After-market cat recommendation for 190E 2.6?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

petert1401

Car
190e 2.6 (W201, M103)
Hi everyone,

The catalytic converter on my 190E 2.6 has finally split after 24 years!
If was wondering if anyone might have any recommendations for third-party replacements?
The genuine Merc parts are pricy - though maybe you get what you pay for...

Thanks,
Peter

So long as not a k reg I'd just get a decat pipe knocked up, cats always were just a afterthought on the 190.

I think it's more than recouped it's original "build" carbon footprint!!!

Thanks for the reply. Why 'so long as it's not a k-reg'?
It is a K Reg, with 105,000 miles on the clock, so has many more years left in it yet, though maybe not another 24.

Because after 1992/93 ish (you'd need to check exact date) cats became mandatory on UK vehicles and they need to be present for the MOT test (I think for a while they only checked for emissions, but they're supposed to check they're still fitted nowadays)

Could be worth checking some of the breakers for a good used part if there's no decent aftermarket ones. As you say MB will be pricey but I doubt the aftermarket parts will be of such good quality to last 24 years! :)

It's now a requirement that a cat needs to be fitted if supplied from the factory with one. So was mandatory from a k reg so any reg k or after a mot tester will fail if not fitted. A mot tester is unlikely to look for evidence of a cat on a car before a k reg.

A k reg is unusual in a 2.6 most were 4 cylinder in the run out cars!!!!

If a car has 4 CATs fitted from new do all 4 CATs have to be present for the MOT?

If a car has 4 CATs fitted from new do all 4 CATs have to be present for the MOT?
Yes. but its a 'tricky' one . If the car passes emissions the MOT tester can let it go, but he can also fail the same car for having the cats 'not present' even though its 'clean'.

Secondary cat removal is common ,as is messing around with an exhaust system by the Barry fart box Halfords boys. The MOT tester has no way of testing the sound output in decibels so has the discretion to fail the car/bike for simply having a non standard/modified exhaust. His/Her call, not yours.

Thanks for the reply. Why 'so long as it's not a k-reg'?
It is a K Reg, with 105,000 miles on the clock, so has many more years left in it yet, though maybe not another 24.
That's pretty low mileage for a car of that age, do not be fooled into thinking it hasn't got another 24 years in it, there is an old A reg E class estate used by an electrician around here that is still going strong and a trip to any North African country will show you where old E class go to die..by that I mean live on in the most hostile and demanding environment as taxi's and family workhorses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom