Aftermarket warranty?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fivehunnit

Car
CLS63 AMG (W219)
So after having my CLS63 (W219) for over a month, I thought the possibility of head bolt and tappet issue wouldn't worry me too much, or at least, too soon, however I'm thinking of one thing or the other and can't quite decide which way to go. Do I pay for the SLS buckets and revised (or weistec) studs to be put in, or do I just get some warranty?
I'm seeing a downside with either scenario, the most obvious one with the replacement parts is the big bill, and pretty much everywhere I look, I get conflicting info on whether the head bolts can be replaced one out-one in, pretty much every post I've ever seen has at least one answer along the lines of 'yes, that's perfectly acceptable' and 'no, definitely not', also I've seen prices for the job vary by as much as £6,000 plus :dk:
Going the aftermarket warranty route may be cheaper in the short term, unless I keep the car for 8 years plus, quotes seem to be around the £1,000 mark per year, but this opens up other areas of doubt for me, such as I need a company which would absolutely cover these issues with no excessive squirming come potential payout time, I've heard of a few which have done this, leaving the customer on their own with the repair bill, for whatever reason they didn't pay out (plus with a lighter wallet from useless monthly payments)
Any advice? Anyone use/d aftermarket warranty with good outcome, or is it just not worth it?
If not, where in the uk would you suggest having the work undertaken?
Thanks.

Yes, I've been with Warranty Direct. Had good service and payout for a wheel bearing. Nice touch is WD are recognised by MB and everything was handled by the service dept online, no paperwork.

One thing with WD, never accept their first (or even second) quote, always haggle. You'll be surprised how for they will come down. Also negotiate extra coverage and reduce exclusions, etc..

Yes, I've been with Warranty Direct. Had good service and payout for a wheel bearing. Nice touch is WD are recognised by MB and everything was handled by the service dept online, no paperwork.

One thing with WD, never accept their first (or even second) quote, always haggle. You'll be surprised how for they will come down. Also negotiate extra coverage and reduce exclusions, etc..

Thanks for the reply, definitely something for me to consider, I will give them a look, can't remember if it was them I got a quote with.

On their site, for just over £600 I get this covered, engine wise, but I'm not sure if technically this would cover a busted head bolt

Engine

The following parts are covered:
All internally lubricated parts are covered including: Camshafts & bearings, camshaft followers & rockers (including hydraulic lash adjusters), connecting rods & bearings, crankshaft & bearings, cylinder block, cylinder bores & liners & seals, cylinder heads, internal bushes & bearings, oil pump & drive, pistons & rings, timing gears & chain & tensioner and valves & springs & guides.
The following engine parts are also covered:
Cylinder head gasket.
The following parts are not covered:
Mountings, exhaust manifolds & exhaust pipes & exhaust pipe gaskets, oil & oil filters, valves and valve seats that are burnt or pitted and any part not specifically listed above as covered.

I've just gone ahead and bought the tier 1 Mercedes extended warranty. Not cheap, but considering the potential costs of any repairs, it enables me to sleep easier at night!

If you don't mind me asking how much did that set you back

Probably around 1800 for less than 60k miles.. big increase when you go over 60k similar to BMW and their farmed out mondial cover.

Yeah I got a quote for mine, like £2,000 plus, I picked my jaw up from the floor, repaired the crack it made in the concrete and closed the tab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom