Aftermarket Headunit recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just a quick question regarding the Pioneer unit, have you connected a reverse camera or is it even possible, do you know?

Yes you can hook it up, very easy to do.. one cable in the back of the unit for he cam

You also need to wire appropriately to come on when Reverse is selected, I personally haven't done this...

sph-da120-rearlabels.png

As above, camera plugs into the input, Violet/white cable must be wired to reverse so the unit knows when car is in reverse to show camera feed

Camera power can be tapped from rear light I believe?

To be completely honest, I know a few people who have reverse cams and if you have parking sensors it is a bit of a gimmick really :)

If you install it yourself tho for £15 for the camera might as well I guess :) but does involve removing trim etc to route the wiring which is a hassle ahha

Oh yeh, one thing I would recommend is when installing you route a male to male HDMI cable and male to male AUX cable from back of unit into glovebox, you never know when you might need it and not worth the effort of removing radio etc just to plug in an aux/HDMI cable

Last edited:
I've been looking for a while for a android unit (chinese one) that would fit on the the facelift CLK W209 with no luck.

Any of you guys buy any chance crossed one in the interweb?
The size is rather rare 253x120x238 mm

Thanks

The only one I found is this:

8.8 Inch OEM Android 6.0 Radio Capacitive Touch Screen For 2004-2011 Mercedes Benz CLK W209 CLK270 CLK320 CLK350 CLK500 CLK550 CLK55 CLK63 CLK200 CLK220 CLK240 CLK280 Support 3G WiFi Bluetooth GPS Navigation system TPMS DVR OBD II AUX Headrest Mo

There is also a threat here:
https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w209/628553-after-market-chinese-radios-2.html#post7107609

I've been looking for a while for a android unit (chinese one) that would fit on the the facelift CLK W209 with no luck.

Thanks

8.8 Inch OEM Android 6.0 Radio Capacitive Touch Screen For 2004-2011 Mercedes Benz CLK W209 CLK270 CLK320 CLK350 CLK500 CLK550 CLK55 CLK63 CLK200 CLK220 CLK240 CLK280 Support 3G WiFi Bluetooth GPS Navigation system TPMS DVR OBD II AUX Headrest Mo

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w209/628553-after-market-chinese-radios-2.html#post7107609

Read this thread from the beginning :)

Just get a decent branded one

I don't like the looks of the aftermarket units, and these chinese android units have a good "disguise".

I'm looking on those for the simple fact that they cost almost the same as a bluetooth adapter, and since I've tested 2 viseoo units and sap interfaces and none work well in my CLK, so I guess I can test these chinese head units!

Nothing to report as of yet, despite having the head unit delivered within a couple of days of ordering. It looks absolutely spot on in the flesh, better than I hoped, so looking forward to fitting it.
Unfortunately the company supplying the wiring harness etc are not as efficient. Ordered the wiring harness and other leads at the same time (albeit form a different seller), chased them up this week to say I still haven't received my item.
They reply with a tracking number and state an attempted delivery had been made on two occasions and it was up to me to arrange redelivery etc, which is a fair comment.
What I did find odd was that no 'calling card' was left by the RM (who always do) as a last resort (as my postie is absolutely spot on, leaving parcels with neighbours etc, save me going to collect if I am not around).
I contacted main PO to ascertain parcel location with tracking number. Turns out it had been attempted to be delivered, just not at my address!!
I double checked my order email confirmation, yes I had supplied the right address.
This morning I have been to try and sort it at the PO. The parcel is addressed to me with both my forename and surname being mispelt, right number house but the remainder of the address is wrong incl post code, and the contents inside were 95% wrong, as in all the facias, patch lead, wiring harness all for a BMW E90 and the antenna adapter and relevant stereo lead were correct. All in a box marked for a CLK W209.
This many mistakes in one order?? Am surprised its even going!

When I did contact them to confirm dispatch address etc, they just implied there must have been a fault with dispatch/Royal Mail and they would send a replacement item out straight away (this was Thursday) and didn't cough to it all being sent to the wrong address.
Wouldn't have known all the other anomalies had the PO not rang me this morning asking me to pop in and get to the bottom of it.
Will see if nx weeks parcel is any better!!

Hi Abb,

For what I undestood you received also the wrong unit beeing labed for CLK?

It's possible to check the size of the front fascia please?

I don't like the looks of the aftermarket units, and these chinese android units have a good "disguise".

I'm looking on those for the simple fact that they cost almost the same as a bluetooth adapter, and since I've tested 2 viseoo units and sap interfaces and none work well in my CLK, so I guess I can test these chinese head units!

TBH that doesnt look anything like OEM, the Pioneer one I purchased (as was recommended by CLK320x) looks much neater, sharper and is made by Pioneer.
When the replacement fascia plate arrives along with the correct wiring harness I will measure it and get back to you.

If it helps, its cost about £330 for the new head unit (ex display), replacement harness and facia plate, all in all making it plug n play, and should be an absolute doddle to fit (famous last words lol)

Thanks

These wouldn't fit? The last one you linked to looks that it would fit:

android for mercedes clk | eBay

The problem with decent branded ones is they look awful.

The chinese ones (of which I have one plus an amp in the boot) look great...so very close to oem.

The problem with decent branded ones is they look awful.

The chinese ones (of which I have one plus an amp in the boot) look great...so very close to oem.

I guess it comes down to personal preferences and taste. the one I have purchased looks like a tablet once installed, no buttons, control knobs etc, just simple clean uncluttered lines and all touch screen :thumb:

For me it doesn't get any smarter and brings an older cabin a much more up to date feel.

I highly recommend the Pioneer SPH-Da102 £300 new or £150-200 used...

This unit has a very very nice touchscreen and if he has an iPhone is absolutely perfect. If android he can stream music via BT and also has AppRadio support if you get the correct cable for the android phone etc although it's basically best for an iPhone

Kenwood I don't recommend at all, had rubbish audio out of one I had... COMAND UK also stopped supplying Kenwood due to issues

Hiya - I've a Comand unit (2.0 I think), is the SPH-DA102 a direct swap out replacement? As in, is there any kerffufle needed to install it?

Cheers,
Darren.

Hiya - I've a Comand unit (2.0 I think), is the SPH-DA102 a direct swap out replacement? As in, is there any kerffufle needed to install it?

Cheers,
Darren.

No idea about the pioneer, I have a kenwood in mine and have had zero problems. You will at a minimum need to add a switched power as there will only be a perm live feed at the back of comand2.

Well I have read this thread from start to finish and I am more confused than ever. Basically I have a 2007 CLK with a radio/CD player. I want a DAB radio with Bluetooth to connect to my phone. Samsung phone. Not being a techy type person I need to know what I am looking for. Any help much appreciated.

Hi, just helped a friend out with same project on a CLK coupe

Pioneer HU, wiring harness mentioned on page 1 and £100 thown at a local (good) auto audio firm to fit (they, like you, were too far away from Comand On Line to go there)

Then recoup some cost by selling old HU.....;)

I ended up buying and fitting the Pioneer SPH-DA120, the original recommendation at the beginning of the thread, complete with the wiring harness etc. It not only looks amazing, works flawlessly.
I cannot recall if it had DAB, but fulfils your other requirements. Can be fitted yourself if you are don't mind having a go, it really is a plug n play job!

I ended up buying and fitting the Pioneer SPH-DA120, the original recommendation at the beginning of the thread, complete with the wiring harness etc. It not only looks amazing, works flawlessly.
I cannot recall if it had DAB, but fulfils your other requirements. Can be fitted yourself if you are don't mind having a go, it really is a plug n play job!

No DAB on it Abb :)

Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated.
Found this.
Pioneer AVH-X490DAB Double Din CD DVD Car Stereo
Is this favourable and can it be controlled via steering wheel. The company have emailed and said that they have the correct cabling and harness about £70 - £80. Just would appreciate any observations and information you may have. If anyone knows of an alternative I'm all ears

Edit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom