Aftermarket head unit advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NP01

Car
Vito Traveliner 113CDi
Hi

I've just bought a Vito W639 2012 which has the Audio 20 installed (NTG 2.5) - it supports BT telephone calls but not audio. I play all music (including digital radio) from my phone and also use google maps from my phone for nav. So don't really need a fancy double din head unit as the display is a nice to have but not essential. It would be good to retain the steering wheel controls, but wouldn't be the end of the world if they were bypassed. My priority is a good quality "clean" input for the hertz amp and speakers that I'm about to install. Could anyone recommend options/suppliers that would let me achieve these objectives?

Thanks in advance for any help/thoughts

Nick

I see. What about 3.5mm jack AUX input socket?

Nope - sorry! It doesn't have one of those either - not making this easy am I!

OK, let's see - is it a single disc or a built-in CDC?
Check the eject button - single disc is a standard icon - an underlined triangle pointing up; 6xCDC is a bunch of circles (as in multiple CDs).

Unless someone can tell for sure*, the only way to determine, whether the HU can handle AUX input, is to remove it and check for the relevant pins.

The 639 is the same head unit shape as 169/245, right? Or was it 638 - I forgot.

* The Audio 20 serial number (off a datacard) will give the required details to a professional, like chaps from Comand Online.

That's amazing. I called Command twice today and they asked for the year and said the Audio 20 won't support BT. But they didn't ask any of the detailed questions you just have??

I'll maybe try and get the unit out and take a pic of the data and sockets on the reverse and send it to Command for absolute certainty.

Thanks for helping - really appreciate it.

Nick

Reactions: GLK
That's amazing. I called Command twice today and they asked for the year and said the Audio 20 won't support BT. But they didn't ask any of the detailed questions you just have??

I'll maybe try and get the unit out and take a pic of the data and sockets on the reverse and send it to Command for absolute certainty.

Thanks for helping - really appreciate it.

Nick
I think you can rely on whatever it is that Comand UK said.... they are rarely wrong ;)

^^^ What he said.
I'm asking a lot more questions, because I don't know for sure, having only dealt in details with my model's head units.
They know everything there's to know about ICE, so don't need to ask :)

If your head unit doesn't have the internal circuitry to support AUX input, there's no way to add it, hence no way to get bluetooth streaming.

The only solution would be a replacement head unit: either a fully enabled Audio 20 (if there are any for the 639), or Audio 50, or COMAND - that's pretty much it for the OEM solution.

Of course, you can always fit an aftermarket head unit, these are cheaper, but reliability can be an issue.
If you decide to go that route, I might be able to advise further, as I have done exactly that.

42032264384_81e9394d44_o.jpg

This was fitted over fourteen months ago, and not a single issue so far - everything works perfectly (but there are less fortunate buyers, with failed units, so keep that in mind).

NP01 - No NTG2.5 unit supports Bluetooth Audio. If you had Media Interface (and no Vito came with it ....) you can add a BT streaming plugin device - so we would have told you you can't have BT Audio streaming with your Audio-20

I think you spoke to Becky earlier, so she likely said the only option is to change the head unit if you want BT streaming properly.

We used to suggest adding an AUX and a BT streaming device connected to it, but (a) the sound is not that good, and (b) actually you are then in the money for putting a replacement head unit in - which will be much more modern, and work better.

We like Alpine units, we can supply and fit those with a. 2 year warranty - but actually, you can buy a diskless Sony or JVC plus steering wheel control interface etc for well under £200.

I hope that helps.

Cheers
Richard

ps, the Audio-20 NTG2.5 can support AUX, but it will (a) probably need coding (b) you will need an AUX (c) you will need a BT audio device, which as I say above is more £ than putting a whole new unit in.

Thanks guys. I'm planning on fitting a hertz 5 channel amp and hertz speakers. Don't need a 2 din head unit as I use my phone for all inputs - could someone recommend a single din unit that would provide good quality "clean" input into the amp? Thanks once again for all the help.

Gents - thanks once again for your help. Richard - can you send me a link to the steering wheel control interface - I'm based in Edinburgh - so am likely to have the head unit replaced up here - but would want to preserve the steering wheel interface if possible - presumably this is a plug and play interface that will work with most head units? Or do I need to look out for head units with a particular connection type? (Sorry for the dumb questions - have never done this before).

Thanks once again

Oh - forgot to mention - am going to go double din head unit - so will any std double din head unit fit the 2012 Vito or will I need some form of converter? Apologies once again for the dumb Q's!

The type GLK put up is the same as I have in my 2009 Viano.
There is no need for a seperate amp with these and assuming your existing HU will play straight to speakers this type is pretty much just plug and play..
I could be tempted to add a sub to mine.

9"Android 8.0 Stereo Sat Nav GPS 4G DAB+ Mercedes A/B-Class Viano Vito Sprinter | eBay

What you want is Octa core, 4Gig ram, 32Gig internal storage.
This looks like Erisin to me so should come with IGO Sat Nav, but nothing stopping you downloading your own, I use Tom Tom Go.
I could write loads more but if you search GLK and self you will find masses to read up on, both here and elsewhere.

hi all

In the end I've gone with a simple single din Alpine unit that will (I hope) give me the best sound input quality for my budget. At the risk of exhausting my fair share of goodwill amongst the other forum members... I bought 6.5 inch speakers for front and rear and whilst I've found and purchased 6.5 inch converter rings for the front doors I haven't found the equivalent for the rear panels - am I safe to assume the 6.5 speakers will fit on the rear speaker mounts without adapters? Or do I need to purchase a second set of front door adapters?

Thanks once again

I tried similar some time ago and concluded that unless I spend lots of dosh I'll not improve on the original speakers. I sent the upgrade speakers back.
I may instal a sub at some point, and not because I want to boom out the sound just to fill the lower end some.

But I'm interested to learn how yours turns out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom