Advise on advisable service work ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

travelininstyle

Car
C-Class Sports Coupe AMG 220 Cdi
:bannana:Had my MOT & 'A' Service schedule today on my C180K - I supplied oil,fob batteries & screenwash - with the MOT offered @ half price @ £27.00 - the total came to £162.00 inclusive of vat - which I thought was great.

I have had advisables and wondered if these seemed fair from a main dealer on a C-Class....

Air Filter £45.00
Fuel Filter £140.00
Spark Plugs £105.00

The prices above include vat and labour - any opinions ? - as I am not practical,I would not do these myself.

Thanks

Don't know the parts prices , but I have done these jobs on various cars .

For my W126 , a genuine MB air filter last year was something like £20 , which I thought expensive as I have bought them for a lot less - time to fit about a minute : lift bonnet , undo clips around housing , 1 wing nut - remove old filter drop in new - do up clips & wing nut - less time than filling up with petrol .

Fuel filter - about £10 to buy - located under car , couple of pipe unions to undo but still 10 mins - 1/2 hour to do job depending on how easily things undo .

Plugs - tenner or so for set of four up to £20 for expensive ones - couple of minutes each to do .

Did they stamp the book?

Those items are considered additional items, and many dealers will refuse to stamp unless they complete the work or you can prove the work has been done recently.

I wouldn't mess about with the plugs and fuel filter myself, but I'd try to get the costs down a bit. Depending upon the model, the fuel filter is either of two extremes - cheap or expensive - sadly it was the latter on my car!!??

Yes,I am all stamped up - I am pretty sure even I can replace the air filter myself - does anyone know the Part Number ? for a C180K Sports Coupe 55 plate ?
I guess a good indie would do the rest fro much less.

Fuel filter - about £10 to buy - located under car , couple of pipe unions to undo but still 10 mins - 1/2 hour to do job depending on how easily things undo .

Even the discounted menu prices that some dealers offer still charge a lot for the fuel filter change - are they just playing on the fact that many people probably would be wary of messing around with anything fuel related?

Well that is a difference !!!!!

:bannana:Had my MOT & 'A' Service schedule today on my C180K - I supplied oil,fob batteries & screenwash - with the MOT offered @ half price @ £27.00 - the total came to £162.00 inclusive of vat - which I thought was great.

I have had advisables and wondered if these seemed fair from a main dealer on a C-Class....

Air Filter £45.00
Fuel Filter £140.00
Spark Plugs £105.00

The prices above include vat and labour - any opinions ? - as I am not practical,I would not do these myself.

Thanks

:) Rang another dealership today whom quoted me approx. £177.00 for the lot !!!! - I have used them before,they are fine,so I do not feel apprehensive - but that's over £120.00 difference - I even rang back to check and clarify that it included service and vat - and it did ! - N.B.
The original quote above was a 'special discounted price' - according to 1st dealership ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom