After market xenon and DAB+ radio

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brutu583

Car
2002 W209 CLK240
Hi guys,

First time poster here. Wondering if anyone could help. I'm look for after market xenon headlamps for my W209 but all the ones I find are for LHD cars. My car currently has halogens and I want to upgrade them. Ideall I'd like ones that look like the factory ones but don't cost a grand each :)

Also, I'm looking for a dab+ radio/navi/tv etc to replace my radio(audio 10) with that functions with the steering wheel controls.

I've had my W209 for just under 2 years and unlike all my previous cars, I don't think I'll be selling this one anytime soon. So I'd like to make it as comfortable as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome Brutu583.

The high cost of aftermarket HIDs is in part due to the requirement for suspension level sensor and headlamp washers, but it is doable.

You might want to try breaker yards instead of buying new MB headlamps?

An effective (if not as attractive) soluton might be Philips xTreme or Osram Nightbreakers.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I'll give those bulbs a look. However, I've tried every breaker yard I could think of in the UK that has an email(I'm in Malta) and I either get no reply or they don't have in stock :/

The search continues...

The xenon headlights are rare, I have been trying to get some for over a year now.

I did find a supplier that sold the aftermarket ones on ebay in the states and he said they can get the RHD ones for the UK market. they were twin projector units with a built in DRL.

As far as DAB radio goes. I would consider an alpine/Pioneer/sony double din touch screen. The Dynavin units look nice but as far as funtionality goes. Rubbish.

Just looked at the dynavins. They do look nice and seem to have all the right features(albeit pricey). Have you heard bad things about them? Is there an alternative that has the same Merc look?

I've heard plenty of bad but also exprienced it first hand. I brought a D99 for my 209 pre facelift and albeit the majority of it works and well. There are a few small annoying features. Not being able to disable the rear camera mode is one. When ever I select reverse, the screen just goes black and say 'Back' no way to turn it off in the menu's and had the autologic connected and nothing in there either.

If I start the car in reverse the radio crashes and restarts. Not all the time, just some.

Oh and DAB is an additional £150 for an addon box.

I'm gonna take it out soon and just get a radio which has DAB and a micro sd slot. don't need anything else. I use a Tomtom if I go anywhere I don't know.

The fit is spot on and looks wise it's perfect.

Well, starting the car in reverse is not an option for me(mine is auto). I just want a unit that looks factory and works without frustration. If the satnav and radio work, and I can get a cheap one, I'd like to get one so as not to ruin the look of the dash with an aftermarket looking radio.

Yeah that was my thinking, Since the last time the unit crashed it now can't launch the nav software. And cos I brought it used I have no comeback on the software.

I'd avoid If I was you.

P3tchy, just checked some forums. The problems you're getting in reverse could be because you have the reverse cam wire plugged into the unit without a camera plugged in. If you take the wire out of the back of the HU, it should fix your problem.

Might be worth checking out.

As for the software, I'm sure there's a download on the Dynavin website. If not, I'm sure they can send you something to put on an SD card.

Last edited:
After market Xenon conversions!!
Xeonon headlamps must have,
1) Headlamp Washers
2) Auto self leveling.
The above items are now included in annual MOT

Auto self leveling would require complete new headlamps with relevant software upgrade. Fitting HD conversions to existing headlamps is not an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom