Afghanistan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.

E CLASS

"BBC Website: Afghan campaign 'needs rethink' Talks with the Taliban should be held because the current military action in Afghanistan is not succeeding in achieving a stable solution, say MPs."

In other words its been a colossal waste of good lives, money and time.

Pointless from the start.

"BBC Website: Afghan campaign 'needs rethink' Talks with the Taliban should be held because the current military action in Afghanistan is not succeeding in achieving a stable solution, say MPs."

Seem to recall the Russians found that out in 1988.

So did we a bit before that

1.jpg

Dr Brydon, sole survivor of the retreat from Kabul, 1841

Wars? Collosal waste of money, effort and lives? Government thinking on their feet? Surely not :wallbash::rolleyes:

Has anyone ever conquered Afghanistan?

I guess Blair & Brown didn't read Flashman when they were growing up.

Sadly like many recent USA military adventures its more "Forget it, Jake. it's Chinatown" than "Hasta la vista, baby."

Last edited:
The reason it was interdicted was to remove Afghanistan as an ongoing training centre for AlQueida enthusiasts.

Which has certainly succeeded. The boys and their toys have had a jolly outing. Not many other states are prepared to acknowledge supporting global terror training camps within their borders. The taliban have been prevented from much of their more overt misogyny, booted out of Kabul and emasculated as a threat to regional stability. But I am disappointed by the lack of coordinated action against poppy growing and the heroin trade.

I wouldn't class it as a failure, it is only a failure if you make up a set of goals that have never been declared.

Last edited:
The reason it was interdicted was to remove Afghanistan as an ongoing training centre for AlQueida enthusiasts.

Which has certainly succeeded. The boys and their toys have had a jolly outing. Not many other states are prepared to acknowledge supporting global terror training camps within their borders. The taliban have been prevented from much of their more overt misogyny, booted out of Kabul and emasculated as a threat to regional stability. But I am disappointed by the lack of coordinated action against poppy growing and the heroin trade.

I wouldn't class it as a failure, it is only a failure if you make up a set of goals that have never been declared.

Don't be fooled - all they have succeeded in doing is displacing and pushing the training camps and the problems over the border into Pakistan. As soon as we withdraw they'll be right back.

The Taliban have melted away, don't be fooled that they have been eradicated, a few of them have but there's been a replacement for everyone they've killed I imagine.

Its a corrupt, tribal, lawless country and nothing is going to change that. Billions of dollars in cash (actual dollar bills) has been distributed to various tribes to buy them off. All this has done is provide these turncoats the where with all to buy arms and harness extra powers!

We can't even drive sectarianism out of football in Scotland so what hope do we have for changing the attitude of an entire country???

It will be looked back on as badly planned and executed folly.

Such a shame for the famalies involved.

Last edited:
The sad thing is that a lot of the arms used against us and the Americans were supplied by the CIA to the Afghan rebels to fight the Russians..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom