After Market tyre pressure monitoring systems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tonygw

MB Enthusiast
Car
C250 CDI AMG Blue efficiency diesel
HI Guys

Anybody used these aftemarket Tyre pressure montioring systems you can find on ebay for around £30? My 2012 C250CDi has its own system but its pretty basic, ie warns if the tyre is flat or not. I would prefer a system to tell me what the actual pressures are.

Most seem to use a replacement valve cap pressure sensor with a locking nut. And sit on the dash to be charged via a small solar panel built in.

My question is are these systems safe, any good, will they interfere with the on board merc system?

I am tempted but dont want to waste my money if they are pretty rubbish or ont really safe to use.

Any feedback welcome.
Thanks

I bought the TPMS caps, I tested it and it worked OK, but I am not using them.

There's a warning in the MB owners manual against using these, the issue is that the tyre valve has a built in safety feature, i.e. its design is such that the air pressure is keeping the valve shut from inside. The TPMS caps keep the valve open, so you are relying on the caps themselves to stop air loss.

I wouldn't mind using the type that come complete with the valve and fit inside the tyre, but I can't be bothers to get the tires removed and refitted just fir that... maybe I'll do it when I next need 4 new tires.

This is the after-market TPMS system I bought:

And it shows both tyre pressure and temperature.

And this is why I am not using it any more:

Screenshot-20200702-201423-Drive.jpg

ah good advice, thanks, may be I'll opt or one that fits inside the tyre then? When I get new tyres that is. I was a bit wary of the external valve fitted ones but was in two minds wheather or not to try them. I think I wont. cheers

The tyerpal ones I have on my van cope with 80psi fine. No leaks, pressure drops or anything.

The tyerpal ones I have on my van cope with 80psi fine. No leaks, pressure drops or anything.

I had no issues with mine either, while I was using them. But I have a background in aviation, and bypassing a safety feature is a big no-no.... even if you can't see the risk in doing so. Old habits die hard - I won't be using them.

Reactions: m80
Hi!!
everyone i m driving a w205- c200 at first it display auxiliary battery malfunction and i replaced it with the original battery from Mercedes Benz but the massage is still there after replacing and resetting the error ,please advice

Hi!!
everyone i m driving a w205- c200 at first it display auxiliary battery malfunction and i replaced it with the original battery from Mercedes Benz but the massage is still there after replacing and resetting the error ,please advice

1. Do you have access to STAR diagnostic computer? Some faults cannot be reset by other (non-MB) OBDII scanners.

2. The new battery might be faulty as well (unlikely, but not impossible)

3. There may be a fault with the battery managment module or the Stop/Start ECU. I would start with updating the software on the relevant modules using STAR.

1. Do you have access to STAR diagnostic computer? Some faults cannot be reset by other (non-MB) OBDII scanners.

2. The new battery might be faulty as well (unlikely, but not impossible)

3. There may be a fault with the battery managment module or the Stop/Start ECU. I would start with updating the software on the relevant modules using STAR.

I have tried two different battery’s and both of them are working fine in my friend’s car without displaying any massage on the dash I guess I have to find a workshop with the STAR diagnostic machine(in South Africa) .My main battery is 5 years old and I haven’t change it do you think it might also have an effect on this?

Hi Tmahasa, it would be better if you started a new thread on your issue rather than hyjacking this one.

cheers

Reactions: m80
Hi!!

I have tried two different battery’s and both of them are working fine in my friend’s car without displaying any massage on the dash I guess I have to find a workshop with the STAR diagnostic machine(in South Africa) .My main battery is 5 years old and I haven’t change it do you think it might also have an effect on this?

You need to click the post new thread button at the top right instead of replying to this thread. You will get much more views and answers 😉

I have an aftermarket TPMS fitted to my main [summer] alloys - this is a build-in version, not the dust cap replacement type.
Fitted two and a half years ago, works okay, if a bit slow to update on my iPhone.
I'm thinking of getting a receiver / dongle and plugging that into my head unit.

39878725382_641a4bde37_o.png

28135491219_483a76c0bf_o.jpg

That looks good, I think the built in type is best, so will wait until I need tyres. What make is the one you have. Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom