After nearly 12 years and 168k miles ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flyer

MB Enthusiast
Car
Ford Mustang GT
... I've traded in my CLK :(

clk_sunset.jpg

I drove away from Newgate Motors (now Mercedes Chester) on 1 September 1999 in a brand new CLK320 Sport. Over the years I added 209 17" wheels and COMAND and treated it to regular coatings of Zymol.

And what a fantastic car it's been. It's let me down only once; a crankshaft position sensor had failed, very cheaply replaced. It's not been perfect, I've had problems with wheel balance and unfortunately some rust is starting on the rear arches. That doesn't detract from what has been a brilliant car that has taken me to every corner of the UK, plus the rather boring 80 mile daily commute.

The replacement ... is another CLK :) This one is a 209 320 CDi Sport, bought from our own Jay at Mercland :) no photos yet, but I'll upload one from Jays advert. Only had it a couple of days, but so far it's proving to be pretty awesome. Still has that new car smell as well :thumb:

clk320cdisport_1.jpg

Jay is a gent and was very accommodating with my requests, Mercland is highly recommended :) . Thanks again Jay.

Last edited:
Good Luck with the new motor. Many happy miles to you. Nice to see Jay getting a plug on the car sales front too.

Fantastic.

Always good to hear a happy Mercedes story, especially with one that is deemed to be 'problematic'.

Were you a bit upset to see the old girl go?

Were you a bit upset to see the old girl go?

Oh yes! It's not just a car is it? It's a collection of memories; a holiday to North Devon, the kids in the back laughing their heads off; a weekend away mountain biking in Scotland; weekends spent on the beach at Fistral, the daily traffic jam that is the commute .... so yes, despite driving away in a much superior car, there was much sadness, especially as it was so reliable.

Forgot to add, lifetime overall MPG was 29.75, which I don't think is too bad at all :)

Congrats!
...the daily traffic jam that is the commute
Seems ages ago (but can only have been a few months) that you passed me on the motorway during one of those commutes! :D

Will have to keep a look out for you in your new car :)

Flyer,

Great to hear from you... its been a while... Congrats on your new purchase, it looks very nice... here's to another 12 years....

Greg
Hi Greg, thanks, I did reply on the other thread ... it sure has been a while!

12 years? Nah, not going to keep this one for quite as long :)

Andrew

Congrats!

Seems ages ago (but can only have been a few months) that you passed me on the motorway during one of those commutes! :D

Will have to keep a look out for you in your new car :)

I saw you again a couple of weeks ago, just past the airport turn off .. you were in the inside lane and I was in the outside lane, going a touch faster, on one of those rare occasions where you can ;)

No doubt see you soon :)

I saw you again a couple of weeks ago, just past the airport turn off .. you were in the inside lane and I was in the outside lane, going a touch faster, on one of those rare occasions where you can ;)
I tend to set off in good time and just tootle to work. An open road is a different prospect but for the commute I just set the cruise to 65 and take it easy. I tend to get about 27mpg for the 45 mins of my drive which for a 5.4l V8 I reckon is pretty good :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom