aftermarket rear view parking camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GazM

Car
CLK 500 Convertible
HI
Hope this is the correct part of the forum.

i'm thinking of adding a rear parking camera to my CLK (W209) has anyone done something similar or have any recommendations. i dont particularly want to start running to many cables etc. and have seen some wireless cameras that connect to a rear mirror.
any advice?
Thanks

Not put a camera on, but I have put wireless aftermarket sensors that work fine.
Don't forget that putting anything over the existing mirror will stop the auto dim working (this may also affect the driver's wing mirror dimming too)

That's an interesting point. I've just ordered a cheap replacement drivers mirror glass as the current one is discoloured on the top 1/2 song don't think it will auto dim now. Be interested to know if if anyone else has added a camera.
Thanks

Speak to Alfie or Richard at comand.co.uk in Lightwater, Surrey, would be my recommendation.

I recently fitted one to my old mans Toyota tried the wireless senders they were crap so hard wired it instead the mirror monitor is already quite tinted due to its construction so not sure dimming would be needed. My Dad loves it and in his car its a really good fit.

I recently fitted one to my old mans Toyota tried the wireless senders they were crap so hard wired it instead the mirror monitor is already quite tinted due to its construction so not sure dimming would be needed. My Dad loves it and in his car its a really good fit.

That looks like a neat install. im concerned about wrecking the car in the process of running wires hence thought the wireless option would be good!

It was a fiddly job but you can follow a route from the tail gate through existing conduits under the back seat and then I used the conduits that run along the sils of the car when you pull the plastic runners up there is a cable tray under them, but to be honest in a coupe its easier to tuck the wire into the headlining trims. the wires needed are very thin and with a basic set of plastic trim removal tools from amazon for about a fiver its easy to do. On my Dads Toyota I took the feed for the mirror monitor from the center lighting console in the roof.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I don't Actually have a pic of the camera but I will take one tonight and post tomorrow.

The number plate slots into the black plastic bit you have to break some plastic lugs off and it slots in to a sort of spring loaded pocket, its very secure and a perfect fit for a standard size plate.

for my Dads mirror mounted on I have just realized the I actually ran 2 wires from the rear of the car one for the camera input and one for the power of the reversing lamp as we only wanted the screen live when in reverse (that's different to what I previously wrote) I also did the same for mine but did it so that I could get a signal to the head unit to mute the radio in reverse. hope that makes sense.

I put my rear view cam just below the bumper insert.

markmifsud-albums-my-car-picture8615-smoked-rear-lights-led.jpg

Works for me. On most cars I end up with the number plate in full view so it certainly isn't pointing too low. Mine also has the green yellow and red gradients to gauge the distance with.

not the best image but demonstrates the view. Car is around 1 meter away.
20151006_101858-1_zpsk98fihb0.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom