After a bit of advice if poss.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pilko14

Car
CLA 220d AMG Line Night Edition Plus, Jaguar XKR, Triumph T595 Daytona
Hi all,

I'm just after a bit of advice on which way to go with this as I'm slowly loosing the will.

My car, 2018 model CLA220d is currently at Mercedes due to a couple of issues but they are telling me they cant find any problems with it.

I put the car in under warranty due to the following -

1 - Most of the time from a standing start the engine will die before picking up again, a bit hairy sometimes, especially when it does it pulling onto a busy roundabout. There's other times, but not many that it will try and snap your neck.

2 - In crawling traffic the car is difficult to control, i.e. to keep at a constant speed, sometimes it feels like its holding back, sometimes it feels like its pulling forward. Engine revs fluctuate up and down

3 - Intermittent - On a few occasions when putting the car into park I have heard what I think is a mechanical grind from the gearbox, put it back into drive and then back into park and it goes

4 - Intermittent - When driving at around 60 on the motorway, when I put my foot down to overtake the car had kicked down a gear but the gearbox shudders until I take my foot off the accelerator, I would describe that it feels like clutch shudder in a manual car.

OK, so the scenario with Mercedes,

I dropped the car off at 8am on Monday, the car went into the workshop at around 1.15 and came back out around 1.45 and went on a 5 mile drive. The car war then in their car park until Tuesday afternoon when I got a call to tell me there was nothing wrong. After a bit of disagreement I gave them authorization for one of their guys to use that night, he drove it 5 miles home and 5 miles back the next morning, parked it in their car park until I received a phone call at 4.30 to tell me they cant find a problem, after another disagreement the same thing yesterday. The cars been back in their car park since 8 this morning but haven't had a call yet.

I suppose my question is, after all this, where do I stand as i know the car has issues but Mercedes say it hasn't, I suppose because its not throwing up any fault codes.

Cheers, Kev.

Perhaps you could arrange to take a tech out with you driving and see if you can point out these issues as they happen? Then perhaps swap drivers and see if the tech can notice?
When one 'lives' with a car one becomes quite tuned-in to these things. A fresh driver never has the same degree of feel ...

Aren't they the symptoms of a failing torque converter lock-up clutch (clutch or controls)?

Which should throw up fault codes?

Control side yes - but I think the actual clutch plate can fragment and possibly the supply pressure (if not sufficiently monitored) could go unnoticed by the fault code finding system. The more mechanical the element, the more possible - but I am just guessing.
It does sound like a lock-up clutch snagging - assuming the car is an auto that is!

some of your drivability issues sound typical (characteristics) of a DCT auto not a torque converter auto:(

Morning all,

I've arranged to go out with one of their techs as whitenemesis suggested so I can point out what I think is wrong.

To be honest, its the car dying/lagging that concerns me the most at the moment. It can get a bit nervy pulling out of junctions when its busy with not knowing whats going to happen.

Your problem may lie with the fact that your dual clutch semi automatic gearbox is " intelligent"! :rolleyes: It is to all intents and purposes the same gearbox found in manual cars with electro hydraulic activation of gear selection and the deployment of the twin clutch system. The problem may lie with the fact that gearbox behaviour is dictated by the driver to an extent but its control circuitry also has a myriad of other inputs from other sensors often leaving it two minds what to do. Hence the delay in response to driver input or apparent irrational random behaviour. This could be down to a fault but also down to a failure of the driver to "negotiate " with the gearbox control circuitry. Once any fault is eliminated that's really your only option as the gearbox ain't going to change its behaviour barring any control software updates [ something worth investigating by the way-any software revisions / updates pending which haven't been done] If you can't live wth it and in the absence of any fault codes your other option is to swap it for another model with a torque convertor box?:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom