After market brake disks - wise/unwise?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

u brain

Car
SL65, SLK350
This is all a bit new to me - so I'm hoping I'm not asking a silly question.

The SL65 just failed its MOT on rear brake disks.
I've been quoted £1514 + VAT for a replacement pair.

Now, be default I like to go for authentic manuf parts but when a quick Google revelas pairs of Mintex or EBC disks for £2-300, the question has to be asked - how can there be such a colossal difference?

I realise the SL65 is high performance and while, like any boy would in a Silver MB, I like to think I'm Lewis Hamilton behind the wheel, I obviously don't want to go so far as to have brake disks exploding like him.

So what's the deal with after market disks? Are those brands rubbish? If so, is there anything else in between £300 and £1800 that would be sensible to consider?

Last edited:
EBC in my experiences are made from cheese. I've heard they are better now but I would never touch the stuff.
A classic case of you get what you pay for.
I don't know whether the rear brakes are same as other SLs or different so you'd have to check verbally with a motor factor. I struggled getting pattern discs even for my old C43 as they were different.
If I were you with a 65, I wouldn't look anyway but genuine.
Just my opinion.

Well yes, Like I say, I defer to original parts but £1800 is an eye watering 6 x the price.

I take on board your opinion re. EBC - I wonder if there's anything in between?

Who do you think makes the brake disc's? because it certainly is not MB,

TMD (Mintex) are known as a quality manufacturer of brakes, Some of which are OEM Original Equipment manufacturer.

Original equipment manufacturer (OEM) is a term used when one company makes a part or subsystem that is used in another company's end product. The term is used in several ways, each of which is clear within a context. The term sometimes refers to a part or subassembly maker, sometimes to a final assembly maker, and sometimes to a mental category comprising those two in contrast to all other third party makers of parts or subassemblies from the aftermarket.
In the first usage, the OEM is the company that makes a part that is marketed by another company, typically as a component of the second company's own product.[1] For example, if Acme Manufacturing Co. makes power cords that are used on IBM computers, Acme is regarded as the OEM of the power cords.
In the second usage, OEM refers to companies like value-added resellers, which are the second manufacturer in the definition above. If, for example, Hewlett-Packard sells circuit boards to Acme Systems for use in Acme's security systems, H-P refers to Acme as an OEM.[2][3][4]
In the third usage, OEM is a mental category for all of the makers involved when a final assembly was first built (originally equipped)—in contrast to whoever made aftermarket parts that were installed later. For example, if Ford used Autolite spark plugs, Exide batteries, Bosch fuel injectors, and Ford's own engine blocks and heads when building a car, then car restorers and collectors consider all of those brands as OEM brands, in contrast to aftermarket brands (Champion plugs, DieHard batteries, Kinsler fuel injectors, and BMP engine blocks and heads). This can mean that Bosch injectors are considered OEM parts on one car model and aftermarket parts on another model.

When referring to automotive parts, OEM designates a replacement part made by the manufacturer of the original part.[5] As most cars are originally assembled with parts made by companies other than the one whose badge appears on the vehicle, it may happen that a car company sells OEM spare parts without claiming to have manufactured the part itself.
An automobile part may carry the designation OEM if it is made by the same manufacturer that made the original part used when building and selling the vehicle.[5] The term aftermarket is often used for non-OEM spare parts.[5]
In purchasing parts at national, discount auto parts retailers (e.g., NAPA, Auto Zone, Halfords, Advance Auto Parts, Pep Boys, Motrio, Autobacs, etc.), many parts will have OEM prominently displayed but followed by a qualifier such as "meets OEM standards". Such auto parts are not OEM; they are simply claiming to have been manufactured to the same specifications as the OEM parts—specifications that may well be unpublished and unknowable.

In short find out the original manufacturer and buy that product it will certainly be cheaper than the said amount.

Also speak to one of the tuners like MSL for advice

And try your local motor factor for OEM replacement, as stated in the above post these are usually well known manufacturers

Last edited:
Who do you think makes the brake disc's? because it certainly is not MB,

TMD (Mintex) are known as a quality manufacturer of brakes, Some of which are OEM Original Equipment manufacturer.

Original equipment manufacturer (OEM) is a term used when one company makes a part or subsystem that is used in another company's end product. The term is used in several ways, each of which is clear within a context. The term sometimes refers to a part or subassembly maker, sometimes to a final assembly maker, and sometimes to a mental category comprising those two in contrast to all other third party makers of parts or subassemblies from the aftermarket.
In the first usage, the OEM is the company that makes a part that is marketed by another company, typically as a component of the second company's own product.[1] For example, if Acme Manufacturing Co. makes power cords that are used on IBM computers, Acme is regarded as the OEM of the power cords.
In the second usage, OEM refers to companies like value-added resellers, which are the second manufacturer in the definition above. If, for example, Hewlett-Packard sells circuit boards to Acme Systems for use in Acme's security systems, H-P refers to Acme as an OEM.[2][3][4]
In the third usage, OEM is a mental category for all of the makers involved when a final assembly was first built (originally equipped)—in contrast to whoever made aftermarket parts that were installed later. For example, if Ford used Autolite spark plugs, Exide batteries, Bosch fuel injectors, and Ford's own engine blocks and heads when building a car, then car restorers and collectors consider all of those brands as OEM brands, in contrast to aftermarket brands (Champion plugs, DieHard batteries, Kinsler fuel injectors, and BMP engine blocks and heads). This can mean that Bosch injectors are considered OEM parts on one car model and aftermarket parts on another model.

When referring to automotive parts, OEM designates a replacement part made by the manufacturer of the original part.[5] As most cars are originally assembled with parts made by companies other than the one whose badge appears on the vehicle, it may happen that a car company sells OEM spare parts without claiming to have manufactured the part itself.
An automobile part may carry the designation OEM if it is made by the same manufacturer that made the original part used when building and selling the vehicle.[5] The term aftermarket is often used for non-OEM spare parts.[5]
In purchasing parts at national, discount auto parts retailers (e.g., NAPA, Auto Zone, Halfords, Advance Auto Parts, Pep Boys, Motrio, Autobacs, etc.), many parts will have OEM prominently displayed but followed by a qualifier such as "meets OEM standards". Such auto parts are not OEM; they are simply claiming to have been manufactured to the same specifications as the OEM parts—specifications that may well be unpublished and unknowable.

In short find out the original manufacturer and buy that product it will certainly be cheaper than the said amount.

The thing about buying 'genuine' MB parts, from MB is you are 100% confident they are of original MB quality. Even if the aftermarket parts are manufactured by the same company as the MB parts the quality may not be the same.

Plus with MB parts you get the 2yrs warranty

The price suggests that there's more to it than the usual AMG mark up, and so they may be a bit special or unique to the 65 models. Given the limited potential for sales, if they are 65 specific, then you won't be falling over a pile of alternatives unfortunately.

Have you asked for discount?

Better still ask for a discount at a dealer which has absolutely nothing to do with MB London (part of MB Retail Group) as they're the priciest of all, which are these:

http://www.mercedes-benzretailgroup.co.uk/contact-us

Last edited:
My after markets(tarox) squeaked like a freight train . Took me ages to finally realise it was the disks

Got the from the dealer. Were fine after that.

The thing about buying 'genuine' MB parts, from MB is you are 100% confident they are of original MB quality. Even if the aftermarket parts are manufactured by the same company as the MB parts the quality may not be the same.

Plus with MB parts you get the 2yrs warranty

Geniune Oem will fit how cant they if they produced it 1st time round,

Pagid (under TMD banner) have a 25,000mile and or 25month waranty

There is a need to be careful around accepting the OEM label means the parts are the same as MB badged ones. They may be made in the same factory and even on the same line but costs may be cut during that process by using cheaper materials, fewer test cycles or even completely different tooling.

The discount available from MB parts can be some 10-20%, not quite the £1500 saving but try this first.

There is a need to be careful around accepting the OEM label means the parts are the same as MB badged ones. They may be made in the same factory and even on the same line but costs may be cut during that process by using cheaper materials, fewer test cycles or even completely different tooling.

The discount available from MB parts can be some 10-20%, not quite the £1500 saving but try this first.

So the manufacturer makes the same part twice? research and develops it twice? to charge it out less to the aftermarket supply? hummm:dk:

So the manufacturer makes the same part twice? research and develops it twice? to charge it out less to the aftermarket supply? hummm:dk:

That's the point though, they don't R&D it twice. The aftermarket product is formulaic and simply meets the minimum standard required for, in this case, pads.

I think essentially, Mercedes say to, for example, Bosch "please make us X part to X specification and X quality."
Bosch make said part as requested for Mercedes.
Bosch have the recipe for part X, and the know how to make it cheaper but making it X-20% quality.
They sell that part through motorfactors.

So they make it twice, at two different quality's test both to see which one lasts x period and offer x different warranty periods?

Be nice to see some conclusive evidence of this

Going back to the OPs post for a minute, is £1500 for discs & pads? And fitting? What was the MOT failure for?

At that kind of price I'd get an aftermarket disc from a proper brake disc manufacturer (Pagid, Jurid, ATE, etc) and a set of MB pads

You may be short on aftermarket options for a low-volume car like a an SL65

Nick Froome

OP, you need to check which type of discs are fitted to your car. The after market offerings such as these....

MERCEDES SL Class (R230) SL65 AMG EBC Standard Rear Brake Discs D1753 Only £188.63

...are the same size as the SL55 and other 55K models. These are solid one piece discs, 330mm dia rear and 360mm front.

The SL65 should be fitted with larger 390mm front, and 360mm rear two piece discs ( alloy hubs with steel discs bolted on, also known as composites, as in two different materials, and not confused with ceramic composite.) These are SL65 specific and cost about £750 each.

The front brakes were changed in 2007 and fitted with with six piston front calipers, and the rears stayed the same with four pots. There are several aftermarket options manufactured by companies in the US, but they are still similar cost to the OEM Merc discs as they are low volume high performance alternatives.

Oh come on - you can compare by looking at other aspects of life. If you can afford an SL65, then you obviously have been around long enough to be street wise to afford something like this - you bought a quality car because you were able to compare one with another. Same goes for spares etc

Common sense.

OEM products always have been a rip off. Of course they meet the required spec by the car manufacturers, but this isn't always the highest standard available - it simply meets the car's standards. As long as you stick with a reputable company in the after market area - you will never go wrong. Ferodo / GKN / Bosch / it goes on and on. They are not going to sell you a dud - too risky.
Simply stay away from Woolworth special brake discs.:)

When MB sell discs, they buy from the OEM then ad for their marketing costs, then add for thir liability costs, then add for their handling costs, then add for their customer kudos costs. Buy direct from Joe factors on the street corner - and provided they are genuine brake disc manufacturers with a reputable name and track record - what's the problem?
I'm in the aerospace business where selling parts for telephone numbers is "de rigueur" . The customer wouldn't look at the product if it was "cheap"!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8S9tmy8h1c

2mins 47secs in, clear division in process, one for line manufacturer of the vehicle the other for "auto repair shops"

The only reason for that is that the tanks fitted by robot must be 100% identical or the robot will have difficulty fitting it. Aftermarket parts are fitted by something with more brains than a robot so they don't need to be perfectly welded, which is where the price differ's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom