers are not willing (or capable) to use even asked. There are some extra coding possibilities (for example SBC counter reset)... of course damage too can be done in developer mode if not careful (and some menus are in German only :doh:).

Some other diagnostic devices may have better data logging performance, but otherwise STAR is best for MB, fault codes are most realiable and it will give repairing instructions + part numbers (WIS + EPC included). Owning a one still doesn't make you almighty with you car, there is lot of need for experienced interpretation of codes and parameter values.

Last edited:
Hi lads, just been browsing through this thread wondering if anybody has any experience of diagnostic tools on pre 2004 diesels (specifically a 2003 clk 270 cdi) and could advise on the best hand held?
thanks for any help.

Hi,

You need to use the open source software available from scantoo.net

You can download it here

It will also do live data,, I have the earlier ELM323 serial unit.

Thanks Silver Star, I'll look in to that. I assume it will require Windows PC. Do you know what protocol my 2003 clk would be. I've searched for a plate under the bonnet with it on. The only reference I can find is the owners handbook refers to CAN but the book is for alludes petrol and diesel.

Kwp2000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom