Aerial for RoadAngel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

db1

Hi,

I have an S class Mercedes and want to fit the RoadAngel to it. Problem is that the glass does not allow the GPS signals to penetrate it and you need an external aerial. I went down to Thames Car Radio today and their suggestion was to fit the aerial on the drivers side at the base of the windscreen. Then run the wires through into the car.

I would rather have a more "stealthy" unobtrusive way of mounting this and I was wondering whether anyone had any ideas.

I know that the GPS unit on the Mercedes has a few GPS aerial sockets, but the Roadangel needs the "raw" signal from the satellites as it also has an inbuilt aerial (the one you use with the repeater aerial).

Any ideas welcomed, not sure if their approach is the best/only one.

thanks

DB1

You can get a re-radiating antenna for the road angel - although sounds like if your windscreen is completely covered in the reflective material, the re-rad would need to be mounted outside the car anyway.

OR

What about mounting it underneath a plastic speaker panel on the rear shelf - although you will still need to stick the re-rad part somewhere with line of sight to the Road Angel
?

Hi,

Yes you are right about having to mount it outside the car. I have a reradiating antenna, the issue is that the "receiver" part of this needs to be outside the car. It is the size of a matchbox and has a lead running from it to a small 4 inch wire which is placed on the RA. The question is where one can mount this as all the screens have the metallic coating which blocks the GPS signal. Therefore it cannot be mounted in the car at all. The suggestion was that the "matchbox bit" be glued to the outside of the windscreen on the drivers side and the lead run through to the inside. I would rather not have anything mounted on the windscreen if it can be avoided.

thanks

DB1

that sounds messy ! wouldn't fancy anything stuck on the outside of the windscreen !

Your best bet (although probably exbenzive!) is to get an OEM GPS / GSM roof / rear window mounted antenna - you could get this sprayed body colour and it wouldn't look out of place at all - and then connect to your re-radiating antenna inside the car to run to the road angel.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom