Affordable housing on Greenbelt land in Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Hi

Has anybody had experience or involvement of opposing development of Affordable Housing?

If yes. Please could you PM me. I am looking for some advice and maybe some of your experiences.

Regards

Bruce

Hi

Has anybody had experience or involvement of opposing development of Affordable Housing?

If yes. Please could you PM me. I am looking for some advice and maybe some of your experiences.

Regards

Bruce

Turn it into a dogging site - the developers will look elsewhere ;).

Hi

Regards

Bruce
I have a feeling this could be an interesting thread.
Go on, give us clue, why would anyone want to oppose an affordable housing development?

Long long story.

Other brown field sites are readily available and for sale.

One of these sites was actually dedicated for future affordable housing development.

The selected site is a Green Field Site in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

Out of eight houses being proposed, The Parish Council who support the development have put their names down for seven of them. They have also been able to modify the 106 agreement ensuring that the Parish Council have the final say in allocation.

Allocation will not look at at personal circumstances/need. So we have people with second homes in France etc who have put their names down.

The origonal plan was kicked out 12-0 by County Council.

The ammended plan and subsequent appeal were kicked out by goverment planning inspector.

English Rural (The developers) have now re-applied for the same site but only changed some of the wording in the 106 agreement.

OH, Nearly forgot. Then (now resigned) chair of Parish Council was representing the Parish Council, the Land Owner and the developer at the same time.

Council Survey showed that less than 10 people out of a total of over 500 voted in favour of the development.

I have NO objection to affordable housing. I do have an objection to new housing on Green Field sites which are in a protected area that the local PC will not let you have a dog kennel without objecting.

FYI: Local PC site the AONB when they do not want something built or changed.

Apart from that. This looks like a nice honest deal.

All housing is affordable.

I prefer to buy because I can't be kicked out by the landlord.

It's not like rents are cheaper, in fact the opposite from what I've seen, and none of the rent ends up in your pocket...

our old house had affordable housing built behind it after 2 years. 1 year on and we had it on the market as we were sick of police being round daily, its a shame for the folks that work hard to get these houses, but then you get a few that just go an spoil it. I have made sure our new house has no affordable housing anywhere near

our old house had affordable housing built behind it after 2 years. 1 year on and we had it on the market as we were sick of police being round daily, its a shame for the folks that work hard to get these houses, but then you get a few that just go an spoil it. I have made sure our new house has no affordable housing anywhere near

It's a valid point.

We had a problem estate close by.

Sh*t housing, sh*t people (obviously not all).

Then they knocked it all down and replaced it with modern affordable housing.

Smart housing, sh*t people.

Why this obsession with owning...rent...they do in the rest of Europe.

I quite agree.

However, the term "affordable housing" is at best subjective. One person's affordable house is another's dream that will always be unattainable.

And if you are single, earn the UK average wage of £26k and have a £10k deposit then there are whole areas of the country where nothing is anywhere near affordable. And if you are one of the millions who earns the minimum wage then you will find nothing affordable anywhere.

I have nothing against renting and did so for many years.

Affordable housing is planned for the village where I live and I am not against the idea per se but the small estate will be nearly 2 miles from the centre of town and the bus services here are dire.

So those whose "housing wallets" will be stretched, will have to find the funds to run motor cars and parking fees in addition if they want to be employed where the work is.

This kicked out not being sustainable.

No school
No shops
No doctors
No dentist
No public transport
No local employment

This is tiny village.

Now it appears it may still go ahead. Oh and each house will have parking.

Somebody somewhere benefits from this and I suspect it will not just be the eventual occupants.

I thought that AONB status gave residents protection against this. It appears not.

This kicked out not being sustainable.

No school
No shops
No doctors
No dentist
No public transport
No local employment

This is tiny village.

Bizzarely, a village can somehow still be classed as a Service Centre with most of the above missing even though they are listed as necessary for a Service Centre.

report it to the local government ombudsman, engage your MP, local government minister, set up a website with the official documents on it, social media is also a useful weapon. Also if the field has has been in use as a public amenity for 10 or 12 years be that dog walking, football, annual fireworks you can if you have documentary evidence apply to have it made a village green and then it cannot be built on.

All of that should delay things for some time.

Good luck.

Perhaps the neighbours chimney smoke may put them off :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom