aftermarket front pipe/cat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

turbominor

Car
W202 C180 Auto
about 3 weeks after i picked up my c180 the front pipe under the heat shielding colapsed and started blowing. After a near heart attack due to the cost of the genuine system i have fitted a walker front pipe and cat fitted..

Car now pulling like a train but over 4000rpm sounds very sporty / tinny when the power start to come in, if i hold the autobox in gear and back off over 4000 rpm the enigine is silent... back on the power and sounds tinny again.. I presume the new exhaust needs to get some miles on it to get the inside dirty and quieten down..

Are the 4cyl 16v engines normaly sound a little harsh over 4000rpm (81,000 miles and fsh, full of oil)

Hi

Same thing happened me when i first bought my 190E ( 10 years ago) the front pipe was leaking slightly. I did the same as you and bought the aftermarket part possibly Walker. Immediately noticed it was much lighter than the original and once fitted was far far noisier/tinny. Discovered that the original was double skinned and the pattern new one was not. So i fixed the original and with the mig welder and put it back on, i patched it a few times over the years and it was still on her seven years later when i sold it.

If i was you i would try and get the old one repaired or buy a better double skinned alternative.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom