After Market radio

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,
So I had a read of some old posts ( using Google ) and there it is suggested that there is no switched live from the harness and this needs be taken from the cig lighter.
I am looking at the wiring you have done so far ... did you confirm, by using your multimeter that the heavy brown wire is the earth wire and did you confirm that the other 2 wires.... red with blue trace?? yellow ?? are both power wires? Ign off / ign on ....Red/ blue trace just does not seem right but I have no wiring diagram in front of me to confirm or not.
So simplify things, and just connect 1 power wire and the earth. Stick multimeter probes on these 2 points ( without radio connected ) and check for volts, ign off and ign on. When you have power on these 2 wires then you can plug them into the radio and it should light up.
One small point, whenever i fitted radios I always fitted a fuse holder / fuse in the live wires, do not rely just on the radio fuse.
If it is still sparking with just power and earth then you might have a problem with the radio from it being plugged in incorrectly----possibly a diode gone ---but hope not.

Steve
Hi Steve, I really appreciate your help on this your a star. I have enclosed a link from where I got the colour codes for the wires. If you could have a look and see what you think. I thought the wire from the cig lighter might have already been done with it having an aftermarket unit in before I got this one. How would I go about taking this wire if needed? Thanks again Steve.

Wayne.

http://audiowiringdiagram.com/car/2...-radio-audio-wiring-diagram-schematic-colors/

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Why are you replacing the old radio? Was the old radio working before?
There was no radio in the car when I bought it. It had been stolen. It was an aftermarket one too.

Wayne,
Hi, do you have a multimeter, or just a simple 12 volt light up probe for test purposes. Without either, you are going to struggle. An old bulb holder, 2 bits of wire and 2 croc clips can make a suitable voltage tester, although you can get a tester for £2.
Ok ...I have looked at the link you left and it does indicate that the red / blue is a power wire, however cynical me says I still think you ought test all these wires as previously suggested. It would be interesting to note the status of that green wire with the blue crimp on it. Where does it go, has it got power, is it the cig lighter power wire.?
Just another wee thought is to check the integrity of the wiring, has any of the wiring been damaged by someone ripping out the previous radio. The state of the green wire suggests it wasn't done with much care .
If you were near to Northampton, (next week back up to Fife) I would have a look at it for you.
Steve

Wayne,
Hi, do you have a multimeter, or just a simple 12 volt light up probe for test purposes. Without either, you are going to struggle. An old bulb holder, 2 bits of wire and 2 croc clips can make a suitable voltage tester, although you can get a tester for £2.
Ok ...I have looked at the link you left and it does indicate that the red / blue is a power wire, however cynical me says I still think you ought test all these wires as previously suggested. It would be interesting to note the status of that green wire with the blue crimp on it. Where does it go, has it got power, is it the cig lighter power wire.?
Just another wee thought is to check the integrity of the wiring, has any of the wiring been damaged by someone ripping out the previous radio. The state of the green wire suggests it wasn't done with much care .
If you were near to Northampton, (next week back up to Fife) I would have a look at it for you.
Steve
Hi Steve. The green and black wires are in fact the ignition feed so hopefully this will solve my problems. Thanks again I'll keep you posted. [emoji2] .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom