After the M113K 55 AMG - what’s next..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mbzclk

Car
An AMG
So after nearly two years I’ve parted ways with my CLS 55 - firstly what an epic car and engine. I always wanted one from when I watched it on Top Gear! Nice to have also scratched that V8 itch.

But now. What’s next? Initially I was all over a W204 C63 but many of them are owned by people who mod and abuse them, some clean ones exist. However the power isn’t what the 55K was.

Do I go for the W218 CLS 63 with the 5.5TT, I hear not amazing things about the engine and the chain etc.

I think for now; the 4.0TT is out of price reach initially people who owned the M156 didn’t gel with the C63 W205 but with the S and performance exhaust seems people are happier...

Maybe I’m missing the M113K
Maybe the other stuff isn’t drawing me in yet as I’m still very unsure what to go for M156 W204 / W218 M157 / other...

I’m now seriously looking at SL 55 AMG. I can imagine that being even more amazing than the CLS. That engine in that car... I think I can forgive a rather dated 5 Speed box for that.

Will take my time and think about it.

Don't underestimate the importance of the gearbox. It's the weakest link in my S204 C63 and it's also the one thing that makes me window shop for a newer car with a quicker reacting gearbox. Then I remember we will never have a 6.2 litre family estate again so it's staying for a while yet.

Easy - 204 m156.

OP, I had the same quandary when I parted with my CLS 55 after around 3 years. Natural progression was the CLS 63 (W218), didn't want a C63/E63 (pre f/l) as I didn't want the N/A engine.

Then the hunt began for the CLS and I came across the timing chain tensioner issues and that really put me off! :( I was only looking at early one around the 2012 mark and priced around £25k for a decent example and having to worry about a potential repair bill circa £4k when it needs doing, was just too much for me to stomach.

They did sort this issue out on later versions IIRC 2014 onwards.

I looked at various models with the M113k lump, and as they will all be getting on a bit now, will require a fair bit of maintenance which I did't need the inconvenience of constant trips to the indie.
Having said that, I do still love the SL55 and would have one in a heart beat but not as a daily!

Good luck with what you choose, it ain't an easy discussion. :)

If you post up your requirements that may help with input/ideas, as in minimum number of seats required, models that are def a no go (this is just as important to help you narrow your choices down), price, etc.

A non-Mercedes curveball - XFR (or XFR-S if the budget allows).

Bulletproof 5.0 V8 supercharged engine

Quick 8 speed ZF gearbox

Differential same as used by Ferrari - E-Diff - it flits between open and limited slip depending on the conditions.

The ride is sublime.

Don't underestimate the importance of the gearbox. It's the weakest link in my S204 C63 and it's also the one thing that makes me window shop for a newer car with a quicker reacting gearbox. Then I remember we will never have a 6.2 litre family estate again so it's staying for a while yet.

people may not appreciate it but the c class s204 and s205 wagons have near 50 50 front to rear weight distribution and they weigh more than the coupes and saloons , they more than make up for it with that relatively neutral handling

are there any reliable gearbox remaps or mods for faster shifting ?

I had the latest gearbox software put on and it made a fractional difference but also seems less aggressive so it lost some character.

To be honest it's mainly manual mode that's a disappointment due to the pause between asking for a gear and it being executed. The actual shift times are very good in all modes and C is very smooth.

Took it for a blast last night and tried some timed Race Starts, recording 4.3s with ease. That uses S+ and it shifts bang on every time.

CLS63 218 all day long, an amazing car. Yes the camchain / tensioner issue is something you must consider as Abb has rightly pointed out. But as with any car purchase you have to check out the history fully. For some M157 engines the camchain issue may already be resolved, and for 2013 onwards cars significantly less of a risk. If you do buy one in the early age range that hasn’t had the work done, then run it until it needs it doing, or it may just be fine, but have £4K aside just in case.

Just look at it......

77DC842E-EBCA-4A19-9113-79DD25DD82DD.jpeg

65 AMG or 600. Both SL and S/CL came with that V12TT. Different but could satisfy you as a stopgap.

Cons
head bolts - rare
intake manifold/gasket leaks
cam lobes / adjusters

injectors
high pressure pumps
engine harness oil contamination
timing chain tensioners
turbo lag
chain stretch

Pros

sound
most powerful production n/a engine
instant throttle response - no lag.

better mpg
more torque
easier to tune / remap

Last edited:
Cons
head bolts - rare
intake manifold/gasket leaks
cam lobes / adjusters

injectors
high pressure pumps
engine harness oil contamination
timing chain tensioners
turbo lag

Pros

sound
most powerful production n/a engine
instant throttle response - no lag.

better mpg
more torque
easier to tune / remap
Turbo lag?
High pressure pumps?
Injectors?

In what ways are these “cons”. Not noticed or had any of these on mine....

They’re not specifically my issues - ones that I’ve seen discussed about

No Lag :)

Maybe I’m missing the M113K
Maybe the other stuff isn’t drawing me in yet as I’m still very unsure what to go for M156 W204 / W218 M157 / other...

I’m now seriously looking at SL 55 AMG. I can imagine that being even more amazing than the CLS. That engine in that car... I think I can forgive a rather dated 5 Speed box for that.

Will take my time and think about it.

I’ve owned my SL55 for about six weeks now and couldn’t be happier - it is an absolute blast to drive. It’s not a daily driver though...

Good luck with your search!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom