After bodyshop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model X & Mercedes W212 /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Ive been given advice to avoid washin car after the bodyshop.. I should be picking it up tomorrow but can't stand it being filthy

I'm thinking about cleaning just the non-repaired areas (90% of car) with a microbfibre cloth and sonax detailed? Is there risk of scratching the paint doing this?

Thanks
Abs

This depends entirely on what you had done and when it was done. Most paint & lacquers will be fine to wash within 24 hours. Avoid using any chemicals for a week (this bit is my own thinking and may be nonsense)

Was the advice from this bodyshop? If not, just ask them & see what they say.

You can wash a car after paintwork as long as it's been baked in the oven and then stood to dry atleast overnight, then it's fine to wash just don't put the jet washer anywhere near the painted panels or use a squidgy, give it a week to fully cure but no harm done to wash it as normal and dry with a chamois.

I'd leave it a week to be on safe side

Lacquer takes time to fully cure and although it may appear cured within 40 minutes or so, it will only be so on the surface.

This will be fine for getting it wet (rain) but not so good if you wash it and there are contaminants such as grit on the sponge.

Be careful with jet washing repaired panels; keep the pressure down and the lance angled rather than full on.

To be on the safe side, give it several days to fully cure before washing it.

This might all be slightly moot. - If the car isn't returned dirty then it doesn't immediately need washing anyway?

Hi guys,

I'm not gonna touch it for a week. The rain did a good job gently washing it today :)

Abs

What did you get done though Abs?? or is it top secret and you'd have to kill us??

Passenger side wheel arch repaired as was corroding.. rear quarter resprayed to blend in..

Next time going to have the bootlid repaired... and the passenger door.. finally found a really good bodyshop (thanks to GLK/David)

Abs

Sure

I am over the moon with it

Before:
IMG_2397.jpg

After:
IMG_2387.jpg

All rust fully ground out, water-proof sealant applied on inner lip to prevent return

Perfect paint of rear quarter also

Wow, silver is a horrific colour to match and blend in, too. That looks perfect.

Wow, silver is a horrific colour to match and blend in, too. That looks perfect.

It's a perfect job

I'm just glad David/GLK reccomeneded this place. So close to my house also. Ive been let down by 2 bodyshop's before... glad it was 3rd time lucky

Abs

Well it's been 8 days the rains not let me wash it anyway.

May wash it tomorrow if the weather is good.. I've read to avoid 'strong chemicals' is something like Megs Gold Shampoo classes as'strong' ?

Defo won't wax for a few months as read about the paint off-gassing

Cheers
Abs

If the car has been baked in the oven after painting then you can essentially wash it the moment you pick it up.

I've got a local bodyshop who I've to to know over the years, they've done bits and pieces on my E320 more recently like bump strips and bumpers to remove chips etc. I've spoken to them about this very subject.

If you consider that once they've painted your car they have probably machine polished that panel, you washing it will be absolutely fine. (again assuming it's been in an oven) :thumb:

The only thing I would probably steer away from is a pressure washer on it but any shampoo like the Megs Gold Class will be fine.

P.S - Looks like a top job mate.

Having just had a front end respray and both rear wheel arches painted to cure 13 years of road rash and slight rust signs to the arches, I was advised to only wash for the first 6 weeks.
To additionally use only a Ph neutral shampoo, type that has no wax content. To wash only using a suitable wash mitt and under no citcumstances use a sponge (apparently sponges hold dirt) and not to wax or use any sealer at all. This apparently is to allow the solvent content within the paint to degass as the solvent slowly dissipates, which a layer of wax or sealer would restrict.
After 6 to 8 weeks to then bring the car back and they will carry out a full polish on the car. The guys are fairly well into the "car scene" and they had 2 cars in which had come over 2 hundred miles for paint.
I've had paint done by a number of places over the years and I must say the guys have done an absolutely first class job.

Not sure if any of the above is factually accurate, but I will only wash as advised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom