Advise on boot spolier?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John Jones Jr

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mazda MX5 10AE, W201 2.5-16, W202 230K Sport man, Honda Accord & Suzuki 'Ricer'.
Guys,

I wish to remove the boot spoiler on my C230K and I'm not too sure how to tackle it. It was fixed firstly by four small self tappers from inside the boot lid and also bonded externally too. Removing the screws made no difference it's as firmly in place as it ever was. So, the question is how do I break the bond on both ends of the spoiler without messing up? Thanks in advance.

P.s. sorry, about the poor photo quality.

Last edited:
What will you do about the screw holes though? might be best to leave it be.

What will you do about the screw holes though? might be best to leave it be.

Good question. That's why I haven't done anything about removing it because as you rightly point there will four 3mm holes in the boot lid. After some humming & hawing and knowing full well there's only one proper solution i.e. the holes filled and the lid repainted or a good 2nd lid (if there is such a thing).

Now, I don't want to go down that road as A/ the car needs a few spots sorted on it and B/ I'm concentrating on the mechanics & aiming for more ponies (nearly there). So, to 'solve' the issue I've purchased some S/S flat head counter sunk allen bolts, I'll open up the holes a tad at the top and let the screws sit flush with the lid and just add nuts from behind. I'll protect the little bit of bare metal & add some grease of some sort before fitting the screws. Far from ideal but it's a hell of a lot better than me starting on the b/work just now and it should look neat if incorrect, better than filling and then trying to touch up as I'm not trying to hide anything.

Can you guess I'm not into spoilers? :D ...and both badges are getting the deleted too.

You could try strong fishing line.

I was thinking about that as it's a trick I've used before but I'm not too sure initially that would do the job. If I got a start on the bond, I then think the line would do the rest.

Do you really hate it that much?

It doesn't look too bad and whilst spoilers aren't my thing either these days, it seems like more hassle to remove it than leave it.

At least it doesn't sag like cheapo E36 3 series BMW ones which were all the rage in the 90s.

Why not remove the spoiler and plug the holes with sealer and blind grommets. Probably neater than screws.

Guys,

I wish to remove the boot spoiler on my C230K and I'm not too sure how to tackle it. It was fixed firstly by four small self tappers from inside the boot lid and also bonded externally too. Removing the screws made no difference it's as firmly in place as it ever was. So, the question is how do I break the bond on both ends of the spoiler without messing up? Thanks in advance.

P.s. sorry, about the poor photo quality.

Exactly the same colour model etc as mine, looks quite nice actually but that me. Mines also got a tow bar and I've toyed with the idea of removing it but to be honest in a weird way I think it looks better than without! More substantial is the only way I can justify my view. Also good if someone rear ends me doh I just said that ha ha.

I would replace boot door sell the one you have may take a while to find a good one but you will

Why not remove the spoiler and plug the holes with sealer and blind grommets. Probably neater than screws.

Yep, could do that too.

What about removing the spoiler, any ideas?

As said, fishing line or dental floss should work.

As said, fishing line or dental floss should work.

I'll give it a go with fishing line but I'm doubtful, this is bonded and bonded some more. Whoever fitted it must have believed it was going to generate F1 type down force as there absolutely no give or flex at the mounting points!

It may have been to stop it getting nicked.

Having suffered a stolen spoiler once a long time ago, I made sure the replacement wouldn't come off easily - especially as I paid out to have it colour-coded!

:devil:

I'll give it a go with fishing line but I'm doubtful, this is bonded and bonded some more. Whoever fitted it must have believed it was going to generate F1 type down force as there absolutely no give or flex at the mounting points!

It is bonded with PU adhesive, which sets solid.

You may need a sharp knife, or strong cheese-wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom