After market head unit.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nicpits

Car
Mercedes w164
Hi.
I have a 2006 w164 ml. It has the ntg2 head unit with harmon kardon.
I really don't like this radio and was wondering how hard it is to fit an aftermarket head unit.
I understand I have to replace the original hk amp.
Does any one have any more info?
Also the location of the amp. I have looked under the rear seats and had a quick look under the drivers seat but can't seem to see it.
Thank you for any help that you may be able to give.

Regards

Nicholas

Hi.
I have a 2006 w164 ml. It has the ntg2 head unit with harmon kardon.
I really don't like this radio and was wondering how hard it is to fit an aftermarket head unit.
I understand I have to replace the original hk amp.
Does any one have any more info?
Also the location of the amp. I have looked under the rear seats and had a quick look under the drivers seat but can't seem to see it.
Thank you for any help that you may be able to give.

Regards

Nicholas

Hi
i have just changed over to JVC KW-V50BT. the old Harmon Kardon amp was removed and another placed to power the sub woofer. It was labour intensive as original unit has fibre optics running to the various components, and with the fitting of the new head unit, new cabling had to be traced through. it was a good 6 hour job. stereo is fantastic as once I have right cable (JVC HDMI type) you can mirror Android and Iphone apps to the screen and some can be directly controlled from the screen like sat nav. Hands free is great and you can use siri as well. I have lost steering wheel controls... not fussed as i never used.. This was much better value in terms of specs than getting a more up-to-date Mercedes head unit. I have to go back next week as aerial reception is bad... but gather this has to be amplified/ boosted so hopefully will be sorted. the fit is perfect and looks factory spec... as I have carbon dipped the interior trims, I will do the stereo surround later too

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. That's the same head unit I was going to use.
Don't suppose you have a picture of it fitted?
Did you do it your self, any idea of the location of the amp?
I was planning on leaving the old fibre optic cables etc so I can return back to factory spec when selling.
Thanks again

Thanks for the reply. That's the same head unit I was going to use.
Don't suppose you have a picture of it fitted?
Did you do it your self, any idea of the location of the amp?
I was planning on leaving the old fibre optic cables etc so I can return back to factory spec when selling.
Thanks again

Hi
Ill send photo later today... new amp was placed in boot. Yeas original cables have been left but decided to remove the main amp etc just to supplement cost of new items. just to note.. you get remote control, but as its a very new unit, you cant get the cable easily here:JVC KS-U60 HDMI this looks like a HDMI lead and plugs in the back and you can then use the iPhone lightening adaptor or Android with the relevant adaptor. I should have read this 1st.. put only plugging HDMI lead in and not getting anything, I did the research and ordered the cable from USA for around £24. I gather if you have some experience in fitting stereos, then you may be ok...

Thank you.
The JVC does seem like an excellent unit. I am yet to see one in the flesh but the iPhone mirroring is what's selling it to me.
Thanks also for the info regarding the hdmi. I will order one ready.

Thank you.
The JVC does seem like an excellent unit. I am yet to see one in the flesh but the iPhone mirroring is what's selling it to me.
Thanks also for the info regarding the hdmi. I will order one ready.

hi here are some photos... let me know what price you are quoted as I can find out out how much it cost on my end..... didn't know individual price as was quoted one off price for whole install

Attachments

• stereo.JPG
    stereo.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 40
  • stereo2.JPG
    stereo2.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 33
That looks really good. I am going digging for the amp today.
I am hoping to do it myself. I enjoy doing it myself. I installed an iPad mini in my last car.
I was thinking of that route this time but I do like the jvc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom