After market parking sensors, no holes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steeve

Car
SL350
As mentioned on various threads, I'm currently researching my next car and the heart is leaning toward an R129 SL. Late 90s, likely a 320. One of my key considerations is how I can make this my daily driver.

For that reason one of the items I would like to explore is possibility of adding parking sensors. I don't fancy drilling holes in the bumpers, so am looking into no hole options. Anyone done anything like this?

Forum searches and general googling reveal two no drill types:

1) Electromagnetic, e.g. : Electromagnetic Auto Car Safety Parking Reversing: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
Seems like they are strips that install behind the bumper

2) Number plate, e.g. :
Traditional sensor types, but in the reg plate mount rather than holes in the bumper

None of these seem particularly popular and none of them have good reviews! I can't be the only person who's ever looked for a solution to this problem, so hoping for insights from fellow members please.

Do the rear bumpers have indents on the inside showing where the bumper needs to be drilled to install the parking sensors? Pretty sure I've seen this on here or t'other side. Comand.co.uk put front sensors on our 2008 S204, no sign originally of places where the sensors should go, but sensors installed (and colour coded to the bumper) you'd never know they were not original! I also had a reversing camera installed and wish I'd also had the rear sensors installed at the same time, i have them on the SLK (but no reversing camera) and wish I had.

Do the rear bumpers have indents on the inside showing where the bumper needs to be drilled to install the parking sensors? Pretty sure I've seen this on here or t'other side. Comand.co.uk put front sensors on our 2008 S204, no sign originally of places where the sensors should go, but sensors installed (and colour coded to the bumper) you'd never know they were not original! I also had a reversing camera installed and wish I'd also had the rear sensors installed at the same time, i have them on the SLK (but no reversing camera) and wish I had.
I don't think sensors were a factory option on the R129 SL, so I doubt there are pre determined markers. Other owners can maybe comment.

It's for this reason (i.e. I don't think sensors on a R129 are oem, but happy to be wrong) that I want to avoid drilling.

I don't think sensors were a factory option on the R129 SL, so I doubt there are pre determined markers. Other owners can maybe comment.

It's for this reason (i.e. I don't think sensors on a R129 are oem, but happy to be wrong) that I want to avoid drilling.
I fitted a ‘no drilling’ sensor strip inside the bumper on a previous car, and tbh, it was never reliable, either crying wolf, or not reacting at all, so I’d take a brave pill and fit proper ones.

OK, the two cars I have subsequently fitted sensors to did have the positions marked inside the bumper, but drilling the holes for the sensors was no problem, the aftermarket kits even included the correct sized drill bit.

I would imagine for any sensor installation the bumper has to come off, and if you are confident in doing this, and doing the lecky bits, drilling should be straightforward, but obviously measuring twice and drilling once if indeed there are no marks. You may have to drill one hidden hole anyway to take the wiring into the car.

FWIW, on the bumper, I drilled pilot holes from inside, then did the full size holes from the outside.

One final point, if you do fit visible sensors, please buy either colour coded, or paintable ones, and spray paint them before fitting. IMO black matt plastic sensors look ‘orrible (with a capital O).

Hope this helps
Malcolm

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom