Advise on buying a E-Class Estate circa 2005?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wongl

MB Enthusiast
Car
A180CDI, B200d, C300h, SLK250
Hi,

Looking to trade up to a W211 Estate from my W210 Estate. Probably looking for E320CDI circa 2005 to avoid the dreaded rust problems. I have seen a couple MB appoved used cars in my budget and keen to pursue them. Not sure if I should wait until next month when the 2nd prices should become softer due to trade-ins following the mad rush for new 60 plates?

Any advise from follow members as to what I should watch out for? Also anyone knows when the W211 were face-lifted?

Thanks in advance.

Hello

My dads has a 2003 E320Cdi Estate and from new its now the longest car he has owned, no rust on it and it does more mpg now than when it was new.

I'm currently looking at anything from 2006 "56" onwards which was the facelift. Judging by what I've read the facelift was more than just a fettle but solved a lot of niggling problems with the earlier models.

I drove an E280cdi Sport Estate last night and it was a really nice car, just what I'm after - that particular one was a bit pricey but there seem to be a few available.

I asked one of the respected traders on this forum the same thing about used car availability after Sept, but He explained that doesn't seem to happen as much with Mercedes as it does with some of the other manufacturers.

I'm in the market at £18K to £20K that should get me something sensible this one looks like a nice buy but Id like COMAND.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...z/page/2/postcode/rh60ah/radius/200?logcode=p

Last edited:
Also anyone knows when the W211 were face-lifted?

June 2006, I believe, although some pre-facelift stock may have been around for a few months after. You should be able to tell from the engine specification or the front grille/bumper.

I have an S211 from January 2006 and it's been no problem at all. It was a high miler but still in warranty when I bought it two years ago.

I've been running a late '05 S211 (just pre-facelift) for about 3 years now and "touching wood" have had very little problem with it. In fact my only issues have been with paintwork, and that's mostly stone chips which I hope to sort out when I get back from Russia.

The ride is great, even with the upgrade 18" wheels and the interior is a very nice place to be, high quality and very relaxing. I have the Avantgarde and appreciate the little extras that come with this.

The load capacity is what really sold this car to me as I came from a 730d before. We get both our folding mountain bikes in the back without folding the seats even and to me the shape of the estate is very elegant.

Am I a happy owner? Yes, I sure am, even after 3 years which for me is a long time with a car!

Thanks everyone for you contributions to this thread. I will see if I can find a 56 within my budget.

I bought a 56 plate E320cdi avantgarde estate, was looking at a new E350cdi but wanted a light interior this time after numerous black interiors and also didn't like the layout inside the new one as much, felt younger and sportier, but I have been driving BMWs for 10 years and that is not what I buy a Merc for, so started looking for a late W211.
In the end decided I would buy a 60k mile E320cdi for decent money, and when Mercedes see sense and let you order a W212 with a light interior I will swap it.

Having said that I have done 10k miles in the last few months already and now thinking I will just keep it for 3-5 years and run it into the ground as I love it.

In real world motoring is there much between the 280 and 320 cdi's?

A couple of cars I looked at just happened to be 280's but I'd quite happily take a 320, I just don't want a 4 pot in a car of this size.

There is quite a bit in it, however, in this sort of car I would not worry about which one unless you like fast cars.

I just found that used prices there was only around £1000 in it between a 280 and 320 on 56 plates, where as new there is £4k and when looking at 7 year old 270s vs 320s there seems to be £2k in it again, so it made sense to get an E320cdi.

As long as it was an Avanatgarde or sport with a light interior engine didn't bother me, 280 or 320, but most sprts are black.

and when Mercedes see sense and let you order a W212 with a light interior I will swap it.

W212 is available with alpaca grey and almond beige .. both light interiors.

And also natural beige and that rusty brown colour

The ride is great, even with the upgrade 18" wheels and the interior is a very nice place to be, high quality and very relaxing. I have the Avantgarde and appreciate the little extras that come with this.

The load capacity is what really sold this car to me as I came from a 730d before. We get both our folding mountain bikes in the back without folding the seats even and to me the shape of the estate is very elegant.

+1 :thumb:

In real world motoring is there much between the 280 and 320 cdi's?

A couple of cars I looked at just happened to be 280's but I'd quite happily take a 320, I just don't want a 4 pot in a car of this size.

I think in real world terms, day to day driving there is probably not much between the 280 and 320. The 280 is more economical and the 320 gives you that little bit of extra grunt when on the motorway (least that's where it's most noticeable to me). As a generalization I'd say if you spend alot of time on the motorway then the 320 might just edge ahead, otherwise the 280 has it. :D

with the saloon as my guide id say watch out for the following:

sticky cd changer

front seat-back rattle (if the head rests have been forcefully removed, loosing its pinning support once put back in...(if electric that is)

check the side mirrors have not been knocked etc.. sometimes when knocked, they are just clicked back in place, but the mounting would feel vague if done amateurish-ly..

good luck

W212 is available with alpaca grey and almond beige .. both light interiors.

And also natural beige and that rusty brown colour

But the carpets and dash etc. are all black, if you look at the promo video..

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AqHdhtXT38o&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AqHdhtXT38o&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

This has a nice light, luxurious interior.

However, in the UK you can get grey artico if you go SE, but if you want Avantgarde or Sport you get only light seats and door card inserts.

I just fancied something different.

Attachments

• avantgarde.JPG
    avantgarde.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 66
I have the same dislike of different coloured seats plonked in a black interior, it's the one area that Jaguar are head and shoulders above Audi, MB and BMW. Nice colour coded and well thought out interiors.

Well judging by the comments a 280cdi Sport is just up my street, I don't do much motorway mostly flowing country lanes at 50mph and traffic.

I've got a 2005 (pre-facelift) E500.

I bought it 4 months/2000 miles ago. It's on 92.5k miles and currently is has zero problems bar a slightly worn (and extremely-easily fixed) drivers seat bolster.

It's got full electric seven way adjustable memory seats (with dynamic and pulse option), electric memory steering adjustment (two way), auto mirrors, auto wipers, folding mirrors, electric glass sunroof, electric hatch, four zone climate control, TV, DVD, 6 way CD player, COMAND, Harmon Kardon, Blue Tooth, air suspension (full auto control of ride height, spring rate, compression setting and rebound setting), self levelling suspension etc etc and it all works perfectly.

Paint is perfect bar a couple of small chips on the bonnet. No spension rattles, clonks, creaks or groans. No interior rattles or creaks.

I drives like something on half the miles or less.

Londonscottish, I am going to look at that almost identical spec motor later today but with the I6 Straight 6 320 Diesel lump. Will post back later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom