advise on ml270 soot on acceleration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ml 270

Car
mercedes,bmw,peugeot
my first post here goes

purchased a ml270 2001 122k

noticed even just on idle slight soot from exhaust and when accelerating away puf of black smoke but then clears untill you go on boost again

full history but was due a service so i carried out oil,oil filter,air filter changed the maf as old one looked like it had seen better days removed egr gave it a clean as was gunked with crap

put it all back together and its..... the same lol still soot on boost and idle made no differnce

now on driving it with the windows open i heard what sounds like a huge boost leak so bonnet open to look again i can see the injector closest to the bulk head seems wet around it was not pouring just seems like it might have a small leak somewhere and ive had a nose around the intercooler pipes but could find no leaks but im sure i can hear one as driven many high performance turbo'd cars and hated boost leaks

anyone got any suggestions about where to look for the boost leak and about this weaping injector or maybe know why its sooting the smell from the exhaust is definatly unburnt fuel as its foul

any advise would be apriciated:thumb:

Hi,

Check all the large turbo hoses for leaks and splits, it seems to me that that is the cause of excessive soot.

Its common on these engines for the small copper injector seals to leak and cause a build up of a 'tar' like substance (aka 'black death') Remove the plastic engine cover and, with the engine at idle, hover the palm of your hand over each injector in turn, if an injector seal is leaking you will feel a puff of air over the relevant injector.

Its not a big job to replace the seals, plenty of info on the subject if you use the search function on this forum.

Last edited:
no tar like substance on the injector just looks wet with diesel i left engine running and its not driping but clearly a slow leak as if i dry it all off and drive it for a few miles it gets wet again, tried checking pipes to the best i could unable to find a leak but its definatly sucking air from outside

anyone know any where i can take the car i.e someone who knows about them not just gonna try and take me for a ride

im northwest london but willing to travel a bit for someone trustworthy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom